TCU @  Utah
ESPN

AI Play Calling

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SalUTEtheU
      Participant

Do you think Ludwig could be replaced with Artificial Intelligence. There has to be a ton of data sets out there that an algorithm could use to determine the right play call based on the down and distance. It could take into account the team and opponents tendencies. It could rely on data from practices, scrimmages, and games. The algorithm could then figure out how to use our talent optimally. I feel like it’s something that could be a total game changer in football. If artificial intelligence can predict my likelihood of default when I take out a loan, why can’t it devise an offense system that is unstoppable?

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Seems like the analytics would approve this idea.

SalUTEtheU
        Participant

It was the analytics post that got me thinking about it. We are using analytics already to determine whether we go for it on 4th down, why not use artificial intelligence to tell you what play you should call in that situation. It would sure beat 4 runs up the middle to only get stuffed on 4th down.

We have to have some data science majors or professors on campus that could create the algorithm. I think we have a ton of resources on campus that we don’t utilize well enough. For example, the concourse issues could be an amazing case study for the operations management courses to tackle.

SalUTEtheU
        Participant

Sorry duplicate post.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

It already happens in every sports video game where the computer plays one of the teams.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

They need analytics to analyze the analytics.

Dallas
      Participant

I believe malcome gladwell (or one of his cronies on Pushkin) did a piece on this, and apparently the analytics show pretty clearly that you should go for it on 4th down every time, no matter what.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.