Next:
Utah @  Houston
ESPN+

Head Coach Kyle Whittingham Utah Football Press Conference – 10.21.24

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Head Coach Kyle Whittingham Utah Football Press Conference – 10.21.24

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

Sure doesn’t sound like a guy prepping to retire at the end of the season. As I said before many times, it’s hard to walk away from a guaranteed $20M+. If I were a betting man, I’d bet that Whitt sees out the remaining portion of his contract and don’t even begin to discount the possibility of an extension.

DataUte
      Participant

Even after he steps down, he has a 5-year agreement to be a special assistant to the AD for just under $1M/yr (and $1.5M upon announcing his retirement).

The Miami Ute
        Participant

I did some research and Whitt’s latest extension, which happened in 2022, has a lot of quirks. For example, it includes promises of free tuition for his grandchildren, a $1 million lump sum retirement payment, and a 5-year, $995,000 per year contract to serve as special assistant to the AD when he hangs up his whistle.

4 6
          UtMtBiker
          Participant

Ridiculous. So tax payers get to fund a multi millionaires gaggle of grandchildren because he coached football. This sit shouldn’t happen at public schools. A lot of other kids could use that money in scholarships. Shameful

EagleMountainUte
            Participant

It is pretty cute you get all morally outraged as if you didn’t know that when you get high enough and specialized enough you get special favors.
            Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

pedro
            Participant

How much are you paying in season tickets? If you feel so strongly, why aren’t you taking that money and whatever you pay for TV and donate it to the state or school district of your choice?

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Fixed your video so it isn’t a link and plays in the site.

highlandute7
      Participant

So if he stays on through at least next year, who is it that will have ultimate say in the new OC? I would doubt it would be the current interim OC and seems odd if Whitt does the hiring if he could step down in the following year or so then you could potentially have to start over if Scalley wants to bring in someone else.

Or would Whitt allow Morgan to hire the OC? That would also be odd given Morgan wouldn’t be the HC.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

that’s an excellent question. what OC worth his salt would be willing to come in on a potential 1 year make good deal? Unless Whitt commits to coaching out his current contract, someone signing a 3 year deal that could be rescinded at any time for reasons other than performance would be tough.

Essentially, you’ve now created the same situation for coaches that was created with Rising coming back.

pedro
        Participant

If he’s letting the temp OC call all the plays without him interfering, why would he in choosing a new OC?

TruckStopTerrors
      Participant

I will personally be happy if he doesn’t retire. I don’t think the game has passed him by. I hope the NIL money freed up through Cam and Kuithe is again put forth by those that contributed and we’re able to bring in more talent.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.