Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Boise, SDSU, Colo State, & Fresno to the Pac-12

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Boise, SDSU, Colo State, & Fresno to the Pac-12

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      AlohaUte
      Participant

There will be future expansion in the future after consultation among the now 6 Pac-12 schools.

Utephoria
      Participant

The new conference name should be the PAC-12 State Conference since all six members are “State” schools. Just an observation.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Slight upgrade from the Mountain West.

The Wandering Ute
      Participant

But most importantly, does Utah State, now waking up this morning with their conference in shambles, come out extra sluggish or extra motivated in the game Saturday?

utefansince79
      Participant

Random thoughts

Do Cal / Stanford perhaps decide to go back (so most of their conference games in all sports aren’t 3 time zones away)?

Perhaps Air Force next to move over?

Obviously a blow to the Mountain West losing several key members.

AlohaUte
        Participant

I don’t think Cal and Stanford would in a million years affiliate with Boise State.

Sux for the aggies. Their University profile fits perfectly with these schools. They should 100% be a part of this. Sadly their football program is meh and athletic department is in shambles. It also doesn’t help that they have BYU and Utah in state, rather than just Utah. Makes splitting the sports fan pie much more difficult.

Luke R
        Participant

I agree that Cal and Stanford want to be in that conference but they should really think about it.

I am not sure what their exit fees are but if they are the same as FSU and Clemson this conversation is over.

If it is not much which is what I think. The FSU lawsuit says they are fee’d 3 years of revenue or something like that. Well Cal and Stanford are not taking Revenue for 9 or 10 years. So they would be way better of financially but I am not sure their Academic Pride can handle that.

DataUte
        Participant

AAC would love AFA. They would have all 3 service academies.

Names being floated are Memphis, Tulane, maybe even Rice. Or go TX with UTSA or Texas State or UNT. I guess other MWC teams would have been announced so they are unlikely, at least right now (UNLV being the most obvious choice). MWC might try to get NMSU, UTEP, even maybe see if NDSU or SDSU or one of those Dakota teams to move up from FCS.

WSU and OSU are making sure to stay positioned for any western division of some P2, maybe rejoining UW and UO along with other former PAC-mates when it all gets redone in several years.

SteelUte
      Participant

That is a gut punch to the Aggies. They’ve got to be frustrated to not get an invite. Maybe they will down the road, but they are a very very small market. It is a positive move for the PAC 2, but I don’t see it as a “P5” level yet, not just in terms of number of schools, but quality. I think the only way they become a power conference is getting Stanford and Cal. If they got those two that could cause a domino effect of swaying some Big 12 members, Utah Arizona, BYU, Colorado? Who knows.

utefansince79
      Participant

Wondering too would they eventually go after UNLV and/or Nevada (Reno)?

Indeed definitely a blow to our brothers up north.

Utah
      Participant

This 100% confirms to me that another big shakeup is coming around 2028-2030. I am 99.99% convinced we won’t be in the Big 12 then. I’ve said this a million times, but I think this happens:

There is further consolidation. For Utah, this means we get into the Big 10 or we don’t. If we do get in, then we leave the Big 12 and join the Big 10. If we don’t get in, the Big 12 falls apart and new conferences are formed. We end up back with Stanford and Cal in a more west coast centered conference. Maybe it has Fresno St/SDSU, maybe it doesn’t.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see us in a conference with: Utah, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon State, Washington State, ASU, Arizona. That is 8 teams. Then you add in SDSU or something.

Or a “pod” conference that takes the valuable teams from the Big 12 and ACC and merges them. Something like:

Western pod: ASU, Arizona, Utah, Stanford, Cal, Colorado.
      Eastern pod: NC, Duke, Virginia, Clemson, FSU, Miami.

You play 8 total games, five versus your pod, three-four versus the other pod. Then a championship game.

But this 16 team Big 12 with so many s**tty teams inside…it’s the WAC-16 all over again and it will fracture once again.

DataUte
        Participant

It all comes down to the ACC breakup. When those GOR are done or they figure out how to break away, it will reset a lot of things and there will be a great reshuffling.

AlohaUte
        Participant

Mostly agree, except Colorado ain’t leaving their Big-8 brethren again IMO. For them it’s either one of the big 2 conferences or they’ll stick with Kansas, Ok State, Iowa State, etc.

As much as many of you would hate it, I also think BYU and Utah are attached at the hip if a call to the B1G or SEC doesn’t happen. I suspect BYU will end up wherever Utah, ASU, UA end up. Essentially BYU replaces Colorado in the group of 4.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

Here’s the link…

Boise State among 4 schools joining Pac-12 for 2026-27 season

And here’s the [cougarboard] takeaway…

BYU is wanted

LOL!

D T
        Participant

Amazing how the zoobs are still upset the P12 never invited them & invited us instead.

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

And now they’ve invited the likes of Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno etc… LOLz.

AlohaUte
            Participant

Why is that LOLz, those are solid brands and are essentially us 12 years ago. We know what it is like to be in their shoes. It sucked. Mocking them now seems a little … elitist?

Tony (admin)
              Keymaster

Anything that bothers them entertains me. 🙂

PhiladelphiaUte
              Participant

It’s “LOL” because TSPP abandoned the MWC because they thought they were too good for it, and their member schools. And now those very MWC schools who TSPP was too good for, are actually joining the very conference zoob nation had spent the entire ’80s, ’90s, and ’00s boasting about leaving the WAC/MWC for. It’s “LOL” because it was SDSU, FSU, BSU, and CSU who’d arrived.

LOL

PhiladelphiaUte
          Participant

Right? Their arrogance is equally astounding. That article made no mention of the tdS, yet their only takeaway was how much the Pac-12 wanted them!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.