Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Camp started today

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Camp started today

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I know everyone is currently concerned about conference affiliation and I am also concerned, but I can’t do anything about it. So, let’s talk about the 2023 football season.
      I believe that this team is as deep as any Ute football team we have ever seen. This bodes well for November when we will have experienced injuries. Is this the best Ute football team ever? That remains to be seen.
      I think that the 2019 team had the best starting lineup. When key players were not on the field like Blackmon, we were not as good. That team had an amazing defense. I don’t think that the 2023 team has the same level of starters as we had in 2019, but I believe the depth is much better.
      This should be a fun team to watch with a very tough schedule. I do not predict that we will go through the season unscathed. However, if we do – we will certainly be in the CFP. I hope we go at least 10-2 and make it to the PAC12 championship.
      Go Utes!!!

ALUF
      Participant

Great to see bartle putting up interviews with coaches on YouTube! We’re back to football!!!! I love that the first thing listed as a strength on offense was the line. First rule of good football teams is to have good line play!

ProudUte
        Participant

Yep.  I heard an interview with Norm Chow a few years ago and he said that a great offensive line can make an average RB and QB look very good.

ryynoo
      Participant

Thank you for the football talk posts!

D T
      Participant

IF someone steps up at DE & FS, this D can surpass ‘19’s version.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

How will we know? On paper, the offenses on the schedule should be much better than those played in 2019.

That 2019 schedule had some truly inept offenses in Oregon State, Cal, Arizona and Colorado. Scheduling luck catching Arizona State missing half their OLine during a freezing rain storm, UCLA without DTR, Washington in a down year and missing Oregon.

This year’s team could give up 100 more yards and 10 points a game and you could make the argument that they were as least as good statistically based on quality of opponent.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

the ’19 defense was stacked with NFL talent. 5 guys from the secondary were getting PT in the NFL the very next year. Anae, Bernard, Lloyd, Fotu, Penisini… It’s going to be a very good year if this D is better than that.

ProudUte
          Participant

I agree with you.  The 2019 defense was amazing.  Nine of those guys were on NFL teams the next season and then Lloyd a few years later.  Three linemen were first-team all-conference.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.