Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Berry Tramel comments on further SEC/B1G expansion

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Berry Tramel comments on further SEC/B1G expansion

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant

Berry Tramel was asked by DJ about further SEC expansion and if it would included Okie St at the 17:00 mark. After talking about OSU Tramel says he thinks if the B1G expands again that Utah would be 1st on their list.

I approve this message

9 8
      UtesRule
      Participant

Utah to the B1G for President!! Much better than the two dimwits currently running! 😜

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

But then he said unless they can get UNC or Virginia.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Unfortunately, that’s it. A lot of dominoes have to fall for Utah to bypass teams like UNC, UVA, Miami, FSU, etc…

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Yep. If they take 40 teams, I don’t think the Utes make it. Unless they drop dead weight like Purdue, Vandy, etc.

MDUte
            Participant

Tramel is simply a respected CFB journalist. In regard to realignment, he doesn’t know any more than any of us do.However, why I think it’s meaningful for him to make a comment like this is because it’s just goes to show how Utah is seen nationally when it comes to realignment scenarios, top brands, and ultimately…relevance. Utah fans have a hard time being open to seeing ourselves the way others across the nation do. And many Utah fans make a point of downplaying our place in the CFB landscape and completely undersell who we actually are. But outside of the 4 P12 schools who were invited to join the B1G, Utah is the next biggest brand out West. Some things in life are true, whether we choose to believe them or not. And this is simply a FACT! Go Utes!!

Central Coast Ute
              Participant

I agree that someone like Trammel putting that out there is great. People are noticing the Utes, and in almost every realignment scenarioI see, the Utes are a part of it. I just hope the networks do, too. I’m just wondering why the Utes haven’t been invited yet at a lower payout like the PNW schools if we’re guaranteed a spot.

AlohaUte
              Participant

I admit that I, for one, struggle to not view Utah in the lens of being in the MWC not too long ago. It’s hard to let go of the “non-BCS” inferiority complex.

MDUte
                Participant

I totally get it. Many feel the same way. But it’s not reality.

For example, here’s a new interview of Paul Finebaum, who I can’t stand btw. I’ll never forget when he totally dissed us in 2019 when Utah was knocking at the door of the 4 team CFP and he said that “nobody wants to watch Utah play in the CFP”. He’s always been the biggest SEC honk there is (and I get it…that’s what he gets paid to do). But he was interviewed yesterday by Heartland College Sports (B12 show). And listen to his comments about Utah at the 12:20 mark:
                Paul Finebaum interview

Jim Vanderhoof
                  Participant

Good points MD. Just win baby. Keep winning and keep building the program. This will be a big year for national exposure. Super league with salary cap. Nil is not sustainable. Let the tv contracts pay the players. Unless there is an equal $$ playing field the same teams will dominate every year.

DataUte
                  Participant

I get this sentiment (no one would watch Utah). We have gained a ton of respect in football and legacy basketball, but only 9% lives in the space between I north-south line west of DFW and the far west coast populations. And that includes Phoenix, SLC, Denver. There is an argument there just aren’t the eyeballs/interest. I think any league still needs some mountain time zone teams (NFL has Denver, Arizona; NHL has CO, Utah; MLB has CO, AZ; NBA has Denver, Utah, Phoenix), but for the college space, the only real choices are Arizona schools (which aren’t really ‘in the middle’), Utah, CU, and I guess the parochial school (which brings other ‘fun’ stuff).

I think we have a place athletically and academically. Will the ‘new league’ still be snotty about academics anyway (probably yes for legacy B1G) but that’s ironic since it will not be about the student part of the the student-athlete. It will be about $ and collaboration in sports and research. But mostly $.

High Uintas
      Participant

Nobody, absolutely nobody, not Whit, not Tramel, not the CEO of Disney or Fox know the future of college football. Too much depends on forces that are not completely predictable. The courts will have their say, state and national government will influence matters and the presidents of influential schools will certainly weigh in.

Utah is doing all they can and have created an impressive resume but there is no guarantee it will matter in the end. It’s not a comfortable position to be in and we all want to know how it works out but I actually think it would be good for Utah’s chances if we had a 5 year quiet period in the realignment derby.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.