Next:
Utah @  Oklahoma State
Fox

I miss getting meaningful updates from camp.

Welcome Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I miss getting meaningful updates from camp.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ProudUte
      Participant

I understand that Whitt is very secretive and I understand why (kind of). But, as a fan of the Utes – I want to know more. But, we get virtually nothing. Whitt tells his assistants to be very vague. I can get a better update by asking AI.

I listened to a handful of interviews from coaches and players this morning. I got virtually nothing. The closest thing I heard to anything meaningful is when Bernard suggested that Ludwig has implemented some new plays to be able to get our new receivers more involved.

On a side note, OC from ESPN700 spent 3o minutes yesterday explaining why the Utes (under Whittingham) will never pass more than run. He is a former player, but I think he is wrong on this one. We have the talent at QB, WR, TE, and RB to throw much more than we ever have. With an experienced QB and very talented receivers – this is the year where we should pass more IMO. I don’t expect that we will be throwing a lot of 40 yards passes. I just expect us to throw more often than Whitt has ever done.

Central Coast Ute
      Participant

Agreed on the updates from camp. I think Scalley will be more liberal with the media. At least, I hope he will.
      I didn’t listen to what OC said, but i honestly don’t think the Utes will pass much more than they run. They may come out throwing the ball around, but if the Utes get a big lead, my bet is Whitt shuts it down and grinds out the clock in the second half. The numbers at the end of the game will be closer to 50/50. I hope you are right, though. I’d love to see the Utes pile it on all inflate the numbers for Cam and the receivers. I just have to see it before I believe it.

ProudUte
        Participant

CC, I agree with you. When we get a lead, Whitt will slow things down and just try keep the football and run the clock out. So, yes, the stats in the end will likely show that we run a bit more than pass (assuming we get big leads). However, when the game is in question, I suspect we will pass more than Whitt has ever done.

HATUman
        Participant

I just hope he doesn’t pull another stunt like he did against Washington when he had the game and blew it. He knew it too. Sometimes it’s better just to step on their throat and break their spirits… looks better nationally too, but Whitt is just too damned classy.

Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

The thing about Whitt’s oh-fence-ive philosophy is that it is a supposed to be “balanced” approach. He wants opposing defenses to have to defend pass and run to keep them honest. I could see him going from 55/45 run/pass to maybe 45/55, but I don’t see us passing a huge percentage compared to rushing. We’ll see soon though.

High Uintas
      Participant

I’m wondering if the scarcity of information is creating an echo chamber situation among fans. When all we get is a smattering of second and third hand information, that contains very few critical observations, we start repeating and recycling them among ourselves. This could easily result in fans getting overly optimistic since we can’t see it with our own eyes or even the eyes of the people we trust. Or maybe we just really are that good.

Onlyu
        Participant

My best guess as of this week. Things could change throughout camp.

Rising/Rose
        Bernard/Mitchell
        Kuithe/Bentley
        Singer/Pittman/Parks
        Lomu
        Togiai
        Kump
        Moko
        Fano

O’Toole
        Tanuvasa
        Tafuna
        Fillinger
        Barton
        Reid
        Snowden
        Tao
        Ritchie
        Vaughn
        Kenan

3 1
          ProudUte
          Participant

Interesting, especially at QB. Does this mean that they just want to redshirt Wilson?

It is also interesting that Alford didn’t make your top 3 receivers. But, a team will typically utilize 5-6 WRs.

OnlyU, Ar you sticking with your prediction that we become more of a passing team?

Onlyu
            Participant

Yes…55/45 pass. They want that higher but we’ll see if it actually comes to fruition. Alford still has to figure out the offense, I think he’ll get better each week and be in the mix for sure. Huard and Wilson are also new in the offense so it will take some time. I didn’t list all the receivers who will get time, just who I think is are the top 3 at the moment. Pittman had the best week one but Singer has the ability to be special as we know.

crazyute
            Participant

???

22Ute22
          Participant

Very interesting on Rose tbh. His spring game was just no good, while Isaac looked great as a true freshman. I wonder if it’s just Whitt’s antiquated approach of limiting mistakes, which is honestly playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

But again, this type of speculation and questioning is what happens when the media and fans are completely kept in the dark.

Central Coast Ute
          Participant

I hope we don’t see Wilson and Huard bail if this is case.

Onlyu
            Participant

Yeah it’s way too early to make that comment.

It’s Isaac’s first camp and Huard has been to 3 schools already. No one is thinking about leaving after week one. They all got significant reps last week so can’t be unhappy with their opportunities YET.

Charlie
              Participant

I also agree with No Worries here. Wilson and Huard both know and accept this is Rising’s year, I believe. Next year’s QB is expected to take this season, the spring, and possibly ’25 fall camp to resolve. I don’t believe this year’s late game QB will impact that much. Only the need for a starter for some games this season will strain the competition for ’25 QB1 out thru spring. As a side note, I didn’t catch when or if Wilson will have surgery. The best possible situation for a QB is to spend a year learning from a great QB particularly if undersized at all or difficulty to keep the QB clean.

I think many underestimate Whitt’s willingness to pass more. I think he is very willing if he has the horses to do so (this year looks better than usual) and he sees the throw game not elevating the risk related to taking care of the ball. The air comes out of the ball when we have a lead and we are hunting a better spot in the conference pecking order. Maybe not so much if we are hunting parity with top 10 teams.

HATUman
                Participant

We all know how much Whitt hates turning the ball over. Last year we all saw how much trust he had in our QBs, and everybody and their dog knew it. The throw game was nonexistent and everyone loaded the box and shut down the run game. Last years RB woes had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with that. I think with more success in the throw game we’re going to see some great runs from our RBs this year. I’d love to see Bernard ball out for his final year, and I’d love to see Glover reach his potential.

Rick
          Participant

I’m not surprised at the wideouts – all run and get out of breaks at an elite level. They also have rapport with Rising. It will be fun to see who else gets on the field. A little size is missing from that starting group – McClain, Alford (especially), Caldarella and Lyons all have good size.

I love that Bentley is emerging. He has terrific size and I’m sure King, Suguturaga and Ryan are all right there.

Pleasant surprise to read that Rose is rising (no pun intended). I love that our quarterback room is so competitive.

Thank you OnlyU.

Onlyu
            Participant

Miki is in the best shape of his life…clearly worked his butt off this Summer. Will be interesting to see if he can sneak in there. Just a stacked TE room.

22Ute22
              Participant

I don’t think Miki’s problem was athleticism, although that certainly helps. There were just some moments last year when his TE play was, uh, questionable to say the least, which is expected from a position change.

CityCreekUte
      Participant

At this point in camp I doubt much of anything is really a known known and the guessing at too much is like a Schrodinger’s cat and by opening it up is potentially changing the outcome.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

What’s a pass? You mean “throw” game.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.