Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Bronco is up to his old tricks.

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Bronco is up to his old tricks.

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      UTE98
      Participant

As some know I used to live in Virginia, I attended the TCU-UVA game in Charlottesville to start 2009.

Well I found this tidbit in an article from my old hometown newspaper.

2. Virginia must strike a penalty balance.

UVa has moved from first to 66th nationally in least amount of penalties per game over a span of three weeks.

After the Cavaliers were the only FBS team to not draw a flag in its opener, Mendenhall didn’t necessarily see the accomplishment as a good thing. He wants his teams to play with aggression, to approach the proverbial line but not always cross it. Virginia was too tentative in the 37-20 loss to Richmond, he said, and didn’t carry that edge some of his better BYU squads had.

Virginia has since committed 20 penalties — 10 against Oregon, 10 against UConn. Six of Saturday’s flags were on Mendenhall’s defense, including a crucial pass interference call on cornerback Juan Thornhill that bailed the Huskies out on third-and-20 in the fourth quarter. Five plays later, the game was tied.

The Huskies added 15 yards to a long Arkeel Newsome run in the second quarter thanks to a Quin Blanding facemask violation. Six plays later, UVa’s lead was cut to 10-3.

But all of this also came on an afternoon when Virginia’s D, the team’s weakness entering the contest, was dominant, limiting UConn to less than 280 yards — something the program hadn’t done since September 2013 — and forcing two turnovers. Can Mendenhall live with the penalties if the game includes this kind of production?

“Son, that’s just the way it is Some things will never change” – Bruce Hornsby

Anonymous
      Inactive

UCONN be a powerhouse!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.