Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Help Me Obi Wan Taylor, You’re My Only Hope

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Help Me Obi Wan Taylor, You’re My Only Hope

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      FtheY
      Participant

Let’s score some friggin points this year. 

Misdirection, red zone efficiency, quick passes, trick plays, funky formations. Let’s see it all. 

We are a long ways away from a surgical passing game, but let’s see what we can do. 

I’m so excited to see something new. I’m still cautiously optimistic and picking 8-4. 

Utah
      Participant

I don’t know if this is a sign of Taylor’s intelligence of Whitt’s meddling, but in an interview a couple of days ago, Taylor said that his job is to be explosive and score points. He was asked about the passing game and how much he wanted to throw the ball. He said something to the effect of, “it will change game to game. Some games we will pass a lot more than throw, some games we will run more. Do I have a goal of 50 passes or 60 runs a game? No, I have a goal to score points. Some teams we will throw it more, some teams we will run it more. We will look at matchups and make our plan.”

Me, I like hearing that. I think we open it up through the air against our first four opponents (ND, BYU, SJSU and Arizona). Then, I think we go a lot more conservative vs Stanford and their secondary (which may be the best in the country) and USC (to limit time for Darnold on the field). I’d bet we’d air it out more vs ASU, Oregon, WSU and Colorado. 

It will be fun if we could have an average offense, ie, when we play Oregon and Cal, we score 35+ points like every other freaking team in the world. 

Anonymous
        Participant

Exactly. Being “fluid” and dynamic are important. Sometimes you take what the defense gives you. Sometimes you ram it down their throat and dictate — make them react to you. Sometimes you beat them; and, other times, you want to destroy their spirit. Either way, just win.

Go Utes!

Tony (admin)
        Keymaster

Maybe I missed the memo, but what’s the difference between passing and throwing?

FtheY
        Participant

I like this too. Makes us less predictable and harder to plan for. 

ironman1315
      Participant

This conversation is interesting since some others (not Utah fans) are saying not having a defined run pass ratio goal is negligence on Taylor’s part.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.