Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

I am over Friday’s loss but the future concerns me

Welcome Cowboy Fans Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I am over Friday’s loss but the future concerns me

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      12 1
      ProudUte
      Participant

Losses happen and we lost to a good OSU team on the road. I have left that game behind me.

However, the future worries me. Our offense is terrible. Heck, we were better when a non-recruited QB named Hayes was leading our depleted offense a decade ago. There is plenty of blame out there and it has been discussed on this board plenty. In the end – our coaching staff needs to be creative. I liked the one run Vaki made Friday. We need more of that kind of thing.

Our current offense will not lead us to many more wins. There is no way we can beat Oregon, USC, or Wahington. There are no guaranteed wins either. A great coach will take the athletes he has and make something happen.

I highly doubt that we will be winning the PAC12 championship and I am okay with that. But, I would like to see us improve and win 4 more games.

Go Utes!!!

Utah5410
      Participant

Friday’s loss wasn’t that bad. IMO. Considering how terrible our O has been. I think we handled it pretty well. That being said I’ve been an optimist. Trusting Whit, none of that changes, But, CAL is the game. If CR doesn’t play baring some real set back that she should be made aware of. Then they lied to Whit and he needs to say peace to CR.

Brettski
        Participant

I agree if cam doesn’t play vs Cal he’s going to be done in the eyes it Utah fans

3 2
        RedRocks
        Participant

“I think we handled it pretty well.”

The offense scored what was effectively a garbage-time touchdown. I don’t think that is handling it pretty well.

The defense is great. I wish people would stop making excuses about the offense.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

It was a garbage time touchdown by any definition. 3 scores down in the 4th quarter? There isn’t a Utah fan in existence that wouldn’t consider that garbage time if the roles were reversed.

Charlie
      Participant

Let me explain why I resist panic about the football team. I grew up in Provo and watched closely the BYU program from the 50s on in a big part because many of my family are fans of their program. I watched the Y achieve success beyond what became my choice at the U. Through all that success and with a very good coach, the Y fans struggled mightily every time the team took a step back. It did not matter how well they were doing, didn’t matter that they were still ranked, any loss especially the first loss of the season or a bowl loss, a large part of the fan base were despondent. Even at the height of success many questioned coach Edwards and thought they could do better. From the perspective of a fan hopping to match their success, it was always difficult for me to understand. Dew to that experience, I will probably be more near the end of the line looking to complain about a step back in football success or get frustrated by successful coaches. As a result, I may become less analytical about steps back in the football program but I really, really want to stay away from that behavior I saw in Y fans.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

Fan expectations create more unhappiness than bad performances. Let me try a hypothetical: Utah is still coming off back to back 9-3 seasons but because of the way the league was structured, they missed out on the conference championship game and the Rose Bowls. Still great seasons, but not knocking on the playoff door type seasons. Then let’s add that in April we get updates saying that the earliest Rising will be back is after the bye week and Kuithe later than that at best.

We would still be having the same conversations about poor offense at this point. We would still be hoping that Rising can be cleared for CAL and that he might provide the spark necessary to get the offense going. We would still be ecstatic about how the D has played. Some of us would still be saying that it would have been nice to have another option in the QB room based off of what we’ve seen so far. We might even be more accepting of some reps going to Rising as he builds himself back up to starter shape as opposed to wondering why week after week he is getting those reps when he has not been cleared to play in a game.

So what’s the difference? The fan expectations driven by Whitt, “insiders” and our own hope for the best possible outcome told us that this was a team capable of making the playoffs this year. And they might still be able to do that. But having the knowledge that it might be a struggle for the first part of the season would have tempered expectations to the point where 4-1 with a Friday Night road loss to a ranked team (90% probability by the way no matter who you are) would have been cause for near universal elation from the fanbase.

You just can’t tell people that this is the best and deepest team you’ve ever had and then expect them to not remember that when you struggle to meet the expectations you yourself have set.

Roy Rangum
      Participant

I don’t think we need Cam to beat Cal, so if there’s any question in Cams mind as to if he’s ready, I’m fine if he sits that one. But, we definitely need Cam to beat USC, and I imagine if he’s going to play at all this year then that is when he’ll be most hard pressed to start playing.

RedRocks
        Participant

I was going to say that it would be terrible for Cam’s first game back to be against a good team like USC. Then I remembered that USC’s defense sucks… so… maybe?

Utesbyfive
        Participant

If he has any hope of playing well against SC, he needs to play in the Cal game and knock off the rust.

D T
          Participant

Bingo

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.