Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

He Tried Not To Score

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football He Tried Not To Score

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      OldAsDirtUte
      Participant

belli1976
      Participant

That is high football IQ.

ProudUte
        Participant

Totally agree.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Whitt didn’t like it. Just score. If he got stripped or pushed out of bounds it defeats the purpose.

Xanthis
          Participant

Ganther didn’t like it. Whitt told him on the sideline he did good even though it wasn’t something they talked about. This is according to Glover in his post game interview.

Ute Dub
          Participant

And if he would have wasted one more second, there wouldn’t be that last play by Baylor in the endzone.

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

Well if the refs didn’t flag an inconsequential holding on Mokofisi there would have been even more time. Baylor wanted the ball. I think they all knew that. Whitt is just saying take the most points when you can.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Participant

It doesn’t matter if the foul was inconsequential. What matters is that it happened. It was the right call. The problem on that play wasn’t the refs. It was Mokofisi. Hopefully he learns from it.

EagleMountainUte
                Participant

You could call holding on most downs. It isn’t flagged because sometimes it has nothing to do with the play. JJ was five yards away from that hold. You saw how silly it was when the stupid officials had to review where it even occurred.
                Coaches probably told Mokofisi good job and don’t let it bother you.

NarfUte
      Participant

Watch at his feet and at the field level during this sideline recap – The amount of heat distortion is crazy

utahwingman
        Participant

At one of point of the game, one of our player threw a piece of garbage to the sideline. Someone picked it up and held it to show the people on the sideline. It was the sole from a shoe, it completely came off.

utefansince79
      Participant

I thought perhaps he was trying to take as many ticks off the clock as possible before scoring as even a PAT distance field goal can fail. Then the Bear defender deliberately shoved him over the goal line.

Unusual situation.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

Look at what happened when Baylor got the ball back. They almost had enough time. Baylor wanted Utah to score on the previous down.

DataUte
          Participant

Our luck is Glover goes down at the 1, we have a false start, unsportsmanlike conduct, then holding, then miss the FG. JK

fosternano
          Participant

Yeah, if you watch the replay, Baylors defenders let him through to score so the offense could get one last chance.

Utah
        Participant

Remember the Super Bowl? Philly tried to let KC score. KC’s back had a wide open lane to the endzone and sat down. Philly tried to grab him and throw him into the endzone. I say score. Make them go 75 yards in less than a minute, but I don’t trust our kicker yet.

KC didn’t score, didn’t give Philly a chance to win. Both strategies are good ones, if you ask me.

I like the “bleed as much time as you can then score” strategy better.

DataUte
      Participant

Whitt said if you are up by 1, you kneel. If you are tied, you score. I think it still was a heads up, well taught play to even think about the choice – punch it in, burn time, or even kneel to bleed the clock to 3 seconds and kick the FG. That shows the savvy and coaching.

I also give credit to the Baylor player, knowing if he keeps him out, the clock runs so might as well push him in and see if they can do something on offense (which they nearly did!).

concerned
      Participant

Green Bay did the same thing in the 1998 (?) super bowl against Denver. Purposely let Denver score as time was winding down to get the ball back, but wasn’t able to do anything after Denver scored.

UteDuke
      Participant

Watch the 2020 Penn State vs. Indiana game if you need a reason to respect Glover’s decision. The resulting upset is what pushed Michael Penix Jr. into the national spotlight.

Utesbyfive
      Participant

If you watch the Ganther & Glover interviews from this weeks press availability, you will understand a couple things. Glover was pulling something he’s done in Madden to kill clock time. Ganther was p**sed, and gave him an earful, but then said it was the smartest dumb thing he ever did. Lol.

utefansince79
      Participant

I’ve tried the same trick in EA College Football a few times myself.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.