Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

FOOTBALL is almost here!

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football FOOTBALL is almost here!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I have not seen a new thread in a few days. In just over two weeks – camp starts.

Question of the day – Will we become a bigger passing team this season?

Whit has ALWAYS been a run-first coach. That has never changed in 20 years. Some years, we have passed a bit more, but running has always been our bread and butter. Our strength on offense this season seems to be our passing game. We have enough quality tight ends to play double and triple tight end sets. We have some excellent WRs like Singer, Pitman, and Parks. Most importantly, we have a proven, experienced quarterback.

I would like to see us come out this season and pass a lot more, especially deep routes. Do I expect it? Not really. I have a hard time believing Whitt will change. I think we will be a lot like 2021.

Go Utes!!!

EastCoastUte
      Participant

It would be a shame if we aren’t a high passing offense due to the weapons that we have.

MDUte
      Participant

I wonder the same thing Proud. I have a hard time believing Whitt would change to a pass-focused offense this year. Balanced offense, which is what Whitt strives for, aren’t ever 50/50 run vs pass. And Utah has typically been more 55/45 run to pass. What I could see is Whitt flipping this to have a balance of 40/60 run to pass.

The offense in 2022 is what I think is most likely what should be expected this year. That was our most productive offense in a long time averaging 466 yards and 38.6 pts per game. The offense averaged 217.6 rushing yards/game and 249.2 passing yards/game. That was the year Whitt elected to give the ball to the offense first if Utah won the coin toss. We have a better receiving corps going into this year with the most experienced and successful QB in program history. I’d be happy with replicating the offensive production of 2022 but if there was ever a year where we set a high watermark for the program, this would be the year! Go Utes!!

ProudUte
        Participant

MD, You are right about the year we got more yardage. I was thinking more about formation when we had Kuithe, Kincade, and Fotheringham all on the field at the same time. That was quite a TE trio.

I hope to see us open up the offense a bit more. We have the QB and the receivers to do so.

Go Utes!!!

Yergensen
      Participant

2023 stats:

Money Parks:
      31 rec/293 yds/9.5 yds per rec/2 TD

Munir McClain:
      15 rec/269 yds/17.9 yds per rec/2 TD

McClain produced the same as Parks on half the opportunities. McClain needs to be playing more and Parks needs to be playing less.

This highlights another quandary in Utah’s offensive scheme. Not only are we run heavy, when we do decide to throw the ball, it’s not to our playmakers.

Stretch the field vertically more often to open things up for the run game and the underneath routes. And for the love of all that is holy, get your playmakers on the field and get them the damn ball.

Jerome Myles is watching.

ProudUte
        Participant

I like what I have seen from McClain. But, at best he will be the 4th or 5th option in this offense (assuming players stay healthy).

The top targets IMO will be: Kuithe, Singer, Pittman, and Bernard. Followed by: Parks, McClain, King, Zipperer, and Ryan. I am sure there will be a surprise that I am not expecting.

BD
          Participant

I am sure there will be a surprise that I am not expecting.

Taeshaun Lyons?

I haven’t heard much about him from Spring football, so maybe he won’t be a surprise, but he was both a high school and transfer 4-star receiver. Seems to have the potential to become a factor I would guess.

D T
          Participant

Don’t forget about the freakish athlete Damien Alford, who was Syracuse’s leading WR last year.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Participant

More big plays. Rising needs to show the NFL he can throw the ball downfield. Defenses hate the big plays and will defend against them opening up the underneath routes and running game. I can’t wait to see Alford Parks and Singer catching deep balls. We have the weapons and the qb go for it Ludwig.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

I suspected that nobody was in the mood to talk sports after the insane happenings this weekend. Seems appropriate.

MDUte
        Participant

So glad that none of that stuff got talked about on here!

5 1
          Central Coast Ute
          Participant

Me too. Someone did make Eagle mountain Utes’ post about Gundy political for some strange reason, though.

ProudUte
          Participant

I completely agree with you MD. I want to go to a Utes sport site to talk sports. This is why I moved on from Utefans about seven years ago. It became too political. I have some strong political opinions, but this is NOT the site to discuss them.

Go Utes!!!

Dallas
      Participant

It’s seems to me that we haven’t been a passing team because we haven’t had the tools to throw and catch the ball consistently. Anecdotally, I remember sooo many dropped balls or under/overthrown passes and thinking to myself that our OCs try to throw it, but our tools just aren’t there consistently, and when passing the ball is ineffective, we rightfully shy away from it.
      Ironically, this year we may have to shy away from the run as our RBs have failed to break out as we are used to, and none of the new guys seems any better than our mediocre Bernard (starter) and Glover (backup).

cobraute
        Participant

First time poster

In recent years, Utah has not had that deep threat WR that demands a DB and a safety over the top in coverage. Defenses around the league have easily covered Utah receivers and have avoided chunk plays by playing man and zone coverage and still cover the box. This years WR group will have at least one deep threat and one person that will demand a double team. If Utahs WR room can draw more than 1 defender deep (DB and Safety) I see a Ute TE setting an all time record in receptions and yards. This all hinges on who Utah has at WR that can find catches 30 yards ways from the line of scrimmage. A deep threat presence is an absolute must in order to be highly rated in the overall passing game.
        The 12 package(1 RB 2 TE and 2 WR will most likely be a staple first down formation. I’d expect a 50/50 run pass on first down and this will shift as run or pass becomes more effective. If Utah is getting 5+ yards per carry, don’t expect a lot of throws. There’s absolutely no need to burn the fuel on the dragster when you are winning the race with a bulldozer. I can see where this will be the case against Southern Utah.

Many are saying, On paper, this Ute WR room, top to bottom, is the most talented WR room Utah has ever seen. The thing that I have not seen in person is top end speed. When I see top end speed of this group, I’ll add my thoughts.

Every team in P5 has one specialty DB that is their #1 lockdown corner. This #1 DB in most cases minimizes some of the effectiveness of WR 1. Great defensive teams have 2 lock down corners. Great offensive teams have 2 high level, elite WRs. Defenses must decide who gets the over the top coverage by the safeties. Utah may have 2 elite WRs and 1 All American Level TE. If this holds true, Utah will have one nice pass package.

Tony (admin)
          Keymaster

Glad you finally posted. Definitely post more!

CityCreekUte
      Participant

I don’t think you can compare completions and yardage without including targets (easier) and times where the receiver should be the 1st or 2nd option(more difficult). The hidden Stat of receiver is not getting open. And some years it’s been anything but hidden on the field

concerned
      Participant

If our rb’s are not up to past performances, I am sort of hoping we run something similar to the old 49er west coast offense, that used the short pass as a run substitute b/c their rb’s were not dominant but could catch short passes out of the backfield. Bernard is good at that.

Rick
      Participant

I think the offensive line will be a HUGE factor in the run vs. pass mix decision. Last season was not a very good pass protection o-line. I am hoping they have improved in that area but Cam needs the threat of the run both from him personally and our RBs for his type of passing game to be effective. He is not some 6’5″ gunslinging pocket passer but he needs better protect than what our line was able to muster last year against good defenses. Just watch the Oregon State game last season as just one example.

MFury
        Participant

I’ve thought a lot about 2022 as a potential analog to this year. 2023 not a great comp as we all know – but even then we started off trying to sling it.

And similarly, while I agree we didn’t have a break out back, tough to get a great read when everyone stacked the box against Barnes. I’m can’t quite say we have a read on the 24 RB room.

I think (hope) that Kyle knows his tendencies, and will tilt more to pass. Looking for Riverboat Kyle to re-emerge in fine form this year.

ArcheryUte
      Participant

My optimism for the receiver room comes from the addition of the two proven receivers that transferred in: Singer and Alford. I can only imagine that gives parks, Pittman and others additional opportunities that haven’t necessarily been there in previous years. Then factor in the Tight End room. Lots of talent to cover.

It’s easy to look at all of these pass catchers and get a sense of excitement that hasn’t been there previous seasons. This group is insanely exciting on paper.

As Jake Peralta would say: “chills, literal chills”

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.