Next:
Arizona @  Utah
ESPN

If FSU and Clemson stay put in the ACC

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If FSU and Clemson stay put in the ACC

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      4 10
      Kirk Herbstreet
      Participant

I would give my right arm for Utah to defect to the ACC.

2 2
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

If all current members stay put, going to the ACC is a no-brainer. That being said, no way in hell I’d go there without having a full media payout.

1 1
        Kirk Herbstreet
        Participant

100%. But getting the best team from the Big XII would be a big enough victory that I think they would pay full freight.

4 1
        PhiladelphiaUte
        Participant

With or without Florida St, Clemson, and Miami, short of a BigTen invite, I would have much preferred the ACC. And especially if we could have taken Colorado and Arizona St with us. If those aforementioned hopeful defectors were to stay, all the better.

That said, since we’re already here, unrestrained by any exit penalties, I think we might be better off where we are. If we really believe we have a shot at a BigTen invite, not having an exit penalty positions us better for when the next consolidation occurs.

3 1
      Kirk Herbstreet
      Participant

Tough crowd. Would love to hear the thought process from those who disagree. Having Clemson, FSU, Miami and even Notre Dame on the schedule would do more for our brand nationwide then anything we have now. I love Oklahoma State and would love for them to come too, but they are locked in to the Big XII thanks to the 99 year exit penalty.

TruckStopTerrors
        Participant

I think the biggest arguments against are the increased travel for all sports which come with increased costs and potential downsides in terms of playing well week in and week out with the added travel. The other argument is signing onto a potential GOR running through 2036(I think that’s the year) if that thing actually stands to legal scrutiny. Do we also know that ESPN won’t exercise their exit clause(after 2026 I think) in order to cannibalize the league even more? The reason I believe the FSU, NC, Miami and Clemson to this or that conference talk is dead right now is because the litigation involving everything is not done. Once that is done, you may see some interest from the Super Conferences.

The positives are pretty clear, better brands, I’m pretty sure more money, academic affiliations are better, and I’m sure many would find the destinations better. It’s certainly a better conference in terms of brands. If the goal is the B1G, we may just be better off at this point staying put, hopefully being very successful in this league making playoff appearances, and then if the invite comes, we take that without the headaches surrounding a legal battle with the ACC.

Dallas
        Participant

If we stay put, we are the FSU and Clemson of the big12. We can perennially be looked at as big dogs by beating mediocre majors and getting up for the occasional win against a big team. Otherwise we’ll be trading losses with Clemson and FSU.

4 1
        Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I didn’t downvote you, but I don’t see how that’s going to help. The ACC doesn’t make much more money than the B12, and like the B12, they will only be getting one team into the playoff per year. Utah has a great shot at making the playoff often in the B12, which I think will do more for the brand than playing the teams you mentioned during the regular season. But what do I know.
        I do agree with PhiladelphiaUte. I would have preferred the ACC from the beginning, but since we’re here, might as well stay.

2 1
          Gugstanley
          Participant

I would have preferred the ACC when the conference shifts came along. Probably need two more teams out west to help with the travel burden.

tarheelio
      Participant

As an alumnus of Utah and the University of National Champions, I selfishly would be all in on the idea. Utah is already traveling very far for Big12 games, almost always far enough to require air travel. Most ACC destinations have much better airports and flights than the Big12 schools. The non-revenue sports could play in the Western Pod more often than distant campuses.

FSU and Miami have a pile of national championships in football and Florida is either the best state or second best to Texas as a recruiting source for football talent.

76% of the US population lives in the Eastern or Central time zones, almost half of the US lives in the Eastern time zone. Eyeballs give you stature, recruiting and revenue.

If I ruled the world, I would take us back to the small conferences. When I started college, you could realistically drive to any road game – with Wake, Duke, NC State and UNC within 2 hours of each other on the same interstate. Atlanta and College Park, MD were the longest road trips from Chapel Hill. But we are NEVER going back to that world.

Utah
      Participant

Amen to that. The Big 12…sucks.

I think the ACC and Big 12 will dissolve and 2-3 new conferences will merge. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you end up with 4-6 ACC teams and 4-6 PAC-12 teams in a nationwide conference where the west coast teams play each other and have two cross country road games and two ACC teams come to them every year.

That would be so much better than playing Houston and Cincinnati and UCF and Texas Tech and OKSU. Bleh.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

Utah just needs to win the big12 for a few years and keep lobbying for the Big10 invite. Utah isn’t a minor market so I think it happens.

lgt4141
        Participant

Keep winning and compete for the Big 12 championship year in and year out and Utah will be in a good spot in the next realignment. IMO the best thing for the future is to keep winning. Utah has grown a lot as a market but winning will be the best thing they can do for the future.

ukiyoronin
      Participant

Winning is more important right now than playing flashy teams imo. In the college football landscape, big 12 country isn’t the flashiest, but it’s important that they know what Utah football is. Pac-12 knew. Hopefully Utah plays up to standard and the Big 12 will also know. Gaining notoriety in these areas will pay off if Utah wins.

Uteanooga
      Participant

If the ACC/B12 decks are going to be shuffled further it would make more sense to start over with the top half of each and make a new conference IMO. The bottom half of each does not move the needle much.

“If FSU and Clemson stay put” is a big if when they are trying to hard to get out. Living through P12 hospice care was not a lot of fun so I’d rather not do it again.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.