Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

1st Ute FB player in Portal

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 1st Ute FB player in Portal

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      S.CarolinaUte
      Participant

According to Joe Cole.
      Redshirt freshman linebacker Shay O’Kelly announces his intention to enter the transfer portal, which opens tomorrow. 3-star recruit did not see game action in 2023.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Shay, we hardly knew you…

Ute Dub
        Participant

This will sound arrogant, but sometimes the conversations might go like this: Hey Shay, so, uhh, there’s a big transfer portal guy coming in and he needs your schollie. So, uhh, hope you enjoyed your truck lease and free education for a year. Go Utes!

Utesby1
        Participant

I don’t think he had a scholarship.

Anfernee
      Participant

I was told this today and I’ve heard similar things from others “A bunch of folks in the know on the portal are saying it’s gonna be unlike any portal action we’ve previously seen with some teams being absolutely gutted. Most QBs will most likely stay put, but many key players could be on the move. Most Utah players seem bought into the program, but one never knows. The portal opens tomorrow and will be open for thirty days.” Buckle up.

MDUte
        Participant

Fingers crossed for no big surprises…roster is looking so good right now, just being 4 or 5 dudes away from where we hope to be.

Utah
      Participant

It’s going to be wild. We will be shocked at some of the names that leave. And then we will be shocked at some of the names that come into the program. I dunno. It’s gonna suck overall, but I think we will be a better team when the dust settles.

We don’t recruit well enough to have a mass exodus of big time talent out of the program. BUT, when kids bail from Alabama, Ohio St, G5 schools; we are a good enough program and we put a lot of kids into the NFL that we are a very attractive place for players to come, play right away, win, and go to the NFL.

Players like Cameron Calhoun. I’d bet anything that the coaching staff already has a long list of players thinking about transferring from other schools, they are waiting until they can contact them and then they will go and try to land a few of these kids.

In the same token, I’d bet they already know who wants to leave/who they want to leave (upgrade) and are ready for that.

It will be wild. There will be some angry keyboard warriors. But I think we will end up ok a the end of it.

But it doesn’t mean that this doesn’t suck, because it does.

MDUte
        Participant

Ok, you just got me super excited!! I’m going to stay optimistic we come away net net way ahead…great post and thanks Utah!!

Ute Dub
        Participant

Regarding Utah’s starting 22 I think it will be mostly quiet. I wonder about the 2 deep guys at D tackle, D End and OL.

GameForAnyFuss
        Participant

Speaking of angry keyboard warriors, everyone needs to remember that we will lose before we will gain. Such is the way of the portal. You can’t have players transfer in until after players transfer out. So for a while it will look like the sky is falling, but once all is said and done, Utah will be a better team than they were before the portal opens. Unlike some other schools, Utah’s place in the football world means we will always be a net winner in the portal game.

J Rocksville
      Participant

Looking back at the last few years of transfer portal movement, we have come out way ahead in the talent gained vs talent lost. Hoping the trend continues.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.