Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

Funny meeting with a BYU fan

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Funny meeting with a BYU fan

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I was at the store here in Utah County wearing a Ute polo shirt. A man said to me, “You are wearing a Utah shirt.” I responded, “Yes, I am.” He then said, “You guys should be very good in football. In fact, you should be ashamed if you don’t win the Big 12.”

He went on to talk about how good BYU will be in basketball and I agreed they had an amazing recruiting year.

He was a nice enough guy. I just thought it was funny that I should be ashamed if we don’t win the conference when most BYU fans think that Utes are delusional to think they could possibly win the conference. It’s all good! 🙂

MDUte
      Participant

It’s crazy to me to take a quick glance at CougarBoard and see page after page of MBB threads with an occasional football thread.

2 months to the start of the season and the Zoobs have little to no interest in talking football. I’d love to see Utah finally get MBB back on track but admittedly I really don’t care that much about MBB like I used to. Football is all I really care about. I’m absolutely fine with TDS becoming a basketball school and throwing up the white flag for football. No complaints here, won’t bother me a bit.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

He sounds reasonable. Some byu fans say we’re going to be eating humble pie this fall. I don’t like to say the Utes are definitely going to win because anything can happen. But they have a great shot, and I don’t care what anyone says. The competition absolutely got weaker with the change in conferences.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Then you threw beer on him right?

enigami344
      Participant

most of the BYU fans I have met in real life are cool. Cougarboard is an interesting place

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

Cougarboard is a cesspool. Although we’ve had own bad apples here, Pace comes to mind, I’m glad this site is nothing like that, or UFN. I can’t even deal with the new UFN.

RedUte14
        Participant

many BYU fans i have met in my experience are often delusional.

utepilot
          Participant

Those outside of the bubble know their place.

UteNamedOg
      Participant

Last time I read CB was to see a story regarding a zoobs visit where he and his son were beaten and peed on. Contrast that with most of the in-person interactions being laid back or regarding door to door alarm system sales.

CB is a different animal.

FountainofUte
      Participant

Honestly, THIS is the honeymoon for BYU and their basketball success.

Think about it.

When have they EVER paid off on the hype they build up. They NEVER do. BYU can’t have nice things and that’s why they build up hype and live off ’84 because that’s kinda all they’ve got. Their restrictions as a church school really put a cap on how far they can go particularly in the money sports.

Now, I’m not taking away from what they’ve done since hiring Young. Their recruiting has looked unlike anything I’ve ever thought was possible for them. But they are at the base of a mountain they’ve never really climbed. If they climb it I’ll give them their kudos.

But this is the “Quest for Perfection” fan base. They talk big. And they fizzle out eventually.

I’ll bet this basketball team they’ve assembled will do pretty well by their standards. But have you seen their standards? No Final Fours. Ever. And they still won’t do that. And they may up their Sweet 16s to something more than once every 30 years. Good for them. But they’re not about to become “Duke of the west.” So everyone needs to chill.

Jim McMahon
        Participant

I’ve said this on here before but part of all our hype for basketball is partially to cover up for how mediocre our football team is going to be this year. It ain’t gonna be pretty. There is very little excitement on CB for football. I mean, of course we’re excited for the season, but mainly because we miss football. We’ll be lucky to win six games this year. So it’s easier to talk about basketball because we have some exciting thing to look forward to. AND our basketball recruiting is the best it’s ever been so we are legitimately excited about that.

But to be clear, no BYU fan is predicting a Final four. Let’s start with our 3rd ever Sweet 16 first, please. We suck so bad in the tourney every year. It’s the same thing any time we make it. I’m praying Kevin Young can bring a different mentality, but we have to get to the tourney first. We have a good team on paper, but we’ll see how we actually gel.

DrJazzy
          Participant

No lie – it’s awesome how y’all flipped the script in bball. Exciting times for you.

MDUte
          Participant

Yea I don’t believe the past is a predictor of things to come in the future. Kevin Young wasn’t part of the BYU program in the past and neither were all of these new recruits he’s brought in. This will be a whole new era of BYU basketball that I’ll judge based on how they actually perform. Maybe they’ll fizzle in the Tourney again and everyone will quickly say, “see, it’s just BYU doing BYU things in the Tourney”. But I, for one, give Kevin Young (and those who helped bring Kevin Young in) massive props. I never thought BYU would be able to recruit at this level…we’re talking strings of blue chip recruits that only blueblood schools typically have a shot at. This is the first time I’ve ever thought BYU could make a real deep run in the Tourney…the talent is definitely in place.

All that said, THANK HEAVENS this is all happening in MBB and NOT football! I can give BYU their due if it involves MBB. However, admittedly, this would be soul crushing to me if this was taking place in football. So let’s just make sure to keep things status quo with BYU football!!! Go Utes!!!

Utah
      Participant

That’s what is so great about BYU fans. They can create these scenarios where no matter what, they are right.

If we talk about winning the Big 12, we are delusional because we don’t know southern football and BYU went undefeated vs the worst P12 teams a few years ago and we have not real shot at winning it because we lost to Penn St and Ohio St after our starting QB went down.

AND, If we don’t win, well, we should be embarrassed because we didn’t win it all.

All the while they are missing bowl games as a football team.

To live in a reality like that. Must be nice.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.