Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Detailed article on our offense

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Detailed article on our offense

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

Utah’s offense

This is a detailed article about our offense. It mentions each position group and many of the players. Ludwig sounds very optimistic. He mentions playing the 14 set with 4 tight ends. He makes it sound like Lohner will be a key component in our offense.

He said this about Rising:

“If there’s rust — sometimes we talk about, ‘Hey, Cam, if you make a mistake, there’s probably three people in the world that know it: me, you and your dad.’ He’s gonna make it right, so if there was a little rust earlier, I see that getting polished up very much so,” Ludwig said. “It’s all gonna be a matter about taking that first hit, which we’d all like to avoid, but it’s a contact sport — collision sport — and see how he reacts to that and move on. But I’m not seeing the rust; there’s no rust.”

This article is worth a read.

Utah
      Participant

Me likely the no rust comment.

Dallas
        Participant

On the running backs:

Running back

As previously reported, there’s been no separation among the running backs, though Micah Bernard, Jaylon Glover and Mike Mitchell have separated themselves from the rest as the most consistent running backs in practice.

But for as talented as they are, running backs coach Quinton Ganther said the room is still wide open.

“Those three are the main guys until they’re not, because I’m gonna tell you, we have a guy that’s electric in that room, and when he touches the ball, he moves on a different playing field than everyone else, and that’s Dijon Stanley,” Ganther said. “He is making strides where he’s gonna have to force our hand to play him and use his skill set.”

Stanley’s frame is thinner than many in the room — he’s continuing to work to add size — but his speed has been a difference maker for the position group with an every down back.

Regardless of who plays, Ganther said he wants consistency and little to no dropoff from each player that sees the field — or could see the field.

“There’s not a single team across the country that only use one guy. … I don’t want to drop off,” Ganther said. “If somebody goes down, I don’t want to be like, ‘Oh my goodness, what are we going to do now?’ No, the next man up, he might be more productive than a guy that was playing ahead of him.”

For Ludwig, he’s more pleased with how well each player has done of taking care of the ball in practice.

“The thing I would really credit the running back group overall is they’re doing a great job in the way they’re carrying the ball and protecting the ball — big ball security emphasis for us, obviously — but they’re doing an outstanding job with that. … I feel confident in that group,” he said. “Will we have tailback by committee? Will it be one guy? I just want the best players on the field to do what they do really well, and protect the football and run hard.”

Dallas
          Participant

Bernard, Glover, and Mitchell: all pretty equal???

Kirk Herbstreet
            Participant

Yes. That is a good thing. All three will be effective this year. So will Stanley. You are WAY to worried about the RBs. They will be better as a group than last year or even the year before that (when we won the PAC 12). Part of that is due to Cam being back, part of that is due to the Oline, part of that is due to the talent and maturity of the group and part of that is due to the fact that Utah is going to throw it a lot more than you are used to.

AllInUteFan
      Participant

The best part of the article for me is that we have had our top 5 OL identified for a while. The past few years it always seems like the rhetoric was “we have 10 guys that are in the mix” up to the first game. Give me 5 clear starters vs 10 maybes every time.

The true test will be facing a bunch of new DCs. There is definitely a learning curve, certainly not an insurmountable one.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.