Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Francis Bernard Pac-12 Defensive PoW

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Francis Bernard Pac-12 Defensive PoW

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PlainsUte
      Participant

Zack Moss among those nominated for Ohfensive PoW.

Mika Tafua nominated for DL PoW.  (Linemen have their own PoW now)

https://pac-12.com/article/2019/09/01/pac-12-football-players-week-week-1

whitlessham
      Participant

Utes used to win the special teams every week…What’s the dealio with Utah kicking/ punting… seriously that was a trainwreck last Thursday. 

Maybe open tryouts?

alUmnUs
        Participant

Gotta be honest, when I heard our starter was going to be a left-footed kicker from UCLA, I had many many doubts.

PlainsUte
        Participant

In the press conference KWhitt expressed optimism about Redding.  Apparently he had come out ahead of Strauch, but had a minor injury that wasn’t resolved until a couple days before the TDS game.  Plan now is Strauch handles kickoffs and Redding will do PATs and FGs.  Not expecting numbers like our last few kickers but hopefully no more PATs or short FGs missed.  Redding made two 50 yarders in HS games; he’s just a freshman but can do it.

Chidojuan
        Participant

What was wrong with the punting?  It looked fine.  Returns looked rusty, but serviceable.  Only concern was placekicking.

Ghost of the HEB
        Participant

They’re confident in Redding. Apparently he was the front-runner until he got hurt in camp. The coaches are confident in him, but they were in Strauch, too. I watched Strauch kick all of pregame, and he was nailing 50 yarders like they were nothing.

So we’ll just have to see what happens. Thousands of kickers have the physical part down, it’s the mental aspect that separates the Matt Gay-types from the rest.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I hope that becomes a trend. If he steps up and fills Hansen’s shoes Utah is going to very good.

utefansince79
        Participant

One of the KO returns (where we started on the 5) was rather bad.    Ball took a weird bounce after it looked it may go out of bounds then stayed in and the return man picked it up and promptly got smothered.  While it was an unlucky bounce, you have to wonder where all the blockers were on that play as he had no chance at all.

Stone
          Participant

I doubt the blockers were to blame. That ball never should have hit the ground. The blockers can only hold the blocks for so long, the returner should have been 10 yards ahead by the time he finally picked up the bad bounce. 

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

Nurse thought it was going to go out of bounds. It was a good kick and bad read.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.