Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

3* DT Semi Taulanga from Meter Dei committed to Utah

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 3* DT Semi Taulanga from Meter Dei committed to Utah

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant
      6 3
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

I guess we don’t compete for 4* players anymore. Not enough NIL money? Has the strategy changed to going after portal guys?

MDUte
        Participant

We’ve had more blue chip players come on official visits than ever before. And they’ve loved their visits to Utah and included us in their final 3 to 4 programs. But we are losing out because these top rated kids are being told and believe they need to play in the P2 to get the necessary exposure to achieve their career goals. It’s not to say we won’t win a few here and there. But we’re seeing a bit of a drop from our height experienced a couple years ago. And yes, our approach has also changed to saving room for more transfers each year to compensate. And this has been working very well. But in terms of blue chip talent, it makes it even more important we keep the top instate kids home, like Jerome Myles. The highly rated instate kids present our best shot at bringing in this level of talent.

All this said, the sky definitely isn’t falling. Utah is still getting, on avg, the 87/88 rated high 3 star talent we’ve always gotten. But it’s a little lower than the peak we experienced 2 years ago when we were approaching an 89 avg rating. I do think the great work our coaches are doing by getting more and more blue chip kids to come on OVs is not lost. We will likely see a couple of these kids transfer in down the road if/when things don’t workout for them at the programs they choose to go to out of high school.

3 2
          Central Coast Ute
          Participant

The problem with 87/88 kids is they need time to develop. So the Utes can spend a lot of time and resources developing a kid, and then he can bail to the P2.

MDUte
            Participant

Very true. Being a feeder for P2 schools is always going to be a concern as long as we’re on the outside looking in.

4 1
          Utah#1
          Participant

I think winning the two Rose Bowl games against Ohio St and Penn St wouldn’t hurt recruiting and believe it could have made a difference.

Anfernee
        Participant

He will end up being a 4☆ IMO

“247Sports analyst Greg Biggins is high on Taulanga’s potential. In his most recent scouting report on the standout lineman, Biggins lauded Taulanga’s ability to compete amongst other high-level college prospects in Southern California’s vaunted Trinity League. on Taulanga’s potential. In his most recent scouting report on the standout lineman, Biggins lauded Taulanga’s ability to compete amongst other high-level college prospects in Southern California’s vaunted Trinity League.” 

“Taulanga is one of the region’s top two-way lineman. He’s being recruited primarily on the defensive line but could easily play center or offensive guard at the college level as well. He’s on the shorter side at around 5-11 but isn’t small and checks in at a solid 300 pounds. He’s arguably the most technically sound lineman in the state and plays with advanced technique and leverage. He knows how to uses his hands, has multiple moves and counters to win at the line of scrimmage and plays with maniacal effort. On Mater Dei’s loaded defensive line a year ago, Taulanga was the leader and most dominant player in the trenches. He projects as a nose guard or three-tech who’s strong enough to take on double teams and will be a tough one on one matchup as well, especially in pass rush situations,” wrote Biggins in June. 

2 2
        GameForAnyFuss
        Participant

If the strategy hasn’t changed to going after portal guys, it should. Portal is all that matters any more. HS recruiting is irrelevant.

ProudUte
      Participant

BYU was confident they were going to get this kid.

krindor
      Participant

He’s lower rated than most of our recruits…but I do like him. Very much a guy who has had high level performance against great competition, but is getting mostly dinged for his height.

Makes him a high variance player. If his height is enough of an issue, he won’t be playable. If it continues to not be an issue, then he could be a stud. Would rather take a risk on the high variance than get the guy who is guaranteed to be fairly adequate

2 1
      Uteanooga
      Participant

Utah is in a transition period and needs to win to keep the recruiting going. Utah will still be able to recruit elite talent but will continue to be at a disadvantage compared to the USC’s of the world. UCF is in our league and look at their developing class:

https://ucf.rivals.com/commitments/football/2025

Utah has always done less with more and will need to continue to develop players. In the new world they will have to figure out how to develop and retain players.

I am not going to worry about Utah’s poly DL recruits. What is the point? The coaches have put together outstanding lines for decades. If the coaches like him that is good enough for me. I’ll save my worry for something more constructive- like what am I going to have for dinner? Yum.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

???

Utah has always done less with more

Uteanooga
          Participant

Ha- I must have had USC on my mind.

Utah has always done more with less- at least in terms of recruit stars!

3 1
      RedUte14
      Participant

i’m

BD
      Participant

Holy! Look at the film on this guy! I am not a football DL evaluator at all, but my untrained eye can see that Scalley and co are going to turn him into a wrecking ball putting fear into opposing OLs.

Forget the star rating. I remember when one of the recruiting sites listed Leki Fotu as a 2-star.

This guy is a Ute through and through.

Smart guy too since he didn’t choose BYU. It seems some BYU fans were expecting him to choose them.

Hudl video

Utecity
        Participant

His tape is super impressive, I think he’s underrated as far as his ranking goes for sure.

High Uintas
      Participant

Worrying about his 5’11” height is misplaced anxiety. His 300 pounds (before his senior year and before the Utah coaches get a hold of him) is a much more important metric. This kid is a steal and grossly underrated. He is going to be an excellent DT. Technique and intensity are off the charts. I worry about Utah’s recruiting ratings slipping but I’m not worrying a nanosecond over Semi.

UtahMan17
      Participant

Great activity, good athleticism, good playmaking, good hands, great motor & hustle, and the Utah staff NEVER takes undersized DL unless there is some other serious contributing factor, so that tells me that this kid has a legit DT sized frame and growth trajectory. Plus if he’s a mission kid then he won’t count in this class, so the hand wringing is for nothing.

UtahMan17
      Participant

*accidental double post*

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.