ESPN

Embrace the villainy

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Embrace the villainy

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      7 12
      COUte
      Participant

Oklahoma State was supposed to be our biggest test. On the road, hot as hell, no Rising. Sure it got a little more dramatic at the end than it should have been but OSU got nothing. Let them call us arrogant, let them call us villains. When you’re the best, no reason to hide it. We don’t gotta be friends. We don’t need to be “grateful”. This conference is lucky to have us. Idgaf about money. Utah won in the WAC, Utah won in the MWC, Utah won in the PAC. Put us in the damn Sun Belt. UTAH FOOTBALL IS GOING TO WIN no matter where we are.

25 1
      TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

I have no problem being the villain of the conference, but there’s no reason to rub their face in the loss here. They have good and passionate fans. That being said, the Utah doubters in the conference can suck it.

Gugstanley
      Participant

I hope we can win in the Sun Belt

COUte
        Participant

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

The Miami Ute
      Participant
      RoboUte
      Participant

The problem is that we’ve done nothing villainous, the B12 fandom is just super mad that we don’t suck. It’s no wonder they don’t mind BYU when all of us know the truth.

COUte
        Participant

Simply being the best program and telling people the truth about it makes you a villain in some people’s eyes.

Ultimate Ute
          Participant

To those that wish to make Utah a villain, YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

AlohaUte
      Participant

I’m glad we got to this point. All off season we were walking on egg shells smiling a nodding while hearing idiots claim the Big-12 (even w/o OU and TX) was better than the pac-12 and Utah doesn’t know what they are getting into. Had to hear about the racous environments that were so much harder to play at than Autzen. Had to suffer through claims that the Big12’s physicality is going to surprise Utah.

Look, I like the Big 12, I like the Pac more and I wish we played more regional teams, But I’m glad we are where we are. But I’ve seen nothing this season so far to validate any of the above. It’s pretty much been exactly as I expected. A bunch of solid, not great, teams who are a lot of fun with passionate fans, but nothing at all scarier than Oregon, Washington, and USC.

Miles E.
        Participant

You can say that again.

4 3
        COUte
        Participant

Exactly. I’m tired of acting like the Big12 did us a favor. Yeah we were in a bit of a sucky situation. Doesn’t mean the Big12 isn’t lucky AF that Utah joined them.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I’ve made almost this exact same comment on other sites. The PAC 12 was head and shoulders above the B12 in terms of quality teams.

2 1
      MotherJabubu
      Participant

This all dates back to the week leading up to the 2019 conference championship weekend. The entire week was Oklahoma (and the rest of the big12) and Utah throwing s**t at each other over who would get the 4th playoff spot. Big12 stans just couldn’t tolerate that uppity inferior Utah dared argue they deserved a spot over their Lord and sire OU. We got waxed by Justin Herbert and then embarrassed by Texas in the bowl game and they’ve been sneering at us ever since.

Add in the fact that they and all the other conferences (wrongly) considered the Pac-12 to be the weakest of the p5… The idea of ‘mid’ Utah coming in and lording over them has them absolutely furious.
      I kind of understand their anger but 1. they are ignorant about how good our football program is. 2. they also don’t care to understand that the destruction of the pac 12 was a disaster for the U of U from a non football perspective, regardless of how they feel about the football aspect.

Uteanooga
      Participant

All true points. On the other hand-

As Utah is a member of the B12, complaining about the B12 and saying the conference sucks is complaining about ourselves and, in some ways, saying that we suck.

If a dude has a gorgeous wife who leaves him, and he remarries to someone who is not as pretty as his ex, it does him no good to complain about how his ex was better than his wife. He ought to STF up and make the best of what he has.

They left us. We were not considered good enough to be a new member of the better club. Close, perhaps, but not invited. Acting like whiny bitches does not make the program more attractive to the B10.

The truth hurts. Flame away.

ProudUte
      Participant

Sorry, that’s not my style. I want to win the conference championship and act like we have been there before. I have nothing against any team in this conference including BYU (CB is another story). I have no desire to act arrogant or better than anyone else. Just win!!!

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

We have not won the conference yet. Let the season play out. Nobody in the comments above is wrong. We have not played a good quarterback yet. Barnes has given us the most trouble so far. Let’s see how our secondary holds up against Arizona.

I like our chances in the conference and with no USC Oregon Washington to worry about. Let’s enjoy this season for what it is and be supportive of the conference and hopefully represent it in the playoffs.

2 2
      AZUTE
      Participant

I’m perfectly fine wearing the black cowboy hat in this movie and being the bad guy.

It worked for the Bad Boy Pistons it worked for the Madden/Davis Oakland Raiders. It worked for the Jimmy Johnson Miami Hurricanes.

Utah fan on X have given the other 99% of Utah fans a bad name…..whatever but byu fans have gone out of their way to promote the same narrative.

At the same time byu fans and administrators have gone out of the way to be nice and make everyone in the big12 like them. Playing the other schools’s fight song and giving visitors ice cream are just a few examples of their brown nosing efforts.

I don’t care if you don’t like me I got enough friends.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

If you have to tell people you’re better than them.. you’re not.

This should be abundantly clear to everyone within several hundred miles of Provo.

Utegator
      Participant

Because they sent BYU a lifeline. “FINALLY someone wants us, here’s some ice cream!”.

utefansince79
      Participant

I don’t mind being resented because opposing fans want to see the higher ranked team fall. Teams I want to see fail the most are ones that have won the most over the years (Yankees, Lakers, Manchester United, Cowboys, etc.)

But I would rather not be disliked due to some of our players/fans being disrespectful to other schools and/or the conference we are in.

I do miss the PAC12 as it was all western teams who (except for the 2 that were left out in the shuffle) are now all in conferences that include teams in states that are in the Eastern time zone. But am positive when talking about the Big12 as a whole.

Duhwayne
      Participant

What is this script? With regard to conference unhappiness a lot of that was BYU fans trying to poison the well before we arrived. Yes we mourned the death of the conference but I think that’s reasonable. So what.

We are here now. Just play and beat whoever is in front of you. What else is there to do?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.