Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

1280’s 60 in 60

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 1280’s 60 in 60

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Larry B
      Participant

I know it’s a silly and meaningless poll, but it’s still something I like paying attention to every year. Utah will have 6 in the top 10 (assuming Rising, Barton and Kuithe are #1, #2 and #3 like they should be). The Aggies have 2, and the cellar dwellers down South have 2.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

When the season ends, the Utes should have 9 of the top 10.

2 2
      High Uintas
      Participant

According to the 60 in 60, BYU has the best offensive lineman (Pay), the best cornerback (Robinson),the best defensive end (Batty) and 2 wide receivers (Lassiter and Roberts) that are better than anyone Utah has.

3 2
        22Ute22
        Participant

Ehh, some might disagree, but from a preseason perspective, this makes perfect sense. Now granted I don’t keep up with TSPP and their injuries, but if all those players ended the season relatively healthy, it makes sense why they’d be ahead of anyone Utah had.

Lassiter, and especially Roberts, both had better production than anyone Utah has returning. Singer didn’t have a great season at USC. Alford had a pretty damn good season, but you could argue, and I’m pretty sure it’s true, that Alford was still learning the offense, so he might not match that production. Not to mention that Utah historically isn’t pass heavy, and that we have a lot of TE’s and WR’s who can potentially steal receptions away.

As for DE, Batty had a pretty good season and he’s a big dude at 6’5” 275. O’Toole and Fillinger had decent seasons, but we know they were never fully healthy last year. Fano was looking really good, but he tore his ACL.

OL makes a bit less sense unless this Pay guy is really damn good. I’m curious to know where they list Mokofisi and Fano. Granted I’m not as high on Mokofisi as some people are, but he was a pac-12 honorable mention or 2nd team all conference I think?

Whatever the case, I HIGHLY doubt it will be this way at the end of the season. Utah will have 1 or 2 WR’s that will have better stats than anyone on BYU. At least 1, and maybe 2-3 if we remain relatively healthy, DE’s from Utah will have a better season than Batty. I also imagine that Spencer Fano will probably have a very good season. Although I will say that I am jealous of TSPP having a good center. It seems like we have not had good center play since Nick Ford in 2021.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Nah. Vaughn is the best corner in the state, even from a preseason perspective. The poll is biased due to the zoob fan vote.

22Ute22
            Participant

I didn’t mention that and I honestly just missed it for some reason. I agree though, ZV should be ranked the preseason best corner in the state.

3 4
        Larry B
        Participant

To be fair, Pay is probably better than anyone on our O Line. I think our corners will be good, but I’m not quite sold on them yet so I’ll give Robinson the nod for now. There’s no way they have better D Ends or receivers than us.

5 1
        RedUte14
        Participant

i downvoted that because i hate it. lol

ProudUte
      Participant

Worst 60 in 60 that I can remember. I know it is just local media guys voting on what they think. Name recognition is the biggest factor. For example, Fillinger is our highest rated D-end. I think he will be good but probably third on our team. Singer being rated 21 is nonsense, but portal guys rarely rank high in this poll. The top three will be Rising, Kuithe, and Barton. They all have huge name recognition and are indeed projected to be good. Maybe Kuithe should not be that high.

I think at the end of last season there were three guys who were rated in the top ten before the season who deserved to be there at season’s end. There will be some big surprises as there always is.

Hans Olsen is the one who announces the 60 in 60, but he does not vote on it. I would trust Hans more than any other local media guy when it comes to something like this. He knows football and knows the players in this market.

Let’s just get this season started.

ColumbiaUte
      Participant

I also think they chose some of these spots to create controversy/content for discussion. Majority of the top players in the state are up on the hill which could turn off non-Utah listeners

5 1
      High Uintas
      Participant

Shiny individual stats when playing for a bad team don’t mean you’re a good player. If the 1280 gang thinks that Singer isn’t the best receiver, they don’t know football or are being disingenuous to please their BYU listeners. Same goes for any player on that horrendous BYU defense.

UteBacker

It’s designed to spark controversy. Mission accomplished.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.