Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

Comparison scoring can be misleading

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Comparison scoring can be misleading

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      5 1
      ProudUte
      Participant

However, none of the comparison scoring looks good for Utah. Baylor is 2-4 and not beaten anyone of note. Utah State is terrible and gave us a game. Ok State is really bad and they have lost three in a row. Arizona lost at home to a lowly Texas Tech. (How did we lose that game???)

I know that I will get some thumbs-downs for this post, and that is okay. I am only expressing what I feel based on what I have seen. I am not trying to state this as a fact, just one man’s opinion.

We (including me) had high hopes for this team. Some thought that this may be one of our best teams ever. IMO, we have not looked good. Yes, we have had some key injuries and so has every other team in the conference. Our defense has not been great. However, when you consider our two safeties from last season as well as our leading D-end are now in the NFL, it makes some sense. You add to that injuries to Damuni, Johnson, Reid and O’Toole, I guess we are doing as well as anyone could expect.

No one here wanted our Utes to be great and a top-ten team more than me. But, we are not close to being that team IMO. We certainly would be doing more on offense with a senior QB leading the way. I do not doubt this. But, I don’t think we would still be a top-ten caliber team. Injuries happen, and you play the game.

I am not trying to trash our guys. I love our Ute players, but they are simply not what we thought they might be. As for me, I have come to accept what I think we really are. I hope that we win every game from now on, but in no way do I expect that.

I am not smart enough to understand and explain why this team is underperforming our expectations. Yet, they are not what I thought they would be. A 4-1 record is not bad, but we have not looked great in getting there.

I completely understand that many of you feel like this team still has great potential and WILL accomplish great things. I respect that, but I am no longer there. However, I will always be a loyal Ute fan.

Go Utes!!!

4 3
      Utah#1
      Participant

Dude, i couldn’t have said it any better myself. Well spoken! I expressed my two cents replying in other posts that I don’t think our team is as good as advertised or thus far has not passed the eyeball test. For that my responses got down votes and that’s fine. I am a realist and at this point in the season we aren’t playing like or looking like the Big12 favorites. 4-1 yes, but IMO we haven’t looked like a 4-1 team on the field, let alone a top 25 team without Rising out. Wilson is good but he’s inexperienced and a freshman. The conference this far has some parity with some surprises coming out of the woodwork. IMO, the ASU game is a 50/50, and don’t think that’s a gimme anymore. Hopefully this bye weekend did some good for the team and provided time for some self reflection to refocus and get back to playing Utah football with or without Rising. We will see but right now I am expecting the same Utah team that lost to Arizona showing up like that in Tempe. We’ll see, go UTES!

2 1
        Crazyforu
        Participant

You aren’t wrong.

There is nothing Utah has shown to this point, that tells me they can roll the rest of their way.

The hope is that Reid, O’Toole, and of course Cam are all back, and things look as was expected. So far though, I have zero confidence in a single game the rest of the way.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

We have yet to pass the smell test.

2 1
        ProudUte
        Participant

Tony, there is a smell. However, it’s not the smell we had hoped for. 🙂

3 1
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

I wouldn’t call Texas Tech “lowly”. They’re 5-1, have beaten both Arizona schools, and are definitely in the hunt for a spot in the Big XII title game. If they’re “lowly”, and we go to Tempe this Friday and lay an egg, what does that make us? Subterranean dwellers, seeing as then we would have lost to both Arizona schools? The fact is, that, unlike what a lot of people thought going in, there’s a lot of parity in this conference and no team is good enough to run away with the title. That includes Utah, especially if Rising is out of the mix. So, in my opinion, Utah would be best served by dismissing any sort of delusions of grandeur, firmly placing its undivided attention on whoever is its next opponent on the schedule, and loudly proclaiming that team as the best team in college football. I just don’t think that no matter what the pundits say and given the current circumstances, Utah strikes any fear in the hearts of future opponents.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

I agree Miami. I don’t feel like we’ve played a complete game yet. Defense has been good minus a few plays and offense has played not so good with a few good plays.

As of now it looks like we were overrated. 7 games left to prove otherwise. Cam comes back and gives us a spark the season can still be successful. Lots of pressure on two fingers.

Utah
        Participant

Utah healthy (with Rising) runs away with this conference. It isn’t great.

Utah without Rising, is a top tier Big 12 team. Able to beat anyone and able to lose to the better teams.

1 1
          NVUTE
          Participant

The only problem with this is that there is no such thing as a healthy Rising.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Bulls**t brother. It’s obvious to me that you haven’t seen other top teams in this conference play this season. Even with a healthy Rising, Utah would have to play lights out to beat teams like Iowa State and BYU…

DataUte
      Participant

I feel like the defense has been a little more disappointing than the offense. With change of QB on offense, opposing defenses have made it harder and forced Isaac to beat them and he’s just not quite there yet. However, our TOP is pretty good, so the defense should be fresh and flying around the field.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.