Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

How far can we go if…

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How far can we go if…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      DrahtUte
      Participant

Cam never makes it back this season and we go with Nate Johnson primarily handing it off and running options with opportunistic passes to keep the defense honest?

With how good it looks like JJ and our defense are going to be, I think we could still win a lot of games and compete for the conference championship going this route. JJ looks like he can carry the offense and Nate looks like he can do just enough with his arm to win if the Utes have an elite defense – and it seems like they might have one.

6 9
      Larry B
      Participant

5-7 or maybe 6-6. The conference is too loaded for that scenario to do much better.

6 2
        alUmnUs
        Participant

So you’re saying this league is going to run roughshod over Utah? There’s still a thing called defense Larry, and Utah has the best one in the league, 3-deep, by far and it’s not close. In two wins, Utah has given up two touchdowns to two P5s that would also wreak havoc in the PAC12.

The league will be a bloodbath. Placement in the CCG will come down to winning key games and what all the other teams do to a level unseen in this league. We thought last year’s tie-breaker was crazy? Buckle-up.

I will not be surprised if the top two teams have at least 3 losses going into CCG. I think whichever teams wins the regular season will have at least 2 losses – best case.

To get to the CCG I think Utah will need to split OSU/Wash and not lose at Arizona. Keep the streak at RES intact. That can happen with NJ and a healthy defense.

2 3
          The Miami Ute
          Participant

I sincerely doubt that either Florida or Baylor would “wreak havoc” on the PAC 12, if that’s what you’re insinuating. Both those teams ended with losing records last year and, while having some talent, look well on their way to another losing season this year. You’re right in saying that Utah has a nasty defense and that defense is the main reason why the team in 2-0. That being said, Utah has not played a high powered offense as of yet. UCLA with Dante Moore will be a test but the real exam will be the following week against the Beavers at Reser. If Utah is 5-0 after those two contests, we might be on to something.

1 1
            alUmnUs
            Participant

Did you sincerely think Oregon was going to get tested down to the wire by a Texas Tech team with a former Oregon QB that lost to Wyoming? I mean Arizona can wreak havoc in the league this year and they’re probably the 9th best team.

If everyone wants to hit the panic button because there’s little separation in this league like never before, then fine. But everyone knew the opening two games were going to be tough and many reasoned that even with a healthy Cam, 1-1 wouldn’t be out of the question. I mean, how long had it been since Utah had won an OOC P5 game? So now the Utes are 2-0 on the shoulders of the bench, good defense, yet the sky is falling and Utah is going to post their worst year since joining the PAC? Come on.

Where do we get so anxious we forget nobody in this league is going to have a clear path this year? For hellsakes Utah has won 26 of last 27 in SLC!

When is the last time Utah started 5-0? Sheesh.

3 1
          ProudUte
          Participant

I have now watched every team play. Yes, OSU and the Utes are the top defensive teams. But, without an offense, we aren’t winning this conference. If Cam comes back – we will be a much better team (assuming we see the complete Cam Rising). However, without Kutihe – I don’t think Cam can get it done. That’s just one guy’s opinion.

With Rising and Kuithe both playing at a high level – a three-peat is a possibility even in a very tough conference.

5 5
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

Look at the schedule (seven of our next 10 games are against opponents that are currently ranked – a few of them against teams that have future 1st RD NFL draft picks at QB) and see where we could pick up quick wins. You’re not going to find many games where you can win by being one-dimensional. If Utah is limited for the rest of the season to strictly running RPOs, giving the ball to JJ, and relying on the defense, the only safe wins I see are maybe against Cal and ASU. Then again, Cal looked pretty good against Auburn (their defense is nails) and could give Utah a scare. You’re not going to beat USC, Oregon, UW, OSU, or UCLA running a simple offense and hoping that the defense gets 3-5 turnovers a game.

DataUte
      Participant

Depends on other players too. Get everyone else back (esp. Defense) but not Cam (and I’ll also leave Kuithe off) and ceiling is 9-3. Probably 7 or 8 wins. I think NJ can develop more, make plays that give coaches confidence to open it up a little more, …

9 1
      Utesbyfive
      Participant

Nate Johnson was a 4* recruit. I think we’d do way better than any of you pessimists think we would

Utegator
        Participant

I was really impressed with some of those throws from NJ late in that game.

1 1
      belli1976
      Participant

NJ seems to be at a similar level of development as Snoop in 2017. He has the confidence, perhaps over confidence that he wants the ball in his hands all the time. Even if the RB had a better whole.

I think this will be a tough year if Cam doesn’t come back. 7-8 wins.

1 5
      Caliman
      Participant

If CR is out for the season, and Barns bounces back from a single bad game, Utah goes 10-2, maybe even 11-1. TRIFECTA P12 CHAMPS FO SURE!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.