• Author
      6 3
      ALUF
      Participant

SUU – come on, this is SUU

1-0

Baylor – we show Baylor what Utah is really about and win big

2-0

At Utah state – payback for the loss in 1812 or whatever the last loss was. Obviously none of the current roster was on the 2012 team but I’m sure KW doesn’t have us geared for a loss here. Hoping to see pig farmer but it sounds like he is the back up

3-0

At Oklahoma state – first loss is here and has nothing to do with their qb. This is a tough place to win in and we suck on the road against ranked teams. Fact check me but I think our last win against a team on the road who finished ranked in the top 25 was Oregon in the infamous 2015 game. I can’t get pass that and I hope I’m wrong.

3-1

Arizona – this team we have is not the same team in Arizona last year. Utah by 87

4-1

At Arizona state – I don’t think asu is a team that is feared yet, still building and we won 55-3 last year with a worst team.

5-1

TCU-Hoover is what makes this team either really good and a dark horse for the xii or he sucks and they in turn blow. Plus broughton over there will get scored on for sure.

6-1

At Houston – they suck.

7-1

BYU-p – this game will only be sneaky for the sake of the rivalry. It has been since 2006 since they won in slc. And they’ve had better teams since then that have lost and this iteration of byu-p ain’t it.

8-1

At Colorado – this is the type of game we may lose and I’m 50/50 on. Coming off the holy war will be tough. Shedeur and hunter are for real. And I think they could score a bunch on us. However the lines are dramatically in our favor

9-1

Iowa state – this one could be tough, their offense seems good and they’re a team that can stop other contenders from reaching Dallas but probably won’t make it themselves

10-1

At ucf – short week on thanksgiving and across the country. Kj Jefferson and a coach who has a natty does not sit well with me. Just like Iowa state, they can decide who makes it to Dallas and I think they do so by winning against us

10-2

Unfortunately I think Oklahoma states win against us is the tiebreaker that gets them to Dallas and ksu has a very manageable schedule. I do have ksu winning this and we play in some who gives a damn bowl.

Who knows though really, hope I’m wrong but this is how I see it going. Hopefully OSU falls in enough games to let us in or ksu. It all starts tomorrow though and I think we are all ready to hear bad moon blaring on the speakers at RES!!!

Go UTES!!!

UteBacker

I’ll give it at try.

I agree with you on the 10-2 final record with the same two losses. We end in a 5-way tie for first in conference play with Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU & Iowa St. We somehow lose out on the tie-breaker, but make it into the playoff anyway without having to play in the BigXII conference championship game. A rested Utah team battles to a 1st round playoff win but then gets overmatched by an SEC team to end the season at 11-3. I’ll take it.

ALUF
        Participant

In your scenario, what is the tiebreaker procedure?

UteBacker

I have no earthly clue and I doubt the conference even knows right now. I just like the idea of skipping the conference championship game and going into the playoff rested.

Love your picture by the way. Caleb Williams is such a douche.

ALUF
            Participant

Thank you, is nails say “back to back” . I’ll keep it as the profile pic until we win the big xii and it will be something that symbolizes this year or whenever it is.

We have had great luck on tiebreakers over the years. So I was curious on your scenario. 2022 will never be forgotten when we lost at Oregon and some guy on here was like “not so fast” the planets need to align and they did. We beat Colorado, civil war, and then the apple cup! lol what a year

Mule
            Participant

Rested, but no bye. And probably not a home game either. Better to have the bye IMO.

BigBadUte
      Participant

FYI regarding wins on the road against ranked opponents, USC was ranked 18th last year when we beat them at the Coliseum with the pig farmer

ALUF
        Participant

They didn’t finish the year ranked did they? That’s what I’m saying

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

They finished unranked. His question was the last time the Utes beat a ranked team on the road that finished the season ranked.

bopahull
      Participant

I agree with your assessment of the first 3 games.
      I think Utah will win a close highly contested game in Stillwater. If they do win I think that makes the game against Arizona more scary. Coming off such an emotional game feeling they just got passed their most significant hurdle could make them ripe for a letdown against an Arizona team that is coming off a bye week.
      If they lose to OSU, I think the Arizona game will be a massacre, Arizona won’t have a chance.
      I think the next significant challenge is Colorado. By the time we play them, we will know how this new Bison team is working out. They replaced most of their team again and did pick up some highly rated players so by the time we play them we’ll know. This could be a tough game in their house.
      ISU looks like a solid team but we have them at home and Utah seldom loses at home.
      As about everyone has already stated, this game is setup for failure. Very long travel, the day after Thanksgiving and the short week. I think this game could come down to depth of each team. UCF has added some high rated recruits and probably will do pretty well this year.
      I think it’s more likely Utah will come into this game in better physical condition than UCF. I feel our depth in almost every position is very good. UCF can’t afford many injuries because they lack that depth. This could be enough of an advantage to pull this game out for the UTES, even though the travel and scheduling suck.
      I think UTAH will go 12-0 OR 11-1 with a first round bye in the CFP.

ColumbiaUte
      Participant

I think we finish 10-2 with losses to Oklahoma State and UCF. If OSU was later in the season, then maybe we win, but the fact it is early in the season and that place will be rocking doesnt bode well for us. I also see the UCF as a trap game. Short turnaround, two timezone changes usually is a recipe for a loss. I think we are the better team, but I suspect UCF to be the darkhorse this season by beating a few teams above their weightclass. That should be good enough though for a trip to Dallas (which I am soon moving to so added perks to that). I also think the BYU game this year wont be close as in years past.

Utah
      Participant

I don’t think we lose a game after the Arizona week. And Oklahoma State doesn’t scare me at all. Not in the slightest. They have no QB and they want to run the ball. Their QB turns the ball over a lot when they can’t run. If OSU turns the ball over and we get some quick scores with Rising and his receivers…

This game could get ugly fast.

I honestly think we are more likely to go 12-0 than 10-2, with our most likely record being 11-1.

This is our best defense ever. We have a QB that has gone 19-1 vs teams that have equal or less talent. We have maybe our best receivers…well…ever.

This team is special. And we have a backup QB who may end up being our best QB we’ve had in the PAC-12.

After the Arizona/OSU game, we won’t lose again.

Redblood
        Participant

You think our D will be better than last years after losing Vaki, Bishop, Ellis to the league and Damuni to injury and two corners?

I think the D will be worse, but O maybe the best we’ve had since 04.

Utah
          Participant

Our DL is so good. And our LB’s are the best we’ve ever had. Bishop is a step down, but I think overall our secondary will be better this year.

22Ute22
          Participant

Our D will be just as good, if not better. Our DL is much deeper this year, and more importantly, they are healthy going into the season. Remember, Van apparently didn’t start practicing until the week of the Florida game because he was dealing with Mono. O’Toole had a hernia I believe. OnlyU I think said Tafuna was never 100% during the season.

I 100% believe out DL will be significantly better, and they were really good last year. I think the LB room is fine. Barton, Reid, Fotu, and Calvert are a good 4 with experience. We have heard really good things about Reynolds and apparently Hall moved to LB. Plus, Damuni might be back later in the season.

Corner play is going to be better. ZV returns and we lose the dead weight of Broughton and Battle. Broughton was the lowest rated P5 cornerback in the country last season. They literally cannot be worse. Gilman was a really good player at Stanford and I don’t think the drop off between Bishop/Vaki to Gilman is going to be huge. Tao Johnson is also a more ballhawk safety than Bishop or Vaki were.

Then you add in the fact that our offense will keep them off the field for longer, and that we won’t face any team as talented as USC, UW, or USC, and I expect our defensive numbers to dramatically improve. I’m calling it right now, Utah will finish top 10 in ppg allowed and in defensive efficiency ratings.

UtesRule
      Participant

Calling my shot right here right now.

By seasons end, Oklahoma State will be the most overrated team in the B12 and will finish in the middle of the pack.

Based on a lot of different interviews and publications from people who know a whole lot more about football than I do.

Go Utes!

22Ute22
        Participant

I am really torn on Oklahoma State. I think they are a high floor team due to being very good on OL, RB, WR, and they have an elite LB corp. However, Bowman is arguably the worst QB in the big 12 and their secondary and run defense were not good last year. Additionally, last year Ollie Gordon didn’t start. I’m pretty sure he just ended up being a surprise for Oklahoma State a few games into the season. Will teams now just stack the box and make Bowman beat them? They also have a really front loaded schedule. Arkansas is probably going to be a physical game for them. Then they play Utah, KSU, and WVU in a 3 week time span.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I agree with your wins and losses, but I think OK St. Loses a few more games that will keep them out of the CCG. Utah vs. KSU in the CCG with the Utes in top.
      I reserve the right to change this if Cam gets hurt. They can lose anyone else, and yes, it will hurt, but the Utes will be alright.

ProudUte
      Participant

I can’t argue with Utah having two losses and they may be to the two teams you mentioned. However, I think the Big12 is going to beat up on each other much like the PAC12 did. (Last season was the only time a PAC12 team was unscathed in conference play.)

I think two losses will get us into the conference championship.

Of course, injuries to our team or the other teams will play a big role. For example – OSU without Gordon, will not beat us, IMO. We will lose more than two games if Cam has a season-ending injury. IMO – the talent difference between the top five teams is very thin. A lot will happen between now and December 1st.

NorthernUte
      Participant

14-1 with a win over Oregon in the quarter finals, a win over Ohio State in the semis, and a loss to Georgia in the Natty.

Only partly kidding… love the Utes to go 12-0 though. The rest is subject to change, Go Utes!!

2008 National Champ
        Participant

that would be 16 games if Utah made the final. Can’t go undefeated in the regular season and not qualify for the CCG.

I guess there’s a non-zero probability that there are 3 Big 12 teams that go undefeated and because of tie-breakers, one wouldn’t get in to the CCG but I feel safe in saying that it won’t happen.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Oh man predictions make me nervous. I’m going to predict we can win every game. However we stumble a couple times and finish 10-2. Play in the conference championship and win. I think this is our year and we have the talent and leadership to make it happen. All the players know this is their best chance to get to the CFP. Go Utes. Whitt retires on top.

Charlie
      Participant

I am thinking 11-1 is most likely. The OSU game will key. If the Utes win they will get on a roll that will eliminate the WTF games. If the Utes lose I think they don’t lose again in the regular season.

AlohaUte
      Participant

I’ve got 11-1 in reg season. Utah beats OK State in CG and is 3rd seed in Playoff.

Hellhound152
      Participant

I guess I just don’t get the UCF thing. That mid major squad will be ground to pulp by game 12. Solid starters, but how many key injuries will it take to derail things. In a few years, sure. But now, even with the transfers, they are light for talent in the two deep.

22Ute22
        Participant

You’re severely underestimating Malzahn and UCF’s recruiting, especially with NIL and the portal. It’s not like when Utah moved to the pac 12 in 2011, when it took 4 recruiting cycles to have a full roster of non-G5 recruits. Not to mention that they in a really good spot to get recruits in Florida. Additionally, the only game they got completely destroyed in was against Kansas. I don’t think they are going to make the CCG, but I have no doubt in my mind they will pull off an upset against someone.

Hellhound152
          Participant

I think any positive estimation of Gus Malzahn is an over estimation. Dude has never stuck anywhere, got ran out of every P5 job he had on a rail, and but for the pad hand (aka had boosters buy Newton) he was delt at Auburn would not have a “national championship.” He has never had sustained success because he ain’t any good. This ain’t 7 on 7 brother…

22Ute22
      Participant

I got us going 11-1 with a loss at Ok State or UCF. Win the CCG, get the 3rd seed, and win the first playoff game we play. Then we either lose close in the semifinal, or win the semifinal and get dominated in the natty like UW did against Michigan last year.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.