Next:
TCU @  Utah
ESPN

I am a football fan first

Donate in the 2024 Fundraiser! Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I am a football fan first

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

There was a time back in the day that I enjoyed college/NBA basketball and major league baseball. I have never been much of a hockey or soccer fan. I watch golf if Tony Finau is in the mix.

In the end, for me it’s college football, local high school football, some NFL (mostly former Utes). After that, I have not watched a total of 10 hours of sports (excluding Tony) in the last year. 50 years ago, I would listen to or watch 5 hours a day. 🙂

I will likely watch 10-15 hours of the Olympics starting this weekend. I spend that much time watching football in any week during the football season.

How about you guys – what other sports do you watch religiously?

UTEopia
      Participant

I watch Utah basketball and enjoy the Utah olympic and women’s sports. I got into soccer on an LDS mission to Spain in the 70’s and enjoy RSL and Euro Champions League and European Cup. Spain won again this year, so that was great for me. I like playoff hockey. I might turn on an NFL game if a former Ute is playing, but other than the playoffs, that is about it.

UteManX
        Participant

In order.

Utah football
        Tottenham Hotspur (salt lake spurs!)
        England men
        Utah basketball
        England women
        Utah women’s soccer
        Montana Griz football

I dislike more nfl and nba teams than I like but always enjoy watching former Utes.

Utegator
      Participant

I’m with you Proudute. I’m honestly too busy these days and all I really watch is Ute football. I’ve recently pulled out of my fantasy leagues.

ryynoo
      Participant

Utes (Football), Mariners, Sounders, Ballard FC, Kraken, Seahawks, Euros, COPA, World Cup, Winter Olympics, Summer Olympics. Life is too short to chose one sport.

AlohaUte
      Participant

1. Utah football

2. MLB

3. College Football

Every thing else I casually follow.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

1. Utah football
      2. Utah lacrosse
      3. Philadelphia Eagles
      4. Philadelphia Flyers
      5. Olympic judo

Uteanooga
      Participant

Utah football
      USMNT soccer (painful- so long Greg)
      Some NFL
      Everything else is some casual attention but not much

ALUF
      Participant

Utah football, Utah Jazz and now Utah HC

CB
      Participant

Only Utah Football, and college football in general. Don’t care for any basketball, especially NBA 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Will occasionally watch some NFL

Yergensen
      Participant

1) Utah Football
      2) Raiders Football
      3) PGA Golf
      4) AC Milan Soccer

enigami344
        Participant

For me:

1a. Utah football
        1b. Inter Milan

I guess we can’t be friends 😉

Yergensen
          Participant

Nice! How far back do your Interista roots go? My AC Milan fandom goes back to 1992, but I’m not too serious about it. We can be friends except for during the derby.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

Utah football
      College football
      NFL
      Utah basketball
      NBA
      PGA golf
      Baseball (very little)
      Yes I’m retired and a sports addict. Could be worse being addicted to home improvement and mini series.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I only watch Utah football religiously. I watch the Bills if they’re on TV and I have time. Like you, I used to watch the NBA and MLB. Specifically, the Jazz and the Yankees, but I would watch anything that was on. As I got older and started my career and family, I didn’t have time for everything, so I just gravitated to Utah football and the Bills. Football has always been my favorite sport, so I naturally went with them.

UteThunder
      Participant

Football: Utah Football specifically, but I love college football. I’m hoping the NIL, revenue sharing, and transfer portal don’t ruin these things for me. NFL, I watch some every week, but it’s not on the same level as my college interest.

Basketball: The NBA died for me in the early 2000s as the Jordan generation all retired. College basketball can pique my interest for a big game here or there.

Baseball: MLB died for me with the ’94 strike. McGwire and Sosa drew me back in for the homerun record chase, but that was short lived. Now my only interest is going to a Bees game every few years or so.

Hahnenwk
        Participant

Growing up in NYC in 50’s and 60’s I was big into pro sports Giants, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and any soccer I could watch. Became a teacher and moved upstate and I became a coach of soccer (school and youth) and skiing (alpine and Nordic) and viewing waned except for MLB always a Giant fan and college hockey. Retiring to Utah I’ve become a diehard Ute fan, football, season tickets to m and w basketball, gymnastics and volleyball. Was a big RSL fan but Ticketmaster and Apple TV ruined that. Always watch summer and Winter Olympics. I’ve been to more soccer games in more countries than 99% of Utahns.

AlohaUte
        Participant

Makes sad to hear about Baseball. It’s such a great game. But ive met a bunch who said the same about the strike. And today the game may be better than ever. So many amazing players. And even though I despise the Dodgers, Shoehei Ohtani may be the greatest player ever and he’s a treat to watch.

GameForAnyFuss
      Participant

I like and will watch any and every sport except baseball and golf.

DUte
      Participant

1. Utah Football
      2. College Football
      3. College Wrestling
      4. Repeat 1-3

Brettski
      Participant

Nothing religiously. With little kids I sometimes end up watching Utah football games on my phone but definitely not alone in the basement like I’d want to haha.

I follow college football and nothing else unless it’s an interesting playoff series. NBA is pretty much dead to me which is sad because I grew up on Stockton to Malone.

Utah
      Participant

I watch all Utah football games.
      I have watched every Phillies and Eagles games for as long as I remember. But, I do have two tv’s in my living room, so some days the Phillies game is on above the fireplace and muted while we watch something on the “real” tv or read a book. Or, if I can’t watch a Phillies game, I’ll have it on the radio.
      And I watch most Sixers games.

That’s it. I don’t really watch anything else…although that is a lot of sports.

12PAC
      Participant

1. Broncos/NFL Football
      2. Utes/College Football
      3. Giants/MLB
      4. Utah HC/NHL
      5. Olympics

dwainegf
      Participant

Season Tickets to Utah Football, Basketball,(men and women) and Gymnastics. I watch the football team, men’s basketball and gymnastics live or on the DVR during games I don’t attend. Washington Commanders, Montana State Men’s basketball and football whenever possible. NHL playoffs especially if thew Capitals are playing, MLB playoffs if the Dodgers are playing and a fair amount of Jazz games. I also watch the Olympics both summer and winter. and some other college football and men’s basketball games.

OmahaOmaha
      Participant

Between college football and college baseball I probably watch close to 100 games a year. When in season they’re on almost all the time even as background noise. Also attend most Utah men’s basketball, ladies basketball & softball games. Watch some PGA and LPGA. Mavs basketball especially during playoff season. Plan to watch Utah Hockey most games. Don’t watch a lot of NFL or MLB unless there’s a special player like Dalton Kincaid or Bryce Harper playing. Trying to understand rugby and college lacrosse better so will stop down for that as well.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

1. Real Madrid
      2. Spain MNT
      3. Miami Dolphins
      4. Utah Utes FB – Miami Hurricanes FB
      5. Florida Panthers
      6. Utah Utes MBB
      7. Red Rocks Gymnastics
      8. Utah Hockey Club
      9. Spain WNT

I live in Utah but my mind is in Madrid most days. I follow all of the above teams religiously and have season tickets for all the Utah teams mentioned.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

Utah Football games and some other CFB.
      I’ll watch NFL on quiet Sundays once in a while but other than following former Utes not really interested.

Other than that sports suck anymore.

I loved the NBA from the 80s/90s so so much. Cannot stomach a game now. Get comped Jazz tickets once or twice a year and go for the free stuff and still can’t watch it. Loved college basketball too until 1 and done became a thing. Went up to the NIT games this year…it’s tragic the state of college basketball. Loved 90s tennis during the age of Sampras Agassi Courier Chang etc. but lost interest after the USTA pushed women’s tennis b/c of the Williams sisters and we had 20 years of Fed/Nadal/Joker. Used to tangentially follow sports via ESPN Sports Center but they make sports worse now maybe some because of $$ but also a lot because of politics.

MDUte
        Participant

Right there with you @CityCreekUte! Basketball was my life growing up in the 80s/90s. But the way the game changed after the Jordan era, I haven’t been able to watch 30 seconds of a game before needing to change the channel. The NBA is total garbage. I can’t remember the last game I even watched. But I much prefer watching College WBB to the NBA and it’s not even close. Seeing teams chuck up 60 3s a game, including their 7’ big men is simply unwatchable trash.

For me, it’s Utah Football and only Utah Football. Unfortunately I still didn’t really tune into Football when McBride turned the program around. I was completely enamored with MBB and the Majerus years as well as the Stockton/Malone Jazz era. But then Urban Meyer came along and opened my eyes to football and I was hooked! And so glad I finally saw the light given what happened to the game of basketball. I have always enjoyed the individual sports of Tennis and Golf. But nothing comes close to Utah Football. All of these guys who become billionaires and want to own professional sports teams wouldn’t be of interest at all if I were in their shoes. I’d want to do what Uncle Phil is doing and provide all of the resources and support needed to lift Utah Football to blue blood status. If Utah Football had $1B invested into the program like Oregon has had, Utah would consistently have Top 5 recruiting classes and win multiple national championships. I still hold onto hope that Utah will get there in spite of not having our own Uncle Phil. But it’s a long shot given how unfair of a fight we are fighting, against all of the blue blood schools and their war chests of money.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.