Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Coach Ludwig and technology

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Coach Ludwig and technology

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

First let me say that I have been a big fan of coach Ludwig. Most of Whitt’s successful seasons have been when Ludwig was here, i.e., 2008, 2019, 2021 and 2022.

On yesterday’s Fox broadcast they pointed out multiple times that Ludwig does not use a computer like most coordinators. Is refusing to use modern technology hurting us? I don’t know, but I know that businesses that delayed the use of technology have hurt the company. Many companies stayed away from the internet for way too long, and they paid the price.

I do not want this to be an attack on Ludwig, because I think we are lucky to have him. I am just asking a question. Could we be better if Ludwig embraced technology?

homer
      Participant

Interesting, especially since Utah uses analytics to look for trends of their opponents in all game phases.

I’ve read Utah goes to great lengths to avoid predictable offensive trends. One would think computers are an aide for that.

RoboUte
      Participant

If it works for him then whatever. I think it’s pretty known at this point that Ludwig is the only OC Whitt won’t run out of town in 18 months so if this is what it takes then so be it. The guy can use a typewriter and store his digital info on punched cards for all I care. There is literally no better option for us in the country.

1 2
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Brock HOOard and that other guy with glasses would be the last people I would listen to on how to manage or coach a team.

In fact I mute them and listen to 700. I had like a one second delay. Bill Oreilly was a little snippy with Mitchell yesterday btw.

Adopting new things can be a waste of time or too difficult for some people. I think if he isn’t using aerial replays of the defense on a tablet though Ludwig is pretty stupid.

Charlie
      Participant

Lots of possibilities here. God knows how he plans and analyzes what he wants to do during the week. Who knows what offensive assistants are doing during the game. He may ask a question rather than query it himself. Maybe he prefers to think and has a paper model to reference that has been refined for eons. Bottom line is outcomes and results. Ever seen someone quick on a technical tool with less understanding of the subject?

Utah
      Participant

Whitt was doing analytics way before moneyball became cool.

I don’t use my phone as a planner. I still use paper and pen. But I have hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment that is used at work.

There is a lot of value in handwriting.

To think Ludwig doesn’t use computers because he doesn’t have a tablet…I don’t buy it.

PNW Ute
      Participant

Ludwig did have something on the table in front of him that he would look down at. I’m guessing probably paper, but could have been a screen. But even if Ludwig isn’t personally on a tablet during the game, doesn’t mean other members of to staff aren’t. The other coaches up in the box with Ludwig clearly had tablets. And they’re all communicating.

Hellhound152
      Participant

Mike Leach ran one of the most high powered offenses in college football for 20 years off a piece of paper that looked like a delinquents homework wadded in his pocket. And he did it from field level on the fly. Paul Johnson was the same way at Georgia Southern, Navy, and Georgia Tech and killed it for the most part even running the triple option on the ACC.

I think we fail to remember that most of the Coaches are still analog… Heck, Ludwig and Whitt get the senior discount at Denny’s.

Utes 69
      Participant

when ever Isaac Wilson gets in the game, they need to open up, the playbook, weak ass offense will not cut it his year,

Hellhound152
        Participant

They did, he missed reads on simple concepts and threw into double coverage multiple times when other receivers in the route were running wide open. You can call play 128 of 128 in the play book and it won’t work if the QB can’t make the decisions to operate the play.

Isaac forced the coaches to shut down the offense, not the other way around…

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

An intern can run all the statistics and numbers and do “tech stuff” as my 87 year old dad calls it. Lud doesn’t need to.

DataUte
      Participant

Up in the box, both guys on either side had tablets/computers going. As a leader (with a computer brain), he is assimilating information and can ask questions but doesn’t need to query it himself while using the system that has made him a successful coordinator, which he knows is his wheelhouse. He’s no neophyte to technology, he just uses it different rather than getting bogged down with analysis paralysis, prepping before and getting input so he can use the valuable seconds to make decisions and get them to his players.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.