CBS Sports Network

Camp opens Monday

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      bopahull
      Participant
      ProudUte
      Participant

I was just going to post the same thing.

There is not a lot new in the article that we haven’t already discussed at length on this board. The new practice schedule is interesting.

I am excited for the season to start.

Go Utes!!!

MDUte
        Participant

Passing along what I heard last night from a friend. Wilson is not getting surgery and is focused on competing for the #2 spot. Sounds like it’s between Huard and Wilson for #2 and who will be #3. No big surprise there.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Maybe someone can post what the 5 questions are so it is easier to discuss here.

voxnihili
        Participant

1.The backup quarterback battle
        2 Which running back will emerge, or will it be by committee?
        3 Who will be the other starting safety? (Next to Tao Johnson)
        4 Will the offensive line take a step forward?
        5 Utah’s modified fall camp

voxnihili
        Participant

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Tony, any idea why I cannot see my posts when I’m logged in on the web? I can see them in the app and it doesn’t appear that I’ve ignored myself.

ProudUte
        Participant

I assumed that since Wilson did not get the surgery yet, that he was planning on competing for QB2.

I have posted before, that I really like what I saw in Isaac Wilson at Corner Canyon. He is not just a dropback passer. This kid is all in when he is on the field. He was an excellent runner. I saw his team score 42 points against the top team in highschool football, Bishop Gorman.

Huard had an amazing high school career. He threw for over 13,000 yards and something like 150 TDs. But, he has yet to show much in his college career. Is he the player we saw in HS or …

MDUte
          Participant

Biggest question for me is if Whitt will suit up and bust out the neck roll one final time and show Lander and the boys how it’s done! Go Utes!!

ArcheryUte
      Participant

Anyone have an inside scoop on the running back room? I know KW says they are a question mark, but I’m hoping they have a little more confidence in the room and are not quite ready to show their hand.

Dallas
        Participant

Bernard and Glover have both had time and opportunity to break out. I doubt we see anything from them we haven’t seen before.
        I hate when we play RB by committee as it makes our play calling much more predictable depending on who’s in the backfield.

MDUte
          Participant

I disagree. Our rushing production was the best ever when we went from Bell Cow to Run-by-Committee approach. It keeps guys more fresh and since guys know they have a limited number of game reps, they make the most of them.

22Ute22
        Participant

I have no insider information, but apparently Mike Mitchell has gotten to 218 pounds. I personally think he will breakout this year as the RB1.

Stone
        Participant

Does anyone recall how much hype Ty Jordan got in preseason (before his amazing regular season)? Was he a known asset or did he surprise once the season started? I do not have a strong recollection, but my memory is that he was somewhat of an unexpected surprise once games began.

chinngiskhaan
          Participant

Pretty sure he was mentioned multiple times by Whitt. Don’t remember what was said.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

the consensus was that dueces was someone they needed to get the ball in his hands which is why the first pass play of the season was a wheel route to him that he dropped. They tried to put him in the Troy McCormick role but the ineffectiveness of Brumfield and Wilmore gave dueces more chances and he proved that he was as good as advertised.

In truth, I think Whitt would have liked for him to just get his feet wet during the covid year and then unleash him on the conference in 2021 but circumstances prevented that plan.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

The coaches were really high on him as they were recruiting him. Iirc, they even took him over a higher rated RB. During fall camp, Whitt spoke about him often. If Whitt mentions your name it means he’s seeing good things.

Dallas
          Participant

I remember him being mentioned by Whitt and some insiders as someone they were clearly excited about.

Grayshirt
      Participant

This year won’t need to rely on the run game like… well.. perhaps not since Ganthers playing days behind Alex Smith. Hoping that’s the case.

Grayshirt
        Participant

Well check that.. They ran ~ 60% in 2004! Wow! College FB Team Passing Play Percentage

2008 National Champ
          Participant

Add in another 10% for shovel passes in 2004 and you have your typical Urban offense where 70% of the play design happens behind the LOS. Just shows to go that you don’t need to throw it 60 yards downfield every play to have an explosive offense. Execution and play-calling that does not let the other team key on tendencies is, always has been, and always will be the most important things in an offensive game plan.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.