Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

Huck it! Chuk it! F%^$ it! Football

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Huck it! Chuk it! F%^$ it! Football

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Hellhound152
      Participant

Yesterday didn’t concern me all that much. Over the years Utah has consistently had one of the best Defenses nationally. However, usually once a season there seems to be a game that is an outlier. The common denominator in these games (UCLA 2017, USC 2019, and others including yesterday) seems to be back-up qb/starter with a looooong leash, making ill advised throws in a total departure from offensive structure shown on tape. Basically BB yesterday.

Point being, yesterday could not have gone better for this team from a value standpoint. The young db’s were challenged repeatedly with 50/50 balls and faced a QB who was “breaking the rules” making ill advised throws against solid coverage. The USU RB was good enough to make the D pay if they didn’t run fit properly or tackle well. On offense, we finally saw what the coaches had in Isaac Wilson yesterday and the rest of the team started to believe, and it showed with some of the balls they were catching for him. Honestly, I even loved the pick he threw because it was a confidence pick.

This was the best tune-up the team could hope for. Way more valuable than a 42-10 blowout with no adversity.

GreatNorthernUte
      Participant

Great post. The team has been tested twice heading into Oklahoma State. I agree it will pay dividends mentally.

2 1
      Ute Dub
      Participant

I’m worried about our star LB’er coming off a serious foot injury not being able to explode to the gap or from side to side. He seems a half step slow. Amirite?

HeyyyUguyyys
      Participant

This 👆🏻. Could not have said it better myself. Adversity is invaluable for the growth of a team. The stats on the defensive end are somewhat deceiving. Especially with pass yards. Bryson was throwing the ball with zero conscience. Credit to their receivers, but if balls are being thrown into almost non existent windows and highlight reel catches are needed for most of their chunk plays I can live with that. It’s great to see guys like Calhoun, Hall, and Snowden start to make meaningful contributions. If you aren’t excited about Wilson’s future now I don’t think you were paying attention. He made some big boy throws.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

Except USU had some receivers that were wide open on several occasions. That’s a concern.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Totally agree…if it wasn’t for Barnes air mailing some of his throws…well…

Hellhound152
        Participant

I get you Tony, but think back, has there ever been a time in the last 20 years that it wasn’t the case the opponent had guys running free with a step or more only to watch the ball fall harmlessly to the turf? When you run man free it is a byproduct. But something must be going right on the front end to cause it. Accumulation of hits, pressure, moving off the launch point, ghosts? Point being it was no better or worse than normal.

pedro
        Participant

That’s directly due to the give and take nature of our D. We pressured Barnes a ton, when you do that, WR will be open somewhere on the field. The idea being that if you get to the QB bf he can get rid of the ball, it won’t matter who is open. Works a lot of the time, but not every time.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.