Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Help Me Understand the Call

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Help Me Understand the Call

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

4th and 1 at the Oregon 27. Whitt (feeling the Hubris of past success on 4th downs) decides to go for it. TWII is staring at 8 or 9 in the box, essentially a goal line stand. They run behind right tackle and fail.

My first reaction before the play was to call an audible and rush around either edge with arguably the quickest back in the Conference. If not that, then a quick slant pass. Instead, we do the same old that other teams have seen time and again on film and they’re prepared for it. Is there any room for flexibility in this offense? Can they adjust on the fly to what the defense is giving them?

SMH

Tacoma Ute
      Participant

No. We can’t. 🙁

Ute Bc
      Participant

It really is baffling.  Go up to the line and run it up the gut with 10 guys in the box.  EVERY SINGLE GAME

UteBacker

I think Troy is handcuffed.  Unless I’m missing something, he isn’t allowed to call an audible…correct?

Ute Bc
        Participant

If that’s the case then use a damn timeout.  

AZUTE
      Participant

Whit is the Jerry Sloan of college football coaches. He believes it’s all about execution and if Utah executes properly it doesn’t matter how many they stack in the box.

Everyone knew the Stockton and Malone pick and roll was coming and for a decade it work. Except for those few times in the championship it didn’t and it was all about execution.

Whit will never deviate from this mentality so get used to it

Utahute72
      Participant

Oregon was stacking the box most of the day, that’s why people calling for us to run it more are wrong. I think they should have run a slant or out in that case, go where the linebacker were vacating. The whole sequence of play calling has been inconsistent all year.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I agree, they were stacking the box most of the game and that’s where you need an indecisive, accurate QB who can get the ball out fast and make them pay. Troy Williams hangs onto the ball waaaaay too long. He does make some good throws, but there are plenty of head scratchers. Also, it’s pretty clear that he doesn’t audible, as you just need to look at that giant pacificier he has in his mouth.

Anonymous
        Inactive

They stacked it on the last possession and Joe was getting five yards. Who cares sometimes when it works. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

But Joe Willie is horrible when it comes to yards after contact 😉

bopahull
      Participant

In an interview earlier in the season TW was asked about audibles. He said he doesn’t because they need to run the play that is called. I think that means he isn’t allowed to audible. I think the real problem lately has been how poorly the defense has played. All they had to do was keep Oregon out of the endzone from 75 yards away for 2 minutes and 8 seconds. It hurts to see the terrible tackling from so many players, and for a school that has produced so many good to great LBs, I have been disappointed in their lack of progress.

The once great Utah defense no longer uses sound fundamentals. The coaches need to be blamed for that.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.