Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

I wholeheartedly agree with this message!

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I wholeheartedly agree with this message!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      12 1
      MDUte
      Participant

9 1
      AlohaUte
      Participant

Well it’s not a more valid claim and it’s stupid to denigrate theirs but not ours. That’s zoob behavior. But you are right that we should claim it and be recognized as co-champs. Two recognized selectors that year put Utah #1 and the NCAA recognizes it. So should we.

ProudUte
      Participant

Well…

I think that our 2008 team was much better than the BYU 1984 team. We beat two teams that were ranked in the top ten in the last poll and two more that were in the top 20. In 1984 BYU beat NO ranked teams. They did beat Pitt in the first game of the season, but Pitt ended up 3-8. They beat a 6-6 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl.

That being said, BYU officially won the 1984 Championship and we did not. So, I don’t think we have a more valid claim IMO.

In 1984, I was excited to see a WAC team win the championship. I thought that it helped the state and our conference. That was 40 years ago.

Go Utes!!!

7 2
        MDUte
        Participant

All I’m saying is what Utah accomplished in 2008 is FAR more impressive than BYU’s natty in 1984. We don’t have to defend or explain away anything from being voted by the 2 polls that recognized Utah as National Champs that year. BYU’s national championship, on the other hand, is the most controversial in history.

2008 National Champ
          Participant

1960 is the most controversial. I think 6 different schools claim it.

As for 2008.,,

Dallas
          Participant

It’s not really controversial as in they are widely accepted as the champs, but it is the most unearned.

Utah
          Participant

Yes, BYU won it all in 1984.

Yes, Utah’s 2004 and 2008 seasons were waaaaayyyyy more impressive.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.