Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Ethan Calvert is the 4th highest rated LB in the country

The Analytics Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ethan Calvert is the 4th highest rated LB in the country

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gUrthBrooks
      Participant

Have we ever recruited a LB er this high? 96%, almost 97% rating on 247 sports. 6’3” 230 lbs. I mean, the recruiting at The U the last few years is at a level never seen before.

I feel like Utah is still picking up the diamonds in the rough too. This 6’8 zeroue Williams kid will be interesting to watch how he progresses.

Is there a free recruiting class ranking site that you recommend? I don’t have ESPN+.

UteBacker

Ute Recruits

Look at the bottom of the page.  Calvert is the third highest-rated signee in the history of Utah Football.  We now have the highest rate and 3rd highest-rated players on this team.  Impressive.

Crazyforu
      Participant

I was looking at previous years classes, there is no question Utah has upped their game the last few years. Calvert is physically something we haven’t seen at LB as a freshman. Someone we are used to seeing at SC, not Utah.

As I was looking at Utah’s class yesterday, I stumbled on Bama’s class. Holy hell, I think they have 3 of the top 10 recruits in the country. That is insane. The way things are currently setup, it is damn near impossible for anyone outside of that top 5-10 recruiting ranking to legitemately compete. They literally can pick and choose who they want, are pretty much a shoe in for the playoff ever year, unless they lose 2 games. 

That said, Utah has absolutely been upping their game, its good to see them in the upper tier in the PAC. Assuming that trend continues, you are looking at USC/Utah in the South, Washinton/Oregon in the North for the next while. Good company!

2 1
        Utesbyfive
        Participant

You think Bama is bad now, wait until the players are getting paid. Well, when that happens, most of college athletics will just disappear, so no worries.

Crazyforu
          Participant

Exactly. It is absurd. They don’t even have to develop their guys. If you are bringing in that much top level talent, something is bound to pan out. Hell, they have 2 first round picks at WR in this coming draft. I think Utah has had 1 first round WR, ever? The ol’ rich get richer.

MDUte
            Participant

Although, keep in mind that USC has traditionally been a top 5 recruiting class year in and year out. That’s how bad they have underachieved during the Helton years and post Pete Carroll years. Could you imagine Whit and our staff with that type of talent? We’d be right there banging on the CFP door every year.

UteBacker

When I need to a little humbling, I check out Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson’s recruiting classes.  Insane.  That’s what you have to do to win a Natty though.  We have a bit of work left to do.  I love our class coming in though.  We continue to build.

Utesbyfive
          Participant

The reason they pull those type classes, is because they win championships. It’s a self-perpetuating system.

CB
            Participant

Except you have anomalys like Georgia/Texas who consistantly recruit at an elite top 5 level just to go 8-4 every year. Recruiting is important. Coaching is important. You can have one but not the other, but top 5 recruiting classes with coaches like Helton/Herman/Smart don’t get you anywhere. 5 star coaching staff > 5 star recruiting class. You go to the playoffs if you have both.

We have the 5 star coaching staff, getting closer every year to that 5 star recruiting class.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.