Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

An Inconvenient Truth

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football An Inconvenient Truth

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      2 1
      press-on
      Participant

Visualize this and choose (has a lot, perhaps everything to do with our current situation):

Imagine you are an exceptionally talented 4 or 5 star high school football recruit whose offer sheet you have whittled (no pun intended) down to Utah and Oregon. Which program do you choose?

Oregon! Sorry guys, but that’s the reality.. and IT IS what YOU would choose ….. all the way to the bank. Why? If you have to ask why, you’re not really paying attention to college football and the real world. Oregon wins that battle 10 out of 10 times, often offering a multiple of 10 times what Utah can offer. I know, I know Oregon can’t officially offer anything according to NIL protocols. WINK, WINK! It’s life folks in the year 2024 and the foreseeable future.

This is the reality! In the blink of an eye ‘college football’ has disappeared or should we say transitioned into a MINOR LEAGUE FOOTBALL enterprise. That’s right, we’re talking Minor League Football now in RES and nearly every college and university is sponsoring it, too! Accordingly, that is going to be the next step for the courts. … to determine whether public colleges and universities should be in the business of subsidizing, essentially, professional teams and players as they move along within a minor league/major league football structure.

Meanwhile, we the fans are left wondering, squabbling and finger pointing at the coaches and everything else under the sun as to what’s happening to our QB room, and our RB room, and the LBs, and the ‘on and on’ current problems within the program, while BIG money gobbles up the top players and coaches and delivers championships to the massive dollar institutions.

Myself, Not happy at all about all this, but it is the new show in town! Comments please!

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I don’t really think this overall point has anything to do with Utah’s current situation. Rising had money bags thrown at him for 2-3 seasons now. Same as Kincaid. There are times Utah kept the player.

Oregon has been doing the Phil Knight thing for some time. Same as USC, Ohio st, Bama, Florida yada yada yada.

Utah can only control what they can control. Right now they have done a poor job at doing that while in years past they have done really well. Now as a whole Whittingham still has a very good record and I have enjoyed the run. Right now is pretty critical though. That final little relegation to potentially play with the big boys is there for the taking.

Larry B
      Participant

So to sum up what you’re saying, the current NIL system is bad for teams like Utah. I don’t think you’ll find anyone who disagrees.

I have found that my interest in college football is at an all time low this year, partly because of the two year drama surrounding the program but mostly because of NIL/portal rules. I haven’t missed a game in roughly 20 seasons, but I’m actually contemplating on whether or not I’ll renew my tickets next year.

KLars04
      Participant

We’ve never been a team that will get a lot of 4 star guys and we’ve never gotten a five star guy. Our recruiting has really only ramped up the last few years including a couple of seasons ago being in the top 25 for the only time in program history. I can see us losing battles because of NIL and maybe losing out on opportunities sure but the type of players Utah recruits I think will continue to be readily available. Now more than ever, programs like Utah need to recruit guys that will commit to the system and use NIL to keep their proven commodities around. I don’t know, I don’t think NIL changes the type of high school athlete Utah recruits as a program. However, the transfer rules and NIL can impact us more. That’s more of a concern for me is if we have a very talented freshman or sophomore that proved their worth and then they ditch us for one of those top tier schools because we can’t offer what they can.

Hellhound152
      Participant

And…

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Have you seen Oregon’s cheerleaders?

UteBacker

Uh, our cheerleaders more than hold their own, Tony.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I don’t think any Utah fan would argue otherwise.

Anfernee
      Participant

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.