Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Fish or cut bait!

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Fish or cut bait!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      5 5
      UTE98
      Participant

I don’t know this to be fact, but from what I’ve gathered it is the story I believe. If you can prove me wrong bring facts. But for now this is the story I’m sticking with…

1. Utah was lucky to bring in Wilson this past year. With Cam coming back for the 7th season. What QB wants to be put in the situation NJ, Rose, Barnes were put in last year? Not knowing if you’ll start, and not getting 1st team reps when you do. That has been the case the majority of these past two seasons. How you gonna recruit a QB with that mess?

2. JJ left because of mishandling of the NIL situation. I said it before and I’ll say it again, JJ won more games for Utah last year than Cam, yet Cam got rewarded yet again. Imagine if we had JJ and Wilson, I don’t know that we would have lost this game. With four prior games to prep and MB and JJ it would be hard to not believe we would be better off than our current situation.

3. KW’s comment at the end of the 1st quarter the other night was arrogant. That’s what the analytics say, and it “was the right decision.” That rings pretty hollow looking back. You’ve got a Freshman QB, you think you have a good D, play Kyle Ball, win the war of attrition. But nope, you go for the jugular, lose momentum and profess it was the right thing. Sure I’m Monday morning QBing, but looking at the result, it “may” have been tied at 16 late in the game. Instead KW and Lud continue to chase points from the first quarter, that is not playing the odds for a whole game. With nearly 50 minutes left you take the points, gamble in the 4th quarter if you need to, not from the opening drive.

4. KW got outcoached, Jedd Fisch is having growing pains in Seattle, but somehow his replacement in Tucson is lighting Utah up at home? Come on man, it doesn’t pass the smell test. Arrogance has resulted in most of the losses these past couple years. Oregon last year, the past several bowl games, Arizona this year. I can’t remember all the losses, but some certainly were games KW got outcoached.

5. All in or in the way? Apparently that doesn’t mean all are in, just those not named Cam have to be all in. CR is in the way, and has been since the beginning of last year. Robo, Eagle and I have been anti-Cam’s return since last year. And nothing I’ve seen has changed my mind. CR’s failure to throw the ball away earlier directly resulted in the Gatorade case catastrophe. Was it a fluke play? Sure! Does that fluke even happen if Cam throws it away earlier? NO! Definitely NO! Cut your losses, and live to play another down. Cam can’t get out of his own way, and it’s hurting this team.

I really wanted to be proven wrong this year with Cam’s return. But I was not wrong based on the current situation. Fact is this team is not where it could be, and Cam and KW are not currently looking like the solution.

Roy Rangum
      Participant

Good gravy. I normally love a little controversy, but how many posts can we have with this same take?

None of us know the future, and maybe it will come to pass that at the end of this year we will all say “wish we would have moved on from Cam sooner”.

But right now, Cam is still the best QB on this team, Kyle is among the best coaches in the country, JQJ left so he could make more money while Cam left money on the table to stay with Utah, and we have a lot of season left to play. There’s still an opportunity to do something great this season.

Bag on Cam and Whitt all you want now, but if this ship turns around, don’t celebrate with us when these same dudes are the ones to lead us to victory.

1 1
        Charlie
        Participant

I agree. I have watched a lot of kids in HS and Little League football move thru a season with ups and downs. It was tough for them to lose games, get pushed around, get hurt, and hear smack. Undefeated season were simply rare. It was always awesome to see kids come back from adversity and win again. It seems all the best seasons even state championships, included a loss along the way that was hard to take. The Utah players, no doubt, took the loss hard which only gets worse when the expectations are the highest. But oh my goodness, it is hard for me to see fans get down on a loss so much. Sadly, there are no coaches to give them a pep talk to help them reset. I really don’t know who helps them.

I learned a long time ago to love the game, love the process and enjoy the ride, entertainment and team dynamics. Of course you want to win each game, do well, and pull so hard for first place. However, if you let a loss ruin your weekend, make you yell at your dog, and lay a bad mood on others around you – you may be in need of a new pastime. If you remain attached get interested in what things need to improve, watch for those improvements, roll with the process. I see a difference between being a football fan and being a fan of winning. It can be entertainment if you insist that it is.

Yeah, I feel bad the Utes lost. Now I am interested in what can/will change to get back on track.

Rick
          Participant

Amen Charlie. Thank you for the post.

Anfernee
      Participant

*yawn*

RedUte14
      Participant

Cam won two Pac12 championships. where was JJ for that?

RedUte14
      Participant

you are just filling in the parts you truly don’t know with your own feelings.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.