Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Didn’t think anything would change.

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Didn’t think anything would change.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Did not expect Whitt to do anything. Selling this as resignation or is it what actually occurred?

Good luck to Ludwig in his future. Not sure who will take over play calling. I might listen to the media tomorrow. I just don’t believe anything Whitt says anymore.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

It’s only conjecture on my part, but what I imagine happened is that Whitt told Lud that he was demoting him and Lud told him the old Johnny Paycheck song. It’ll be interesting to see if Lud gets his buyout since, by resigning, he shouldn’t get anything.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

I am hearing rumors that the bald guy. The QB analysis guy Mike Bajakan is taking over as OC.

I looked up Northwestern stats for when he was the play caller 2020-2023:

Northwestern averaged 23 ish PPG in 2020, 16ish in 2021, 13.8 in 2022 and 22.1 in 2023

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

IMO it was probably a case of resign or get fired. Resigning looks better.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Yeah, but if you resign your contract is rendered null and void. By resigning, Ludwig, at 61+, would be walking away from close to ~$5.5M. That’s a tough ask.

Utopia
          Participant

Possibly just calling it “resigning” for public face-saving reasons, but formally there is a buyout agreement? Or would that level of non-transparency dealing with pay not be legal because it’s a public institution?

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

Don’t know. Maybe there was some kind of “influencing” that happened.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

I’m in agreement with others. I think Whit probably approached Ludwig and told him he was demoting him. Either Ludwig offered his resignation as a way to tell Whit he knew he hadn’t produced at the level he should have, or it got contentious and he offered his resignation which Whit accepted. Either way, I am happy with the outcome. Maybe we can stop degrading Whit’s legacy now. There’s going to be a statue of the man outside of RES someday. He made the hard but right choice. Some things like the injury report thing can be annoying but Whit has elevated Utah football beyond what any of us could have ever expected.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Whitt’s in charge of his own legacy. There isn’t anything any of us can say that will tarnish it. He built it up by winning games and it will only be diminished if he stays in the job but doesn’t keep producing at the level he has made everyone accustomed to.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.