Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Few projections have Boise State with 1st Round Bye

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Few projections have Boise State with 1st Round Bye

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ted Lasso
      Participant

I’ve seen some projections that have Boise State being the 4 seed and getting the first round bye over the Big 12 champion, whether that be BYU, Colorado, Kansas State, or Iowa State. I would be pretty p**sed from a Big 12 standpoint if that were to happen, because we all know that playing a power 4 schedule is way different than playing a mountain west schedule. I do think Boise State might be better than any team the Big 12 has, but I don’t think Boise State would have the depth to get through a Big 12 schedule.

I know you guys would find it hilarious if they did put Boise State ahead of BYU and I get it, but for the future of the Big 12 conference, I hope a precedence isn’t set here. I highly doubt it would happen but it’s possible. If Boise State had beaten Oregon, I might feel differently.

1 5
      Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Top four seeds are P4 conference champions. No way Boise can be a top 4 ahead of Big12 champ or any other P4 champ.

Ted Lasso
        Participant

If I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure the top 4 seeds are the highest ranked conference champions. So a G5 conference champion can still get a 1st Round Bye if they are ranked higher than a P4 champion.

NarfUte
          Participant

Lasso is correct. Top-5 highest ranked conference champions make it, and the top-4 ranked conference champions get the top 4 seeds regardless of P4 vs. G5(6). So, theoretically the MWC champ could be ranked higher than the lowest P4 champ.

Rick Walker
      Participant

I’ve been thinking this was a possibility for awhile now. Anyone in the big 12 loses and Boise state wins out then Boise probably gets the 4 seed. It basically comes down to if BYU Iowa state can stay undefeated or Kansas state can smoke everyone remaining on their schedule because Boise States 3 point loss to Oregon is gonna be better than any loss anyone in the Big12 has.

Charlie Foxtrot
      Participant

This is the problem with a system where the best teams from either the Big 12 or ACC start the season unranked or barely in the top 25. The B1G or SEC don’t need to worry about having their conference champions bumped for a G5 but the Big 12 and ACC certainly do.

If Boise St. does get a 1st round bye then I hope they get matched up against a B1G or SEC team and take them out in the second round.

SalUteopia
      Participant

What is this playoff thingy you’re talking about, Ted? Must be nice to be a premium team.. 😞

Ted Lasso
        Participant

Haha I don’t feel bad for you guys at all, you’ve had enough fun the last 3-4 years 😉 And BYU will find a way to choke. It’s statistically likely.

Kellso
          Participant

It would be a sad day in football if BS gets the first round bye over a Big12 champ. I don’t care who it is.

RoboUte
          Participant

lol. Well they may not win but getting the opportunity is all you can ask for. One step at a time. And you just may capitalize on that opportunity.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

In the middle of a major coaching change you want to discuss why a different team than Utah should be unhappy if they get snubbed for another team not named Utah?

RedUte14
      Participant

Utah fans hate boise state almost as much as BYU. so i think most of us would hate to see that.

Utah#1
      Participant

You should already know why? They don’t respect anyone else in the Big12 outside of Utah which was projected a pre-season #4 seed in the CFP until they F’d that up, yet again! The powers that be, think BYU is not as good as their record shows (kinda agree with them…) or even worthy to be in the same conversation as the top 10 regardless of one loss, and why it took them as long to become a member of a P4. No one wanted them, and IMO still don’t. I think even if they finish top 10 in the CFP rankings, CFP committee could leave them out and include other undefeated teams in the top 25 not named BYU.

Do they deserve to be selected for a CFP berth if they are still undefeated when the selections are decided? Yes, I do; but is their schedule kinda soft and will they probably get destroyed by a top 10 team, I think they would, but who knows.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.