Fox

Florida State Mascot

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Florida State Mascot

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      1 34
      BleedsRedUte
      Participant

I didn’t realize that Florida State still uses a Seminole on a horse at games. I remember when the Utes had a student dressed as a Ute ride a horse onto the field and plant a spear in the ground. Been a lot of years ago, and has not been started back up again.

Actually I would be completely good with a change to something like the Utah Red tailed Hawks. Like any change it would take getting used to.

Hellhound152
      Participant

The tribal elders disagree. And frankly, they are the only ones whose votes count on the issue. Every time someone asks “what’s a Ute?” usually being an ass, we get the opportunity to educate people on the proud indigenous people who were the original “people of the mountains.”

29 5
        2008 National Champ
        Participant

why should the Tribe’s opinion matter when there are “well-meaning” people with no skin in the game who won’t feel complete unless they can be offended on someone else’s behalf?

12 1
          22Ute22
          Participant

Good ol’ savior complex.

5 1
            dwainegf
            Participant

Very well said. The only Native tribe That I know of that asked for the name changes are the Oglala Sioux From the Dakotas. Heck there is even a group of Natives suing the Washington Commanders to get the old name back. It would offend me to have a group of stuffy academic types telling me that I should be offended. I would know if I was offended already.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

Can’t tell you how happy I am to see the lovely Ms. Dabritz back as your icon.

AlohaUte
        Participant

Why when someone asks “what’s a Ute?” are they usually being an ass? 9 times out of 10 they are just quoting My Cousin Vinny.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

A few years ago, a professor at the U wrote an article in the SL Trib. about how the university should drop the Runnin Utes nickname. The next day, an elder from the Ute nation wrote a rebuttal basically saying they don’t need some white man telling them when they should be offended. He went on to say they love the university and are proud to be able to represent it. They work closely with the U, and their kids get scholarships all because of the nickname. They also get to share their heritage and culture and love to do the Ute Proud halftime show every year. Take away the name and they lose that.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

Drive out to Uintah county and it will become abundantly clear to anyone who has eyes that the Ute tribe LOVES the UofU affiliation. There is UofU stuff all over the reservation.

These people that think they can guess what is offensive to Ute tribe members don’t need to guess. Just drive an hour and a half to the east and they’ll know exactly how the tribe feels.

Duhwayne
          Participant

Uintah County right? My autocorrect changed it to Utah too.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

This conversation bubbles up every football season. If people think the Utah Utes should change their name, why aren’t they calling for the entire STATE of UTAH to change its name?

High Uintas
      Participant

Utah couldn’t do a warrior with a spear because they are trying to avoid war symbolism.

10 4
      AlohaUte
      Participant

Eff that. In fact never post or share this opinion about changing the team name again. There are few things on earth more condescending or racist than white do-gooder guilt.

DataUte
      Participant

Anyone catch the USC ‘mascot’ trying to stab his sword into the turf at Allegiant. Pretty funny.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

No I missed that. Was it a fail?

UteThunder
          Participant

From the video I saw, he struggled to pierce the turf but got the blade to go in an inch or two. Then he struggled for a second to remove it from the turf. That description makes it sound worse than it was, it happened very bang-bang quick. Just looked more awkward than anything.

GameForAnyFuss
            Participant

Hopefully USC got a bill. Repairing professional-quality turf isn’t cheap.

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

Do you want to deprive tribal youth of the scholarships granted to them via the tribe association with the university too? This is an absurd topic that gets brought up every year. The vast majority of the tribe takes pride in their association with the university. They don’t need some ridiculous political correctness spouted off by the minority to ruin that association.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

I’m just going to say that you wrote this post because you lost a bet and are trying to see how many thumbs down you can get. Am I right?

1 1
      Charlie
      Participant

Growing up in the 50s I saw Hoyo and other cartoon characters used by the U which at the time generated no concern that I noted. I have also know native americans that are no more concerned with this than cowboys are. Still, I want to accommodate even a few people that actually have a concern but hopefully we develop a balance that also considers some among us simply hunt for things to complain about.

AlohaUte
        Participant

you really want to accomodate everyone? There isn’t a single topic that everyone on earth agrees about and very very few that even groups wholly agree with. Are you going to accommodate all of them? It’s ok if 90% of the Ute tribe are happy with the agreement with the University and 10% are not. There are always going to be some that differ. We don’t need to, nor can we, accommodate everyone.

TruckStopTerrors
          Participant

Exactly! There’s no making everybody happy. There’s plenty of people looking to virtue signal though. Like the OP.

Charlie
          Participant

Sorry, not everyone. Ute tribe happy we should all be happy. And yes, a loud 5% will never be happy and never stop complaining.

AZUTE
      Participant

I remember when Utah tried something similar to FSU and it came off so poorly they stopped doing it.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.