Next:
Utah @  Utah State
CBS Sports Network

Interesting poll question on Twitter/X

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Interesting poll question on Twitter/X

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      MDUte
      Participant

I’m excited and confident about Morgan Scalley taking over as HC whenever Whitt decides to retire. However, if faced with an opportunity to bring back Urban Meyer for a couple of years (because even if Utah is a power school now, I’ve got to think UM would use Utah as an opportunity to make the jump back to a B1G/SEC school) I believe you’d be crazy not to bring in UM and give Morgan an opportunity to work under and learn from one of the best to ever do it just like Whitt did. Coaching under both Whitt and UM, 2 legends, would only further prepare MS to hit the ground running as Utah’s Head Coach IMO. But what does everyone else think??

The Miami Ute
      Participant

The interesting thing is that Meyer is five years younger than Whitt. So, you have to imagine that he still has gas left in the tank. Hypothetically speaking, let’s say that Utah wins the Big XII next season, makes the CFP, and makes a good showing there. At that point, Whitt decides to call it a day, requiring Utah to get a new HC. Personally, if Meyer is interested at the same salary Whitt is currently getting, I don’t know how you turn him down. To me, it would be the equivalent of Harbaugh going to Michigan. I mean, we’re talking about a guy that’s won three Nattys…

2008 National Champ
        Participant

It would completely depend on the state of the roster. Urban likes taking over a squad that is ready for big things while 2025 Utah is looking like as close to a complete rebuild as 2017 Utah.

Off the top of my head, those exhausting their eligibility and/or potential draftees:

QB1
        TE1
        RB1
        3 or 4 receivers
        DT1, DT2, DT3
        LB1, LB2, LB3
        CB1

The Miami Ute
          Participant

That’s true but we live in the world of unlimited transfers and NIL. I have to imagine that a guy of Meyer’s stature, combined with Utah’s NIL, would be able to attract a number of talented players to the Hill. I mean, if Meyer gets back in the game there really isn’t any other HC in college football that has more name recognition.

NarfUte
      Participant

Cheese fries is essentially Moose reincarnated. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s actually a byu fan

3 11
      chinngiskhaan
      Participant

Hell no. I’d rather hire bronco mendenhall.

AlohaUte
      Participant

I’m totally happy with Scalley taking the reigns, but wouldn’t complain if it were Meyer.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

First of all Meyers is not coming back to Utah. Best case scenario is Scalley head coach and bring back Jay Hill as DC. Keep the assistants in place. Sitake is on his last leg with the “Y” and they will hire Hill as HC. They will not let him go unfortunately for us. If Sitake can’t get to a bowl game this year he and Roderick will be gone. Scalley is an Utah man all the way. Give him the shot he deserves.

D T
      Participant

Absolutely!!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Participant

I’d take Urban Meyer in a heart beat, and consider ourselves LUCKY that he’d decide to return. I don’t see Meyer’s presence on the hill diminishing Scalley’s qualifications to take the job.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.