Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Can we get UNLV’s Brennan Marion as OC next year?

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Can we get UNLV’s Brennan Marion as OC next year?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      SalUteopia
      Participant

I’m not an X’s and O’s guy, but Marion’s ‘Go-Go Offense’ at UNLV (43.5 ppg through 7 games) seems to pass the eye test. He makes ~300k (sigh!), and will likely be a hot commodity in the off season. Do you think Utah might be interested, and is there a chance we could land him?

2008 National Champ
      Participant

I’m more impressed with the job they are doing on Jeanty

2008 National Champ
        Participant

To your Marion question, I’d want to know if it is his offense or what Odom was running at Missouri? They were averaging mid-30’s and around 500 ypg against SEC defenses when he had Drew Lock.

1 1
        SalUteopia
        Participant

I’m more impressed the important players are healthy and playing.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

now you’re just asking for way too much. You want an OC that can OC and you want healthy players? what are you going to ask for next, special teams worthy of the name?

SalUteopia
            Participant

Who needs special teams when our whole team is “special”.

2008 National Champ
              Participant

why do I think you mean special like they used to in education? 🙂

hbUte
      Participant

I would think Whitt is a no-no on the go-go.

SalUteopia
        Participant

Fine, I would settle for Riley or Mullen.

hbUte
          Participant

Would love to have Mullen. Not so good head coach but great OC.

Utah#1
        Participant

That’s true, but if the program continues to spiral out of control and not look horribly bad which he already does now, he will stop being a control freak and back off the OC and let him/them do their jobs. Whittingham is a control freak and why I believe he can’t get over the hurdles that includes losing the last five bowl games.

Anfernee
          Participant

We’ve had a s**tty 3 game stretch and yes the last two years have been kinda 💩 but before that it was was back to back conference championships and Rose Bowls. We went went into the season ranked in the top 15. Which means our program is greatly respected. Even though we didn’t deserve that ranking. I get as frustrated with Whitt as anyone with OC stuff but the “if the program continues to spiral out of control” and “horribly bad” needs to stop. I grew up a Utah football fan in the 80s. Some of ya’ll don’t even remotely know what a bad football program looks like.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

The problem is those two Rose Bowl teams were both 9-3 and in no danger of sniffing the playoffs under the system in place at the time. The last time Whitt had a truly playoff caliber team was 2019 and they crapped the bed in the CCG.

So we’re now on the 6th season past his best chance, the playoffs have been expanded so that 9-3 could possibly be enough to get trashed after a bye, and the “deepest and most talented roster he’s ever fielded” was out of contention after 6 games. I’ll never understand why we as fans are not allowed to evaluate Whitt every season based on whether or not he meets his own stated goals of 1) making conference championship game, 2) winning CCG and 3) making playoff. Instead we are told that we have to point to previous decades and only compare where the program is now versus then.

Anfernee
              Participant

And yet the “if the program continues to spiral out of control” and “horribly bad” sentiment is still ludicrous.

2008 National Champ
                Participant

I’m missing something. Didn’t you just use those terms? Surely you aren’t suggesting that you are the only one allowed to use hyperbole to make a point.,, Are you?

Anfernee
                  Participant

I was quoting the post above me, silly pants!

2008 National Champ
                    Participant

I swear I read every post again twice and didn’t see it. Mea culpa

Trailgoat
      Participant

Wait…UNLV runs RPO where the QB room comprises QBs with the same profile that actually run the ball on the right read. The UNLV back-up QB steps right in. Everyone knows 5’10” 190lb Wilson is not running the ball more than 1-2 times a game, especially with no backup QB worthy of playing per KW. The Ludwig “complex” offense excuse is a cop out. The legend Mike Leach in his brilliance made a complex offense simple to run for his players he recruited to fit his system. QB goes down, next guy comes in and slings it. Ludwig was the opposite. Leach also was very smart about knowing defenses. Point is, quit making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.