Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Game-time weather

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Game-time weather

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      DataUte
      Participant

Forecast is for 100ºF high, which likely will be around game time. Even hotter on the field. Hope we have a strategy to keep the players cool, hydrated, and rotated (lines, WR running routes, etc.). Heat should take a little edge off the hometown crowd unless that stadium has a great water distribution system. Get a little lead and some will bail at half.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Players were cramping at USU. Just saying.

UtesRule
        Participant

Very common to see cramping through the first 3 games of the season while the players are still getting into game fitness.

Even in the Oklahoma heat that should start to decrease.

Rick Walker
      Participant

Hopefully we see our depth with skill positions help out in this game. If we could rotate guys in and out to give them breaks that could be a huge benefit to us, but only if we can do it without screwing up momentum.

Andylicious
      Participant

Hate to break it to you folks, but we live in 100 degree heat. It won’t slow the Poke fans down one bit.

DataUte
        Participant

I’ve lived in 100 degree heat, both humid and dry. I didn’t stay outside that long very often. It took resting through tv timeouts, quarters, halftime to raise the extra effort to keep cheering loudly. Not saying it can’t be done, but if we can get an edge and take some hope out of the hometown fans, that could help. Great stadium, great team, it’s going to be hard as it always is on the road against a ranked opponent. This is the hardest game of the season.

Rick Walker
        Participant

Utah fans live in 100 degree heat for a good portion of the year anyway. It’s the humidity that makes it problematic for people who are used to heat that’s so dry it makes your nose bleed.

10 1
      heatpoke
      Participant

Hello. heatpoke here. I’m an OSU fan here to talk to y’all about the heat.

Most if not all you Utes making the travel from the west will be ready for what you’re about to endure. It’s going to feel well over 100F and you’ll feel like the sun is beating on you. People will fall out in the stadium. It happens every year. Typically, it’s old people and opposing fans from areas that are not acclimated to the heat. If you plan on going to the game, prep the night before with good hydration and rest. Do the same in the morning and throughout the day. Ingest electrolytes every 4 water drinks or so. Wear sunscreen.

Your players are not going to be used it, but they will probably be fine because the medical staff will be prepared to help them. Field temps on hot days like Saturday approach 140F. So, trust me when I say they haven’t done this before. They will fall out with cramps and stop the game. After one too many Utes falling on the field like LeBron James getting his toe stepped on, the stadium will begin to boo. Don’t take it too heavy. It’s just the way it goes in the second half when the game is on the line.

As for me, I’m well acclimated to the heat. I’ll drink beer hours before the game and during the game and be just fine. Of course, I’ll sub a water here and there, but growing up here playing sports, working in the heat, and playing in the heat, I’ve just been fortunate. On the other hand, I fully expect my wife to complain about the heat. At that point, I’ll consider the score, our chances of winning, and see where or how leaving for the tailgate with her will score me points. If it’s a close game and she’s okay to make it back without medical assistance, I’m staying. If we win, it will be worth the scolding I will receive later.

Welcome to Stillwater. Come drink beer with us if you’re allowed to.

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

Managing the football/wife balance like a true fan… Welcome to the board.

heatpoke
          Participant

Last home game VS Arkansas I took my 3 year old. It was his first OSU game. He stayed all 4 quarters and never complained until he got hungry during the break before OT. Concessions were closed, so I made the quick, executive decision to pick him up and sprint to the tailgate where he snacked and we finished the game out with a win. I was very proud of him. It had been a hot day.

“Dad.. why are we going fast?” Lol

RedUte14
        Participant

we literally did it last year at Baylor. The players HAVE done this before.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.