Next:
Utah @  Arizona State
ESPN

Are Jonah Elliss and Cole Bishop Gone After this Season?

Beat Arizona Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Are Jonah Elliss and Cole Bishop Gone After this Season?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      The Miami Ute
      Participant

I think Jonah is gone. Right now, PFF has him as a very early 2nd RD pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. Barring a catastrophic injury and a collapse in his in-game performance, there’s a pretty good chance that he can creep into the 1st RD. Even if he’s projected to go in the 2nd RD, I’m pretty certain that he leaves at the end of this season to go on to play on Sundays.

Cole Bishop is a different situation. PFF currently has him slotted as a possible 5th or 6th RD pick. It would probably be beneficial for him to come back to Utah for his senior season, ball out, and see if he can move up draft boards. By the way, PFF is not liking what it’s been seeing from Bishop this season. According to how they grade players, he’s regressed in a major way from his Sophomore season. Last year, his score was 75.5. So far this year, it’s at 66.8. Put simply, last season a less experienced Bishop was in the Top 18 percent of all college safeties. This season, a more experienced Bishop is not grading in the Top 50 percent of all college safeties.

At this point, those are the only two Utah players that PFF considers draftable. Your thoughts?

ProudUte
      Participant

I think Johan Elliss still needs to put on some weight and gain some strength. He is small by NFL standards.

I believe you may be right on Bishop. If he has a good NIL deal, he may stay.

chinngiskhaan
        Participant

I don’t like these kind of arguments. Why can’t he put on weight and gain strength while in the NFL? He’ll have more time for it.

ProudUte
          Participant

He can put on weight in the NFL, but I think he gets drafted higher if he is a bit bigger and stronger. In the end, I think he makes more money by waiting a year. But, that’s just me. Regardless, I support Elliss whatever he decides is best for him.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

PFF has Elliss as the #42nd ranked player in their Big Board. At that ranking, plus Edge being a premium position in the NFL, hard to see how he stays if he’s predicted to be a low 1st Rd/high 2nd Rd pick. I’m sure he looks at Kuithe and understands that it’s better to do something a year too early than a year too late.

DataUte
      Participant

Elliss? Yes. Bishop? Might depend on who is coming back because he could certainly improve his position in a new conference next year. He has enough on film to show his skills and has fought injury this year, maybe contributing to the decline in rating.

Does PFF have minimum requirements to rate? There could be a couple that should be draftable but are coming back from injury or are injured, but not sure if they would be higher than UDFA. Laumea comes to mind. Kuithe, Rising need another year to show they are back from injury. Probably Micah too. These last three could have been picked up late sans injury questions. Bernard might take a Pledger like path.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Data, as far as I understand it, PFF doesn’t have a minimum snap requirement for ratings. Their only requirement is that the player be draft eligible.

2008 National Champ
      Participant

Bishop’s biggest issue is that his role changed this year. He’s never been a coverage safety but since he and Vaki are best suited for the same position, they’ve been switching off in coverage and box. Bishop was huge around and behind the LOS last year but hasn’t been as effective this time around.

Part of the issue is out of his control. In past years, the DLine has needed help getting pressure. With their ability to get home with just 4, the back 7 has been tasked with coverage more than years past.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.