Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

How realistic is it to expect a college QB to survey all of their options

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How realistic is it to expect a college QB to survey all of their options

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      chinngiskhaan
      Participant

and throw to the best option?

It seems to me that College QBs routinely miss the most open guy on the field. I assume this is because they know where they are going with the ball before the play starts and who their backup option is if option A doesn’t work out and option C is run/throw away.

Do most QBs even attempt to look at all their options before throwing? It seems like that only happens when plays are broken, and there is a substantial amount of running around.

Someone with more experience tell me if I’m off track.

RedUte14
      Participant

i feel like this is what makes a average QB from a great QB.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

College O-Lines can’t be counted on to provide 3 or more seconds consistently in pass pro so college QB’s have no choice but to be one-read. OC’s help them out with formation shifts and motion to narrow down their potential targets pre-snap but for the most part it’s what you asked: option A, checkdown, make something happen with your feet.

I saw a stat last year that QB’s were completing ~ 20% higher when getting rid of the ball in under two seconds. A good chunk of that is the high percentage quick throws and screen game. Yet it also helps to keep your QB, who has about a third of the prep time every week when compared to a pro QB, from getting overwhelmed.

mfaulk80
      Participant

Nobody looks at all of their options and then chooses the best one. You have certain reads and certain timings/windows. As you’re making those reads, you have to be ready to pull the trigger if you think you can make the pass. Otherwise, that window closes. A good QB is going to be reading the defense even pre-snap to get an idea of which players may be open, and they may filter out certain players in certain coverages….but they’re not surveying every receiver before they make a decision. Not only do they likely not have time, but offenses aren’t set up like that.

22Ute22
      Participant

I’m not an X’s and O’s guy by any means, but I think this just comes down to film review, in game experience, presnap motions, and the skill of the QB themselves.

When you have a presnap motion that forces the defense to change, that will probably tell the QB which side of the field or which player will be the most likely to be open. If that player is not open, then it’s probably a check down or extending the play with a scramble or rollout. Additionally, one of your players might be covered, but the QB trusts in himself to put the ball in a great spot and also trusts in his player to make the catch. But most QB’s aren’t checking 3-4 options on every play. The defensive line will probably break through by then.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.