Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

BYU announces they will be creating a medical school

Welcome Forums They So Poo Poo BYU announces they will be creating a medical school

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant

Interesting news. A medical school would elevate BYU to being a research university. I realize BYU isn’t making this decision for reasons to positively affect athletics. But I bet their fans wish this announcement would’ve happened 20 years ago when it could’ve make a huge difference. As it stands, it will be too late to make a difference before all of the major realignment happens and TDS once again finds itself on the outside looking in.

High Uintas
      Participant

And Florida State announced they would be an AAU member within 3 years. The Call of The Big Ten.

4 24
      Utah
      Participant

Weird. Medicine and religion usually don’t mix very well, which is why BYU has stayed out for so long. I’d want to hear more details about this, especially since they are focusing on “international health”. What the f**k does that mean?

I don’t think this affects anything about BYU and sports. BYU is still BYU and the problem BYU has is that Utah is 40 mins away. If the P2 takes an Utah team, they will only take one.

And why would you take BYU when Utah is better in every single way AND easier to deal with?

This is nothing more than BYU has too much money and they need to find more things to invest into. You have to remember, BYU/that corp only does something if they can make a buck off it.

16 3
        BD
        Participant

“This is nothing more than BYU has too much money and they need to find more things to invest into. You have to remember, BYU/that corp only does something if they can make a buck off it.”

It’s comments like this that made UteFans tank down into nothingness.

While the details on this are limited for now, just because it is BYU doing this, doesn’t mean that it can’t be a good thing. And, it appears they might be seeking some kind of partnership with the U of U medical school, which would be a good thing.

5 20
          Utah
          Participant

If BYU has done something that was good and not self serving, I must have missed it.

17 3
            SantaVaca
            Participant

This is complete BS. Mormons do so many things to help their fellow man. I’m so sick of hearing bigots like you spew off on something so wrong and untrue. Everyday Mormons try to be good neighbors and serve others the best way they can. Are they perfect? Of course not. But what act of service did you do this week? I guarantee if we asked a few Mormons what they did, they could rattle off several things they did to serve others.

Your kind of comment was the exact reason why Utefans.net is dead. Be better than this. We all need to be a little kinder to each other. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Go UTES!

6 1
        Utesbyfive
        Participant

Creighton, Loyola, Georgetown, Loma Linda, Baylor, Case Western Reserve, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Emory, UAB, Virginian Commonwealth…

Nah, they don’t mix at all.

4 1
          beaslad
          Participant

He’s a well known troll that hates religion, capitalism, etc. Ignore him. Being a 17 year old bitter nobody must be tough for him.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Of the five hospitals in my area, three of them belong to the Catholic Healthcare West network, and one of those is supposedly one of the best cardiovascular units in the west. Seems to work out really well.

Utesbyfive
          Participant

CommonSpirit, a Catholic health system, just bought all the Steward facilities in Utah. They assist in teaching RNs and MDs.

They’ve renamed all the hospitals as “Holy Cross.”

Holy Cross Salt Lake
          Holy Cross Mountain Point
          Holy Cross Jordan Valley
          Holy Cross Jordan Valley West
          Holy Cross Davis

There’s a very very long tradition of Christian denomination affiliated medical systems in the western world. I’m not sure why BYU having a Med School is of any concern whatsoever.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

It shouldn’t be any concern whatsoever. Unfortunately, some people find it’s their mission in life to look for negativity when there is none to be found.

Utesbyfive
              Participant

FWIW, I have heard that CommonSpirit plans on refurbishing the historic chapel at Holy Cross Salt Lake. It has been deteriorating under the previous owners, and since the 2020 earthquake has been unusable.

Matt
      Participant

Doubt this has anything to do with trying to get into the P2. BYU is happy where they are, which is a helluva lot better than Indy or MW/wac years. However, this can’t hurt.

This coming from the resident ex mormon zoob fan. They have so much money they need to do something useful with it.

chinngiskhaan
      Participant

So they are doing this so they can research medical issues that primarily affect people living outside the US? It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

2 13
        Utah
        Participant

Yeah, it is very weird wording. Seems super suss. Carefully worded denials and stuff like that. Shady.

4 8
          Grayshirt
          Participant

Sounds like it could be one of those “medical research departments” that.. you know… is headed by lawyers.. kind of like their “history” department.

MDUte
          Participant

FWIW, BYU is partnering with UofU to make this happen. As mentioned in the OP, this really doesn’t have anything to do with athletics. It could’ve if it happened 20+ years ago. As it stands, this is simply positive news for making progress as an academic institution.

1 7
      Grayshirt
      Participant

my cynical translation…
      The U is happy to relive them of some of their 401c3 exce$$.

22 5
      Stone
      Participant

You have some serious religion-derangement syndrome. It seems so instinctual, you may not even notice it. But you should take some time to get outside your head, maybe see a therapist, because your disposition is so profound, it is borderline pathological.

Religion and medicine don’t mix well? Right. Aside from the numerous hospital systems around the world founded by (and many still run by) religious organizations.

Kirk Herbstreet
      Participant

The Church is going to use this to as a vehicle to bring in a lot of international students from more impoverished countries with the goal of sending them back to their country of origin with a high quality of medical training to improve health outcomes for populations in need. That doesn’t mean there won’t be local students as well. You can try and paint that as some sinister plot or what have you, but that is the goal.

5 1
      ukiyoronin
      Participant

Sounds great. I hope it goes well for them. Might be nice for the Us medical program to have a little competition in the state.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Collaborative relationship with the U and IMC means you are basically paying for the Y but going to the U. It is a lot like Westminsters nursing program. Pay for Westminster but go to classes at the U.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

According to this zoob on cougarboard, the tdS is now a shoo-in for the BigTen, and Utah had been eliminated from their consideration.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=33436975

Utesbyfive
      Participant

Cool, congrats to them. It’s a huge step forward for their school.

RoboUte
      Participant

They’re OBSESSED with comparing to the U. But more healthcare and healthcare research is a win for humanity so hats off cougars, I’m proud. The world needs more of this. Also eat a bag of dicks.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

When are they going to create an MLM school? That’s what I really want to know.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Honestly kind of crazy it has taken this long. Lots and lots of money to be made in healthcare. It is ridiculous.

No surprise this occurs with President Nelson as the current president.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.