Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

9 wins…

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 9 wins…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      THEeyepatch
      Participant

At first I was going to bag on the Utes but it’s a 9-win season with the possibility of winning 10. Yeah, Travis Wilson threw for 108 yards which is laughable and from what I’ve been reading from around the horn (I didn’t see the game), Utah had a lot of stupid penalties but it’s a win. Utah finishes 2nd in the Pac-South where many projected another 5th place finish. 6-3 in conference isn’t bad. Sure, Utah had the chance to win the South but it just wasn’t in the cards.

I’m not buying into the ‘Co-Champions’ that I’ve seen others saying, USC won the South. Beat Utah head-to-head, end of story.

I like this Williams kid, I’ll miss Booker but Williams is ready to reload at RB I think it’s safe to say. 187 yds on 34 att for a 5.5 average, this kid is ready for the heavy lifting. Even busting a 64 yard run. I like what I see.

This win goes out to the Seniors, you’ll be missed and good luck in all your endeavors. Let’s get a bowl win!

GO UTES!

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I anticipated an 8-4 season and I figured we would be in 4rd to 5th place in the south. So the team exceeded my expectations.

I heard the term “co-champions” on TV! To me though we are 3rd in the south since we tied USC and UCLA but they both owned a tiebreaker against us.

Some people get bent out of shape when people say “if you would have told me at the beginning of the season we would be 9-3 I would be happy.” I don’t get that. 9-3 with our schedule is damn good.

That said, our offense was pretty poor on many levels aside from the rushing game. If we had just a mediocre passing game we could have been in rare air, Rose Bowl, CFP… who knows.

Williams is a speedster. Ne needs to work on ball security though. And I’m not sure he would be as durable as Booker.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Next year we will likely have Williams and Williams in the backfield. Should be a great combo for the read option as you’ll never know which Williams has the ball 🙂

89ute
      Participant

I like this Williams kid, I’ll miss Booker but Williams is ready to reload at RB I think it’s safe to say. 187 yds on 34 att for a 5.5 average, this kid is ready for the heavy lifting. Even busting a 64 yard run. I like what I see.

I think after you watch the game you might change your opinion on this. Joe Williams was beaten to hell. He had to come off the field a handful of times. I was sure he was out for good when Bubba replaced him for a series, but he surprisingly came back. Joe will not last more than a half a dozen games against P5 competition at 30 carries a game.

However, I’m excited to see what the offense looks like next year. I’m not buying the rebuild thing, not buying winning the south next year either but we could at least stand pat with 8-9 wins.

Let’s say we would have pulled out the Arizona game in OT. Yes, we should have but throwing this team at Stanford next Friday would be ugly.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Participant

Are you serious? Joe Williams played phenomenally all things considered. Do people think it is normal for a running back to get 34 carries? On 90% of CFB teams they split carries between at least 2 running backs. This is something that Utah hasn’t done because Booker has proven (or at least we thought) he could run it 30 times a game and be productive with out depleting himself.

Next year the Joe Williams/McCormick 1-2 punch will be great. Add in the fact that Troy Williams (Possibility Chase) will be true dual threat QBs and I think we will have ZERO issues in the run game.

89ute
          Participant

Yes I’m serious. I’m responding to “this kid is ready for the heavy lifting” and the fact that THEeyepatch didn’t watch the game. Otherwise, I agree with you. Joe cannot do “the heavy lifting” and I think you are making the same point.

Wilson’s Mustache
            Participant

I guess I took what you said as saying that Joe Williams isn’t good enough to be the go-to-guy, but I think I know what you’re saying now.

Too early Utah 2016 Prediction:

Utah will be picked 5th in the South again, but will surprise some people. They won’t win the division, but it won’t be the giant step back that many think it will be.

Anonymous
              Inactive

I believe Utah will take a step back. Utah loses the best Linebacker combo it has ever had. Losing Wilson will be huge he wasn’t a Heisman by any means. I believe the passing game suffers because of the lack of receivers and an offensive identity.

I am also looking forward to McCormick to come back. He will be a nice change of pace back. I am interested to see Hansen at a linebacker spot if he can rehab quickly and hit the weight room. Joe Williams has ball security issues and that needs to be addressed. Without Covey in the slot I shudder to think who the QB will throw to.

I am pretty doom and gloom but I think 6 wins will be amazing for 2016. Every team Utah plays next year takes steps forward I just wonder if Utah will.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Those in the media who follow the team closely say that Hansen will not move back from Defense. He’s too good back there already and he has a weak arm.

Troy Williams was a dual threat QB coming out of HS, but if you look at his stats now, he’s a passer.

bopahull
      Participant

One little correction Ute Hub, UCLA wound up with 4 conference losses after losing to USC. We are either co division champs with the same Coference record or 2nd behind USC because of head to head.

rbmw263
      Participant

9-3 with wins over ranked Michigan and Oregon is great. But its less great when you consider we started 6-0 and ranked 3rd. Third year in a row we’ve started great and absolutely crapped the bed (remember being 4-2 after beating top 5 Stanford?).

This is a trend that HAS to stop. One thing id suggest is moving the BYE week back. Whit seems to love having it before conferene play, or at the very beginning. Save it towards the end of the year when injuries are stacking up

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.