Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

And the annual LarryK player exodus begins . . .

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) And the annual LarryK player exodus begins . . .

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      5 13
      UteThunder
      Participant

Matt Van Komen “intends to enter transfer portal”

Cue the “he’s a stiff and we have better players coming in next year” crowd.

Rinse and repeat.

8 1
      gcyrust
      Participant

Not saying Larry doesn’t have issues with transfers and the overall success of the program, especially given his compensation package. But are you aware Wichita State had six (6) players enter the transfer portal? A few years ago Gregg Marshall was one of the hottest coaching prospects in the country. Now essentially his entire team wants to leave. So yes Larry has problems, but the reality is transfers and the immediate need for playing time and such are a fact of life of college basketball 2020.

GameForAnyFuss
        Participant

Facts like yours really kill our little rants…

8 1
        CincyUte
        Participant

We had six guys who played a combined 167.3 minutes per game.  Next year, they’ll each expect to play as much as they did this year.   

That doesn’t include Brenchley (18.2), Plummer (15.2) and Thioune (9.0).

And we have three guys coming in next year that should be playing at least 15.0 per game.  Some will play much more than that.

There’s only 200 minutes per game to go around.

Do the math.  We’ll probably lose another player.  It’s hard to see players leave, but it’s not a blight on Larry.  It’s just the nature of things nowdays.  And in the end, we’re going to be better and better over the next few years.

5 5
          UteThunder
          Participant

Not a blight on Larry?

The national average for basketball transfers from 4 year universities is 14%. Larry averages 25%. 

I don’t know how anyone can keep spouting the “we’re going to be better” when we have 5 years of this garbage and the team isn’t getting better from year to year. 

CincyUte
            Participant

If Allen and Jones transfer, then yeah, we’ve got issues.

But when Gaskin transfers to Montana and Kolbe Caldwell transfers to Southern Indiana–and when Van Kommen transfers to UVU (or wherever)–well, I just can’t get worked up about that like you apparently do. 

UteThunder
              Participant

Your position seems to be that the transfers aren’t the problem with the program. Which if that is the case, what is the problem? 

Even if it’s just bench players (which it’s not, because we lose contributors every year too) a program will never be successful if it is hitting the reset button by turning over half of the roster every year. (25% to transfers, and the other 25% due to graduation or retirement).  

CincyUte
                Participant

You want to know my position?  Read my posts.  That’s my position.

Tony (admin)
              Keymaster

Don’t think Jones will transfer since his dad is the director of baskeball operations. 

D T
            Participant

Only ONE player has departed thus far this season, ONE….420 players nationwide already in transfer portal.

Keep our core intact, combined w/our incoming class, & we’re dancing next season, period.

What more do you want?

1 1
              UteThunder
              Participant

only one SO FAR . . .

If it stays that way, great, maybe Larry is turning a corner. If we lose 2+ more players from this year’s team then I just don’t even know how anyone can argue that he is the guy to lead this program.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

He isn’t very good, and he is stuck behind two guys that are frankly better. He was never going to be better than Carlson. He or Thioune had to go. We also need a guard or two to transfer. It has to happen.

They also had to have somebody go because they oversigned for next season. There weren’t enough available scholarships. He also hardly played at all. 

Anonymous
          Participant

Per the story, Utah is no over-signed for next season. I also had thought it was.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

He has one thing that can’t be coached, being 7 foot 4.  Didn’t play much at all.  Had hopes for him. Best of luck son.

EastCoastUte
      Participant

I’ve been telling you guys about this guy for a bit now. He may have been a great highschool player in Utah but when he competed against other top high school kids in other states, he was “Okay”.

gUrthBrooks
      Participant

Have you ever seen Matt Van Komen run? He has ZERO athleticism. ZERO! Seriously!

I’m not arguing with you about the overall transfer #’s, but damn, Van Komen needs to go to a smaller school where he can compete for time.

UteThunder
        Participant

So he is/was a complete and total recruiting bust? That’s on Larry just as much as the transfer problem. In fact, I would say this is what makes the transfer problem bigger than just the number of players leaving each year – the supposed “better” players that come in each year to replace the guys who left, don’t actually turn out to be better! 

gUrthBrooks
          Participant

Wrong! You have to take a chance on 7’4” kid from your home state. The problem is, he couldn’t transition athletically to D1 ball and Carlson could.

UteThunder
            Participant

Not if he has “ZERO athleticism. ZERO!” then you don’t.

Tony (admin)
              Keymaster

Yeah you have to wonder about the coach if HE recruits players who are not good.

3 1
      Utah5410
      Participant

I don’t care about this guy leaving. What I care about is year after year it is the same thing. Bottom line.
      Larry is out of his element. There was a time when he had a plan and the players and fans believe in him. Those days are gone.

Wish he was gone now. But, we’ve got another year. Don’t get my wrong, I want Utah to get back to prominence. But. Larry is not the one to do it.

Ute2
      Participant

I’m off the Larry wagon. But this transfer isn’t the kind of transfer to stress about.

Carlson came on big time this year. And when your fellow freshman firmly plants himself as a four year starter in your position it’s hard to blame a kid for packing up and heading out… there are other centers that can back up Carlson. It doesn’t need to be. VanKomen. This is exactly the kind of transfer we should expect.

I like VanKomen though. When he got time I thought he moved extremely well for 7’4”. And as for my criticisms of Larry, coaching bigs isn’t one of them. Larry could’ve coached him up.

That said…. if names like Allen or gach, etc. hit the portal I’ll go bananas

AZUTE
      Participant

A couple of things….

1. This is not on Larry. You can Blame Matt’s helicopter Dad for him transferring. Larry wanted to redshirt Matt which would’ve been better for his development but Matt’s Dad threw a fit. Larry and Dad came to a agreement on the season but this was a bad match from the start. Larry have him a chance and tried to what was best for Matt but Dad thinks his Son is the next Jabbar so just best for everyone to more on.

I support Larry 100% on this one.

2. I’d say it’s 50/50 right now on more players leaving. Two months ago I’d say Gach and Plummber leaving was at 100%. Battin and Brenchley are not Pac-12 caliber players and both should lose significant playing time next season with the 3 incoming freshman. I’d put them leaving at 25%. They may be happy as end of bench guys. Lahat is very limited offensively but his athleticism is off the charts which is something Utah desperately needs so I think he sticks around to back up Carlson.

3. It’s been talked about that Rylan is not on scholarship which would allow Utah to bring in another player mostly likely a grad transfer

Charlie
      Participant

First, the transfer portal likely will approach the activity of regular recruiting but for sure will touch every school regularly. The new normal will likely involve those with very few minutes reviewing their options. A successful strategy may involve bringing in above team average players in numbers that increase due to below team average players moving on. I am focusing on the current year which is most relevant. At this point, the new players fit that description as does MVK. As the third 5 and with the abundance of 4s, likely he can find better prospects for minutes as a sophomore somewhere else.

I get that we have struggled with transfers in the past, however, we should not struggle with every single transfer. This is not one.

D T
      Participant

3rd stringer who was always going to be a project….Uncertain what your point is?

W/emergence of BC, & LT an avg O game away from serious PT, MVK was never going to get PT behind these fellow frosh….At least not ‘till yrs 3-4 following a great deal of work….Too soft right now.

The real shame was his helicopter father insisting he not RS this season….Huge disservice to the kid.

D T
      Participant

420 players already in the portal nationally.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.