ESPN

Betting analyst high on Utah

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Betting analyst high on Utah

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Douglas Farner wrote this in his article about college football betting:

Go ahead and overreact to Utah’s stake in the Big 12. Go further and look at Playoff futures.
      The Utah Utes beat Oklahoma State more handily than the 22-19 final score indicates, without star quarterback Cam Rising. That alone should establish Utah as the class of the Big 12.

The truer final score was 22-11, the Cowboys scoring a touchdown with less than two minutes remaining largely because the Utes were in a prevent defense. Remove the 69 yards gained on that drive — and the 10 Utah gained as it ran out the clock — and Oklahoma State was outgained 447 yards to 216, 5.88 yards per play to 4.15.

The Cowboys were supposed to be the Utes’ primary competition in the Big 12, and they had no semblance of a chance even while the Utah offense was without Rising.
      Later Saturday night, Kansas State was routed by BYU, 38-9. If not Oklahoma State, the Wildcats were seen as the Utes’ best competition in the conference.

Utah now has a one-game lead on the other worries in the Big 12. It can be effectively penciled into the Big 12 championship, and it will be favored if Rising is back in the fold.

Douglas’ advice: Utah is +5,000 to win the national championship at both FanDuel and DraftKings as of early Sunday morning. If the Utes can be penciled into the Big 12 title game, where they will be favored, and the Big 12 champion gets a first-round bye in the Playoff, that 50-to-1 ticket will have immense value come New Year’s Eve.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

Speaking of betting, the Arizona line opened at -12.5

ProudUte
        Participant

The over/under is set at 50.5. That would mean a projected score of something like 31-19. I think I would be tempted to take the over if I was a betting man.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

If I was an OSU fan I would be mighty angry today. Sold quite the bottle of goods. Utah strolled into your house smacked you around and didn’t even need to use full strength. I mean no Rising and Reid? Pretty pathetic.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Very illuminating post. Appreciate it…

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

It’s fun to think about. Not likely. But fun.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Tony, now’s the time to get on the ground floor of this investment. If you have a couple of thou burning a hole in your pocket, there are worse places to to put it on than Utah to win it all.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.