Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Huntley

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Utahute72
      Participant

The growth in Huntley over last year is obvious, but the one thing that I picked out as a negative is how slow he is to recognize the open man.  There was 5-6 plays that if he makes the throw more on time he has an easy completion and a big gain.

Anonymous
      Inactive

He’s still slow on his reads, and he throws some highly questionable balls. 

Minneapolitan_Ute
      Participant

It does seem like he sees the open man just as the defense also notices it which gives the defense time to converge and break up or pick off the pass. Gotta be quicker.

Utahute72
      Participant

One issue with what appear to be questionable throws is the reaction of the receiver. One play in particular I noticed, I think it was Simpkins, is running a deep corner route. The defender is playing inside position and Huntley puts the ball on the outside, right where it should be. Simpkins turns inside and therefore has to turn all the way around and the result is an incompletion. Simpkins has to “feel” the position of the defender and trust Huntley will get the ball in the right spot. If he initially turns to the outside he has an easy catch and a big play.

crazyute
      Participant

Simpkins and Nacua need to catch the damn ball when it hits their hands

Utahute72
        Participant

I can’t think of a single receiver that didn’t have at least one drop.  While that can happen, it’s an area of concern if not cleaned up.

Duhwayne
      Participant

A couple of Nacua’s passes bounced off his chest plate, lol.

tarheelute
      Participant

Pros and Cons
      Pro: Hit every open receiver targeted.
      Pro: Good cadence, communication – no penalties at the line.
      Con: Needed a lot of help from the receivers when they were covered, on the out routs.
      Con: Not great outing, passing on the run. Creative, with Weber pressure, but helped greatly by Mariner and Covey, coming back to the QB.
      Con: Decision Making – OK. He saw the need to adapt, lowering his velocity, however overdid it on the near interception. Force some of his throws; held my breath, thinking interception.
      Pro: Quickly picked up on Mariner and Enis. Too bad he didn’t have the opportunity to exploit the partnerships – next week!!

Overall: Patient, for the most part, maintained composure, confidence (did not give up on a pass), demonstrated adaptability, improvement over the game. Flashes of really good stuff, that with some consistency, he certainly has the chance to live up to or exceed higher expectations.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.