Fox

Cal at # 16 Utah

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Cal at # 16 Utah

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      UtesRule
      Participant

Early line (per ESPN app) = Utah -13.5

Per ESPN’s Matchup Predictor, Utah has a 75% chance of winning.

I’m feeling good that coming off of a bye week, Utah will be MUCH better offensively and just as dominant defensively.

Go Utes

The Miami Ute
      Participant

Yeah, I hope that this game acts as a springboard for the rest of the season. Because it’s about to get real.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

I don’t remember the statistic but Whitt is usually pretty good after a loss.
        The Ute defense is an absolute pleasure to watch though. I feel like a big play could come any minute when they take the field.
        I also think Becker will be back. So securing field position could be critical.

Jackson could really be a massive pressure release for the entire offense. Oline could gain more confidence. NJ would need to do considerably less. Even Curry coming in would help if he could get in on some blocking schemes.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Is Jackson ready to play big minutes or just spot duty?

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

Guess it is my hope. Jackson was running well despite pretty bad blocking. The Oline is the first problem for me. Reps with a single qb are the second problem I have.

The Miami Ute
              Participant

I guess we’ll find out on Saturday. Are you going to the game? This will be my first one this year but I’ve got tickets for all of the remaining home games.

bopahull
                Participant

Don’t forget your eclipse glasses. I heard it’s supposed to get partly sunny during the game.

The Miami Ute
                  Participant

Are you serious? I haven’t been tracking the eclipse but my wife told me it wouldn’t be much of a factor in the SLC area.

bopahull
                    Participant

Partial eclipses are still hard on the eyes. The unfortunate thing is the eclipse is passing directly over my house and I won’t be there.

EagleMountainUte
                Participant

I won’t be making it. Work unfortunately.

The Miami Ute
                  Participant

Well, hope that you can follow along somehow…

2008 National Champ
      Participant

Challenge accepted!

Record following losses excluding 2023 and all end of season losses w/o a follow up game until the next season: 43-26 (.621). Whitt’s overall winning % is .678 so it is a fallacy that his teams perform better after a loss. Of those wins, 5 came in bowl games, two were against FCS schools and the end of the season game against Colorado helped out a couple of times also.

Context does matter though. From 2005 through 2010, he was 14-5 after a loss (.737). 2011-2013 he was 10-9 (.526) as there were a couple of big losing streaks in there. 2014-2022 he was 19-12 (.613) which includes the 4 games losing streak in 2017. Even if you limit it to 2018 on which is the current high water mark for the team, he is still only 9-5 (.642).

I’m not seeing any correlation that would make me expect Utah has an innate ability to not lose a second game in a row other than opponent or being consistently better than the teams in the Mountain West.

bopahull
      Participant

I guess that means the D pitches a shutout

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Freshman qb for Cal. Hostile environment. Two weeks to regroup and refocus. Season still on the line for the Utes. Big game for defense and offense gets JJ back (wishful thinking). Utes cover the spread and win. Go Utes

2008 National Champ
        Participant

CAL has played 3 different QB’s this season. Apparently it is a huge strategic advantage to make your opponent prepare for multiple QB’s so I’m not sure how Utah will be able to cope.,,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.