Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Article explaining the facts of Kuithe’s injury

The Analytics Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Article explaining the facts of Kuithe’s injury

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Kuithe Article

A big part of this article is in Kuithe’s own words. I now understand what he has been through. He has had some tough breaks along the way. I hope he can get 100% healthy and play football again.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Proud,

Thanks for posting this. It really clears up a lot of things about his injury. I’m just going to post his main quote here so that people don’t have to look for it on the newspaper.

“I tore my ACL and meniscus last year and what happened when I tore it, my meniscus, it tore and then flipped into the joint, I forgot what it’s called, bucket handle or something, but flipped into the joint so I couldn’t straighten it or bend it all the way before surgery so I couldn’t put weight on it, which I couldn’t get any muscle back, so I was just losing muscle the whole time because I couldn’t really do a whole lot. And when I got surgery I was having a lot of pain and as far as motion goes and everything, I was having a hard time with that because of the pain. And also just it wasn’t moving very well. It was locked up for so long for a couple weeks. And at that point I got told that I probably need to get a scope because of scar tissue, but I kind of went the route of just breaking it up on my own, which, pretty painful, just more of just like you got to bend to the point where it hurts a lot, but obviously you’re not going to tear anything, it’s just you’re breaking through scar tissue.

I got to the point where I ended up developing a cyclops lesion on my ACL, which it’s not a common thing, but it’s also not anything crazy, it’s just a built up a scar tissue on my ACL and I had scar tissue around my knee, which Dr. ElAttrache kind of said, ‘I don’t know how you’ve been practicing, but we’re going to need to get surgery on it,’ remove the cyclops lesion because I couldn’t get full extension, which in turn my quad wasn’t activating, I couldn’t get the full strength back. It’s kind of a risk for hyperextension, all those different things. So I ended up getting the surgery … and then after that it’s been literally night and day difference as far as how my knee feels.

But I’m just kind of trying to get back to strength and everything and it’s progressing but not as fast obviously as I wish it would have been because if I was fully healthy and I got this procedure done, I could be playing, but I was still trying to get stronger and come back before I got the surgery. So I’m just not able to play.

But knowing that I can be fully healthy now just kind of makes me feel way better. It is just very frustrating. I can’t play this season and as far as after this, it’s kind of up in the air and what I’m going to be doing, but I’m just happy that I got this done, I needed to get it done. I wish I could have gotten it sooner, but I mean it is what it is. So I’m just on the road to recovery, but I’m finally feeling good. It’s just trying to get everything back to where I need it to be.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.