ESPN

2025 Recruiting Class

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2025 Recruiting Class

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Zigziggler
      Participant

It appears like we have recruited some quality players and some depth pieces/projects. What positions are we most in need of for 2025? Who are we predicted to land?

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

We need a RB! I believe this will be Bernard’s last season.

camden897
        Participant

@philidelphiaute I believe glover has one more year

Dallas
          Participant

We need a [good] RB.

Anfernee
        Participant

Oh he’s already there. Trust me. Mike Mitchell. Four-star recruit on ESPN out of Middleburg HS. Rated the No. 16 running back in the country on ESPN. Already a program favorite. He’s built but he can run with the best of them, too. In track and field, Mitchell won the Clay County Championships in the 100-meter dash, an event in which he holds a personal-best time of 10.81 seconds, and placed fifth in the 110 hurdles. He’ll be a household name by mid season. If not earlier.

Dallas
          Participant

I sure hope you’re right, cuz I see Mitchell listed as a 3* just under Jaylon Glover. Fingers crossed he’s better than Glover.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

He’s listed as a 4 star per ESPN

Yergensen
              Participant

ESPN recruiting department is one guy in a basement stairwell office with a red stapler.

Charlie
          Participant

I also am hopeful related to Mitchell thinking he may be the best shot at a short yardage back. Is there any reason he didn’t play last year other than to develop and rake a RS year? I would have liked to see him force his way on in a few games.

ukiyoronin
      Participant

I don’t have any special information, but I think this is the year Utah finally recruits a 5* guy out of high school.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I hope you’re right, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

What makes you think it will happen?

MDUte
          Participant

Seeing a lot of smoke about Myles flipping to Utah. Would be so huge to finally get our first 5* recruit. Would also be ironic to have our first 5* recruit be a WR!

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

I keep hearing about it being possible. I guess he’s looking to see if Utah will pass the ball more. I guess that means the Utes are offering him a ton of money to be able to compete with his Ole Miss offer. We just better hope Cam stays healthy because if he goes down, we’re probably going to see a lot of ground and pound unless Wilson is ready to step in and sling it.

Yergensen
              Participant

Myles said he had one question for Utah coaches when he visited this week.

I assume it’s the question you note CCU.

It would be the question I would ask Utah if I were a WR. The stats don’t lie, our WR use is low. So, will Whit ever commit to a vertical pass game?

22Ute22
                Participant

Then this season is time to put up or shut up. This is supposedly the best WR corp we’ve ever had, even though that’s a hard claim to back up since our WR corp has almost never been used to their potential, even with Cam Rising. Tyler Huntley was the only one who targeted WR’s a lot. However, Cam apparently has a lot of chemistry with Pittman and Singer, and of course Kuithe and Money Parks. Then you add in the talented players like King, Ryan, Zipperer, and Washington. Hell, even McClain has shown some damn good potential, and the WR from Syracuse could be solid too. This is the year that Whitt and Ludwig can send a message to WR’s that out offense can feature star WR’s. Honestly, I’d also burn Wilson’s redshirt if necessary. If Utah gets out to a big lead against Southern Utah, Utah State, and Baylor, which we should, I think we should have Wilson play. Not just to get experience, but if he’s a solid player as true freshman, that would be a huge pitch for WR recruits. In the age of NIL and the transfer portal, that is a better option than redshirting.

Dallas
                Participant

Reflecting on his visit, Myles told Tyler Harden, “It was a very good visit. They answered the only question I had, so it was pretty successful.”

Doesn’t sound too high on Utah. But maybe he can play RB??.

Rick
                  Participant

Hilarious post! Made my day!

Charlie
                Participant

I don’t think it (last year’s passing game) need to stay that way. Rising can make it go. He either goes in the first half of the draft of considers another year. Behind him are good options to replace him in 25 and I believe it will be a long time before Utah gets shorthanded at QB because last year left a mark. Utah has little issue missing a throw to a receiver with separation and the recent push with the transfers makes me believe that priority has elevated or Whitted improved the receiver recruiting. Either moves us forward. No reason a good receiver can’t make hay at Utah it may just simply be something that didn’t come into play earlier. The next great receiver at Utah may be noticed more than other schools where it is expected.

ukiyoronin
          Participant

My hunch comes from the amount of players of that caliber that are not afraid to say they have Utah as a top choice. Seems like there are more than usual. I think we’ve got a good shot for Myles and for Lose. Maybe we’ll land at least one of them?

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

You’re right. We do seem to have more interest this year. Hopefully, we can get at least one. I like your optimism.

Zigziggler
      Participant

Would love if we could lock down Adonyss Currie. It seems like we always get a high ranked CB flip. But I agree with the RB. I would love if one of our RB’s turned out. However our track record is that the will be letdowns. Don’t get me wrong we will have a good RB, but probably not great! We are becoming TE heavy. Which is not bad, but it really silos are flexibility. Gotta throw the ball to attend ack WR’s, gotta have a great line to run the ball.

krindor
      Participant

As of right now (and with the extremely important caveat that it’s still early, meaning both that we can get new commits and that existing commits can have their ratings change)…

… our recruiting class doesn’t appear to be as strong as past years or as our Big 12 competition.
      There’s obviously exceptions in recruit ratings, but as a general rule and across large sample sizes, higher rated recruits end up better players.

247 recruiting class rankings are problematic because they put (too much) extra weight on class size. So I generally prefer average recruit rating. But even that has issues since it says a class with 3 90 rated recruits is better than a class with 3 91 rated recruits and an 86.

So probably the best way to do it is to compare the average recruit rating for the top X number of recruits.

Which you can easily do at this link, clicking on the bottom line to determine how deep into the class you want to compare.

Of course, this doesn’t really meaningfully show the difference in classes since it’s on a 0-100 scale… when recruiting for P4-type schools realistically takes place entirely in the 85-100 range. So here’s a zoomed in version which more effectively shows those differences.

You’ll note Utah is towards the bottom, both due to lacking higher-end recruits (starting out in the middle) and due to less high-rated depth (dropping as the # considered increases)…though still noticeably better than BYU (which is crazy to me because I keep seeing BYU fans on CougarBoard ecstatic about their class).

Anyway, I know it’s common to argue that Utah has always done less with more, and that’s true to some extent, but compare this to the same chart for last year’s class – available here.

Last year Utah had some of the better recruiting in the class. Like I said it’s still early and there’s still a lot that can change… but from a purely statistical mindset, it looks so far like a bit of a down year in Utah recruiting.

Anfernee
        Participant

I rarely pay attention to the recruiting rankings anymore, mainly because of the transfer portal and unlimited transfers. A commitment right outta HS doesn’t mean what it used to. I view recruiting now almost a year to year thing. With the portal. But also a mix of HS kids, try and get the Utah ones especially.

MDUte
          Participant

The other thing that will make it hard to gauge IMO is if/when Myles commits…and possibly Cunningham as well. Utah adding a 5* + another 4* will heavily skew the team ranking and avg/recruit rating. Definitely want both of them and to see us land our first ever 5* recruit. But I’m not sure it’s a fair representation. As much as I want to get our first ever 5* player, I’d much prefer the situation we had in 2023 where we landed 10 4* players than just a couple and 1 5* that skews the numbers.

But at the end of the day, I trust our coaches with these lower rated kids. They continue to bring in the same types of highly talented players each year that they turn into studs and even draft picks. After a decade of following recruiting, Utah’s coaches have proven over and over again that they evaluate and project talent FAR better than the ratings analysts.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.