Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Any scrimmage tidbits?

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Any scrimmage tidbits?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      CB
      Participant

Please sire
      Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

ProudUte
      Participant

I heard that we have some plays with four tight ends. On one play Wilson threw a TD pass to Lohner. I understand that Scalley lost it because the coverage was bad.

So it sounds like Ludwig is trying to utilize his large and talented tight end group.

UtesRule
        Participant

I heard the Utes won!

Rick Walker
      Participant

This is secondhand from a buddy I have that got to go, but he said Isaac honestly looks like a much more talented QB than Cam. Quicker release, stronger arm, etc etc. This just gets me excited though because if Isaac can become a leader like Cam is it means we’re in good hands for the future 🙂

Utesbyfive
        Participant

More talented is pretty amazing. Cam may not have the strongest arm, but he’s got the IT factor.

If Isaac is another alpha dog competitor, we could be in for some big fun.

CB
        Participant

Bro I swear after the spring game, I said Wilson > Rising lol. Don’t get it twisted, Cam is the GOAT Utah QB IMO, but Wilson will be better than Cam when it’s all said and done. He can literally make ANY throw

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Locked on Utes just discussed the GOAT Utah QB this morning. Personally, I’m still with Alex Smith but will listen to anyone who is with Cam. Huntley was great. A good athlete and high football IQ so i can throw him up there too. I think all 3 are above Scott Mitchell at this point.

ProudUte
            Participant

I have watched all of them play. Scott Mitchell was an amazing QB with a team with limited talent. For me, Scott Mitchell is the GOAT, followed closely by Alex Smith. Others in the conversation are Brian Johnson, Tyler Huntley, and Cam Rising.

Just one old goat’s opinion. 🙂

Central Coast Ute
              Participant

I can’t argue with any of these. I put Alex up there because he busted the BCS, was a Heisman finalist, a number one pick, and according to Urban Meyer, basically invented the RPO on the fly. On top of that, he’s a great athlete and extremely high IQ. but i completely understand anyone’s argument for Mitchell and won’t fight you on it. I think Huntley is the best athlete to go along with a high IQ. The only knock against him was he never won a CCG.

Jim Vanderhoof
              Participant

I agree proud Ute. I too have watched them all. Mitchell was a gun slinger and coach Fassel was innovative ( remember the duck). Smith was so intelligent and a great leader. Rising ultra competitive and the ultimate leader. Tough to put any of those three above the other. Huntley was very good and a close second. Johnson was a coach on the field.

ALUF
            Participant

My top 4:

1) Alex smith
            2) Brian Johnson
            3) Cam Rising
            4) Tyler Huntley

22Ute22
        Participant

Well, that much is obvious lol. Cam isn’t a highly talented QB with an impressive arm. He is a good college dual threat that just has that “It” factor that not many people have. Isaac definitely has a higher ceiling, but for this season, Cam’s leadership, experience, chemistry with players and coaches, and familiarity with the system, far outweighs a true freshman’s potential.

Onlyu
      Participant

Basic scrimmage results:

Week 1 – defense dominated (no Cam/Brant).
      Week 2 – offense won the day
      Week 3 – offense won the day

Things are coming together. Nice to have Cam on the field because he’s so good at distributing the ball and getting into the right play.

ProudUte
        Participant

OnlyU, What are your feelings on Isaac Wilson? Who do you think the top tight end outside of Kuithe is?

Onlyu
          Participant

Issac has made huge strides the last few weeks after a just ok week 1. BRose only had 1 turnover in week one so was a little ahead but Issac just kept getting better and passed him. There is a ton of arm talent in the back up QB group and so it comes down to decision making. Having Issac here in the Spring really helped him.

Bentley is really good in both phases so I lean to him. Miki has become a true TE (finally let go of playing DE) and will get to do more than just the dirty work potentially. King is a weapon but needs to continue to add weight. Lohner is a freak…tough red zone match up. He’s a practice squad type guy at the next level just because of that size and athleticism. They’ll all contribute at various levels this year imo.

5 2
            Anfernee
            Participant

OnlyU, do you think Mikey will watch our offense this year and have a moment like Boromir did after he attacks Frodo: “What have I done?” and regret transferring?

Redblood
            Participant

Is Carsen Ryan hurt, or not showing out enough to be listed. I have high hopes for him.

Onlyu
              Participant

He’s doing well. Getting into shape after being banged up but will find his way onto the field. I just missed listing him.

DataUte
        Participant

Wow, with the players we have on defense, that’s encouraging. And it seems the defense usually leads as the offense gets it together with timing, blocking, etc. So hopefully this means our offense is top of the conference and our defense still is one of the best ever. Going to be a fun year.

Onlyu
          Participant

K. Johnson, Singer, Isaac, Kump, Mitchell, Doodle, Lohner, Junior, Glover (x2) all had great weeks this week. Lohner might actually seriously contribute.

Mitchell = physicality!!

ProudUte
            Participant

Thanks, OnlyU for coming on here and giving us the lastest!!!

22Ute22
            Participant

I’ve heard really good thing about Dijon Stanley as an athlete. Are they thinking of making him the PR and/or KR? Or is that still up in the air? Also, who is doodle lol.

D T
              Participant

Isn’t “Doodle” Stanley’s nickname?

Central Coast Ute
                Participant

Just heard Ludwig call Stanley “Doodie” so I’m guessing that’s a yes.

triage24
            Participant

Doodle?

Am I wrong and thinking that Mitchell is going to have a rock solid season and a future star?

ProudUte
              Participant

Yeah, you’re wrong. Just kidding.

I hope Mitchell has a great season.

Onlyu
              Participant

Really excited about Mitchell. We’ll see how he looks with the lights on but he has the makings of a great back here. Micah is very good and so is Glover. They’ve all had good camps and Stanley (Doodle) just brings something different to the equation that will help.

I’ve said it at least twice before. I am NOT worried a bit about our backs. There is plenty there to be a very productive group.

Arm talent is night and day in the QB room compared to last year so feel great about that room, obviously because of what you know you have in QB1. Singer is an NFL guy and we have all kinds of options next to him. TE group has everything…physicality, size, pass pro, run block and pass catching skills, etc.

O-line is talented and deep, D-line is crazy deep. 4-5 P4 quality starting guys. 2 highly experienced DE’s with talent and depth behind them…Fano, JHD, Akana, Fitz, etc. 4-5 playable safeties with experience, including a HM all PAC 12 guy in Gilman who is likely a backup here (though he’ll play a ton). 4-5 very good LB’s with a potential AA in Barton. 4-5 CB’s with nickel flexibility. Strong K, strong P, good return game.
              Excited to see how a few guys like a Bentley, Mitchell, Reynolds or Pittman just add intangibles to the equation.
              Just so many potential playmakers on both sides.

There will be adversity, we’ll need a few bounces to go our way but this is the year we’ve envisioned for the past handful of years with those veterans coming back. So much to be confident about and they know it.

Stay healthy and this is the best team we’ve ever put on the field imo and it might not be that close.

D T
                Participant

Minimal key injuries & we will absolutely realize our potential!!

CB
                Participant

Thank you for all of your insights and inside info 🙏

Charlie
            Participant

Question on Lohner. Does he have 2 years of football. I’m thinking 2020 is a mulligan because of Covid and also thinking changing sports provides a fifth year.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.