Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

AZ O Line

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Whitty
      Participant

Anyone know anything about AZ’s offensive line, particularly with pass protection? I was extremely impressed with OK State’s line last week. I hope that AZ’s line will be softer and that we can get pressure on Fifita to disrupt his connection with McMillan. To me this feels like one of the key components of tomorrow’s game.

Ute Dub
      Participant

Here’s a nugget in bold:

Injury report:
      Arizona’s offensive line returned [for the K-state game] to its season-opening lineup with left tackle Rhino Tapa’atoutai (leg) and center Josh Baker starting after missing the NAU game. Arizona’s starting offensive line had Tapa’atoutai, left guard Wendell Moe, Baker, right guard Ryan Stewart and right tackle Jonah Savaiinaea.

In his first full game at Arizona, Tapa’atoutai allowed six quarterback pressures and a sack, according to PFF; he had a 31.8 pass-blocking grade. Collectively, Arizona’s offensive line allowed 13 quarterback pressures.

https://tucson.com/sports/college/football/wildcats/arizona-aftermath-stats-storylines-and-quotes-from-the-wildcats-loss-to-kansas-state/article_a04bbcee-720a-11ef-9f44-fba561021632.html

2 3
      Rick
      Participant

What impressed you about OSU’s offensive line? Their QB gets no pressure because their scheme delivers the ball in less than 2 seconds. Their run blocking was horrible and if their QB had to stay in the pocket for more than 2 seconds he got a ton a pressure from our front.

Ute Dub
        Participant

Only 1 sac allowed on the year (Fillinger). That being said, they are mostly in max protect.

UteBacker

Hey, Dub. I’ve heard the term “max protect” used a few times. Would you be willing to give me the 5 cent explanation of what that is? I mean, wouldn’t the O-line’s purpose to always be “max protect”? Forgive my ignorance.

Rick Walker
            Participant

Max protect usually means a tight end and a running back are pass blocking in addition to the OL, to put it simply.

Ute Dub
            Participant

Typically, Max Protect only has 3 pass catchers running routes beyond the line of scrimmage. An ‘extreme’ good example is Money Parks 20 yard catch in the second quarter at the 13:00 minute mark. In that play Utah only sends 2 receivers downfield. They have 8 protecting the QB. It gives Wilson time and the Utes pick up a big chunk play.

A lot of what Oklahoma State does is three receivers down field and then they leak the TE or RB to the flat or to the middle to spread the defense which causes a defender or two to account for that. Usually the RB will block for 1 second, before heading to the flat, thus allowing the max protect to watch for blitzes, then heading out as a receiver.

OK state 2 point conversion with 5:36 in the 4th is max protect. The TE and RB both stay to block, giving the cowboys 7 blockers and 3 receivers.

Tednab
          Participant

CB and Safeties better be prepared.. they got burned a few times against USU and OKST .. I still have nightmares from the USC game where the backup QB kept throwing up 50/50 ball against our D and winning.

Hellhound152
            Participant

Fortunately, the players responsible for that are closing in on their NFL pensions at this point.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.