Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

At the end of the first full Saturday of the season, my thoughts.

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football At the end of the first full Saturday of the season, my thoughts.

• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by MDUte.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

1. I’m just not invested in the Big XII, in fact I would not buy clothing with the XII logo. It just doesn’t move the needle for me. I grew up watching Pac football long before the Utes were in, and I just can’t get excited about watching Big XII football. I watched a few minutes of Oklahoma State, and of course the Utah game. But other than that I haven’t watched any other Big XII games, none.

2. Cam and Brant if they stay healthy will help our Utes win 10 or 11 games easily this year. The RB room doesn’t look awesome, however everyone except Jaylon Glover, Mike Mitchell and Charlie Vincent with 4 or more carries averaged more than 4 yards per carry. And those three got 3.0 or better. I’m not worried about the throw game, we’ll be fine.

3. I haven’t signed up for streaming yet, so only have the OTA and ESPN+. So that may have also limited the games I watched. The first week is usually pretty boring. Doubt many non-Utah/SUU fans tuned into our game. Unless it was other BigXII fans trying to see what we are all about.

4. I’m excited to see next week’s game, then another tune up before starting the conference season.

5. Florida did not look good, Clemson did not look good, and VT lost to Vanderbilt? That’s got to hurt. They used to be so good under Frank Beamer. Colorado barely got the win, just saw the score updates, looking at their schedule they may only win 4 or 5 games again.

6. I miss the Pac 12 Network, I watched the Ute Volleyball game last night against UTEP and the production and announcers were horrible. Once the season started I liked the late Saturday night wrap up and announcers for non-football sports. The announcers for our game on Thursday were subpar.

22Ute22
      Participant

Ehh, this was a really boring week of CFB. All of the “marquee” games ended up being complete snoozefests. The top games of the week were supposed to be PSU vs WVU, UGA vs Clemson, Miami vs UF, and ND vs TAMU. ND vs TAMU was the closest game and yet it was so incredibly boring. In a weird twist, the best games of the week were FAU vs Michigan State, Colorado vs NDSU, Texas Tech (trash) vs Abilene Christian, Oregon (overrated) vs Idaho, and Vanderbilt vs Virginia tech. All those games were very entertaining even though they weren’t supposed to be. I’m hoping USC vs LSU is the competitive shootout I expect it to be.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

LSU is going to win by 28.

22Ute22
          Participant

Well, it has been a very competitive game, but a lot lower scoring than I expected.

homer
          Participant

Welp, this didn’t age well.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Agreed. As soon as the game started, I missed the P12N. And we have to pay extra for ESPN+ to get a very bad product. I mean bad, bad.

5 1
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Yeah I agree College Football just really lost its flash for me.
      I will watch Utah but lot of the other teams are just less interesting.

ESPN announcers are so bad. They literally repeat what the just said moments prior.

Not invested in Big12 at all. Hoping to get back to the real college football again. I feel like the way is paved for Utah.

HATUman
        Participant

Not to mention all of the mispronunciation of our guys names. They get all the info on how to correctly pronounce these kids names in the week leading up to the game, and then they butcher these kids names on national television. All it takes is a little effort, but I guess that’s probably why they’re on the C and D teams of the ESPN announcers.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

And getting Isaac Wilson confused with Brandon Rose on Wilson’s first college TD… SMH

DataUte
      Participant

Week one has a few ‘top’ games set up, but they mostly turned into busts/blowouts. Wait until week 3. Woof. There are some days that should be spectacular, like Oct 12.
      – Georgia is good, Clemson is not (maybe using the transfer portal is useful to fill gaps?)
      – Ohio St. is good. $20M buys a great team
      – Oregon? um, embarrassing
      – Just have OTA and ESPN+ right now, so didn’t see Texas play (my other team), but followed on gamecast. They are a little think at RB, but I’ll see how it goes. Huge UGA game at home Oct 19. Great game @UM next week. Oct 12 is Red River Rivalry. And Backyard Brawl returning Nov 30.
      – ND/TAMU game was close until the end, but mostly defense, so a little boring. Interesting that ND at best can be 5 seed (conference champs only for top 4 seeds with byes).
      – Most other top teams did what they should – blow out an inferior team
      – End of UCLA/Hawaii was good (only watched parts of the last quarter so missed the prior snooze-fest). Hoped for UCLA to go down and Timmy Chang to win. FG with a minute left put UCLA ahead for the 1st time (16-13 win).
      – Miami looked good – Ward just sidearm gunslings it and it works for him. Fun to watch. Florida not too good. They could easily not make a bowl and Billy fired with their schedule

– Hard to read a lot of the Big 12 games due to the opponent
      – Ok St., Kansas, KSU, UCF, Baylor, even BYU did what they should
      – UA is all Fifita/McMillan. No defense (39 to UNM!).
      – ASU scored big points and beat Wyoming (are they that bad?!) but I think will come down to earth
      – Colorado barely pulling out a win against NDSU (a good team)? Hunter is a beast, Horn too. But not much of a running game and not a good defense. Don’t think they can get to 6 wins.
      – TT barely beating AC in OT? poo poo. We don’t play them though
      – Houston losing to UNLV (who is pretty good, but that puts Houston back in middling G5 land)?
      – Iowa St., Cincinatti TBD – Cinci probably bad, Iowa St. probably better than their showing
      – TCU barely getting by Stanford? not good

PhiladelphiaUte
        Participant

Good thing Arizona didn’t have to play Montana St!

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Note Dame vs Texas A&M was a pretty good game until ND broke it open very late. The other “competitive” game was UCLA vs Hawaii. Hard to believe UCLA almost lost that game. But other than that most the football in week 1 was pretty non noteworthy.

MDUte
        Participant

I won’t buy any of the gear with B12 on it either. I’m trying to make the best of it being in the B12 for the time being. But I don’t think we’ll be in the B12 very long.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.